Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Explorer 400??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if i should buy a used 1999 xplorer 400 4x4 for $2600. It is in great condition. The only problem that i have is that it is chain. I know that on my old 93 trail boss 4x4, the chain would always break. Is there still going to be a lot of problems with the 99's? Also, is this a reliable quad?
-Thanks

Old 10-22-2001, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

you're going to have the best 4x4 quad EVER,with the concentric drive system,nothing to worry about chain,proven reliable engine,get one before they still alive.

Old 10-23-2001, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

big 4X4,

The 99 Xplorer has concentric drive. This puts the pivot point of the swing arm at the same point the front sprocket is in. This means that the chain tension stays the same no matter how much the swing arm moves.

As for your 93 T Boss, you say you have broken chains? This tells me that the chain was not properly adjusted. Or you just really jump it alot and I mean big jumps. Seriously though I ride my Polaris HARD. I used to go through chains and sprockets in about three months until I figured out what I was doing wrong.
#1, I wasn't leaving enough slack in my chain. So every time I maxed out my rear suspension, I would stretch the chain. This in time would eat up the sprockets.
#2, My swing arm was a little loose and actually allowed the rear end to pivot just a little. This is not good for the chain either because it chews up the O-rings and they begin falling out.

As for the 99 Xplorer, it sounds like an excellent deal. As long as it is in decent shape. A 2001 will run about twice as much.

Old 10-23-2001, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've have worn out ALOT parts on my 00 Xplorer 400cc.Its in the shop all the time.I've had 3 chains/sprockets.3 sets A-arm bushings,two sets of swing arm bushings and pivot pins,EVERY driveshafts been replaced,the primary and secondary clutch has been replaced once,ALL my brake rotors and Master cyclinder relaced,axle bearings done once,throttle cable replaced,5 sets outter tie rod ends,3 sets steering stem bushings,and now its back in the shop for the right side outter tie rod and speedometer is going crazy on me.Thank God for the extended warrenty I have.If your looking for a fast ATV that requires ALOT of TLC and dont mind it wearing out parts alot,this could be your baby?

Bill

Old 10-23-2001, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

MUDDY4LIFE,

I've got a couple serious questions for you: What were the symptoms of the A-arm bushings being worn? What caused the driveshafts to be replaced? I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Waylan

Old 10-23-2001, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

The driveshafts were all replaced because of the slop in them as they entered the gear boxs.You could take your hand anh move any of the shafts and see a huge amount of play where they go into the gear boxs.

The A-arm bushings?Move either of your front tires in a front to rear motion by hand.If you detect any FORWARD movement/play while doing this in the area of your A-Arms,your A-Arm bushings are probably worn.Check to make sure the front and rear A-Arm bolts are torqued to specs first.

Bill

Old 10-23-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Don't worry too much about the chain. You WILL have to keep it adjusted, and you WILL have to lube it often, but if you take care of it, it will take care of you.
I don't jump with my Xplorer, nor do I 'seek out' the deepest mudholes. I just usually go where everyone else does, and try to have fun, while occasionally blasting around just about any other utility machine out there. I left the stock tires on, and made no engine mods, nor do I have a lift kit. I do, however, have 5200 miles, with very few repairs. In fact, I have very little extra repair expense than I had with my Honda Fourtrax 300 when it was this age. If my brother and his genious friend hadn't fried my belt, I would say the Polaris actually would have had less repair expense.
I use mine for fun trail riding, farm chores such as irrigating & checking cows (calving season I spend about half the time in 4-wd because of the slimy 'cow mud' of questionable depth), fence fixing (which involves pulling a trailer with a weight from 500# (in the hills) to 1000# (along the flats and down roads & 'good' trails)), and just general running around.
The only thing I have really noticed is that when I pull the trailer a lot, the chain stretches fast unless I lube it twice as often as when I run empty.

Old 04-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default Explorer 400??????????????

The 99 has a shaft drive front, other than that it is the same machine as your old 350L. Just has a bigger engine and ez-shift transmission. Keep in mind, you need a "weak link" in your drive train if you are abusing you machine. It is a lot easier to replace a chain than it is a transmission or final drive. Especially out on the trail.

Old 04-26-2003, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

If the explorer is in good condition, 2600.00 is an excellent price .. it's actually
worth 500-600 dollars more if good condition and reasonable mileage

atvnew.com gives nada values.. usually , if atv is in good condition, you
can expect to pay about halfway between low and average retail in my
area of the country... you're getting a great buy if reasonable mileage..

Old 04-26-2003, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

I can't say enough how much I love my Xplorer.
I love the 2-stroke. It's tuff and can go through about anything. I do like how with the 2-stroke when you get into trouble like mud you can nail the gas and it comes to life really quick. I'm going to put a speed kit in mine so I can get more out of that great motor.
Okay I'll shut up now.
Xplorers are by far my favorite 4X4 quad.
Go for it you'll be happy with it.

Quick Reply: Explorer 400??????????????