Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do you moto-cross?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been racing my Trail Blazer for the last 4 years an have two 3rds for the year a 4th an 2nd. I have put the 400 motor in my TB before an it gains around 20 to 25 lbs. Still working on the 250 motor to get all out of it. Nice Quad have you had any problems with the chain breakage I go throught around 7 chain in the season witch is 20 races go through about one ever 3 races.

Old 10-23-2001, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Daransport, that is one kick *** sport dude!
I like it!

Mike Chero, where did you get the wider A-Arms?

Jim, your pictures are working dude!

Old 10-24-2001, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

bmxatv 10,

I got the wider A-arms from Aaen. They are supposed to make the machine wider by about 3". They do widen it to some extent, but they take the width measurement from the bottom of the tires, unlike the standard double A-arm method of measuring the length of the a-arms themselves. So while the A-arms themselves might be only 3/4" wider, they will angle the wheels out to 3" wider. Hot Seat also makes wider A-arms. The longer tie rods, I had custom made for me at a local machine shop for $30 a pair.

Old 10-24-2001, 01:39 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Did you actually have it weighed or did you do what I did, weigh each piece as it came off? If you didn't add the chromoly swing arm & steering stem or remove shifter & linkage it looks like it is possible for still more weight to come off. Did you ever concider lightening the flywheel or does it rev fast enough w/ the race pipe where a lighter flywheel is not needed? I was curious what you weigh, I'm at 200 but w/ gear I'm probably at 230lbs. Maybe I need a couple sets of heavy duty springs up front, just kidding. I'm really encouraced by what your telling me, it is possible to jump the long distances w/ struts but for years allot of people have been asking what the highest or farthest anyone has ever jumped a Polaris & no one would step up to the plate, until now. I may look strongly into coverting my 4wd into a MX 2wd as long as I can still go back to 4wd. My first inqury is into the mods needed for the HPD lightweight tranny to fit into my machine. Thanks
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Old 10-24-2001, 07:46 PM
Range Rover

Jim...I did weigh my quad...I simply put a digital scale under each tire, then added them all together...pretty simple! The flywheel is lightened. It was done by HPD. It was supposed to have dropped 2.3lbs, but I really don't know! I weigh 205 right now, but I want to get back down to 195. That is the perfect weight for me at 6'1". I have never had any problems with struts when I was jumping. If anything, I would say that they handle an impact just as good as dual a-arms with shocks. There really isn't that much difference if you stop and think about it.
I added a few more pictures to my album. Check them out here!!

Old 10-25-2001, 01:42 PM
jim
Pro Rider

On the 96 there was about 6.5" of strut travel I think & w/ your FOX/HPD setup do you still have about the same amount of travel? Thats the front strut that I dont think is availible anymore correct? By the way, how have you been placing compared to 400EX, 250R's & Banshees's that I'm sure your racing up against? It's amaizing how far the low powered 400 EX's w/ pro suspension will jump. I may out corner/accelerate them but they just sail on the big jumps while I'm braking. I would love to see a Polaris keeping up w/ them at a track someday especially w/ struts instead of having to go to the VERY expensive HPD race frame just to compete. Theres hope for me yet.
Thanks
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Old 10-25-2001, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

Jim...I have approx. 8" of travel in the front. I could have about two inches more if I remove the bump stops. I haven't hit them yet after jumping, but you never know what will happen! I don't race with 400 EXs. I do race with 250Rs and Banshees though. I also race with LT250Rs and 500zillas. I do my fair share of placing in the top three!!There have only been two races that I didn't finish due to a chain problem and a clutching problem...one of my weights shattered!