Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do you moto-cross?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 12:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone other than myself moto-cross their Polaris quad? I would really like to see someone else at the starting gate!!! To see my MX machine click here.

Old 10-23-2001, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider

Daransport,

I believe that jim from Pittsburgh does. I tried it once and was sore for a week. I'll stick to cross country from now on.

Old 10-23-2001, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

That is one tuff looking Polaris. I can't believe you can pull a 13/28 ratio ecspecially in racing MX. Motor must put out alot of HP. What can I say, other than I envy you.

Where did you get the plastic?

Old 10-23-2001, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

nice sport man,how the engine responded to the .040 over bore?

Old 10-23-2001, 12:10 PM
Range Rover

The engine really didn't change a whole lot with the overbore. The reason that I run the 13/28 ratio is MX. I tried almost every other ratio and I couldn't keep the front end down plus get the top end that I needed for the long straight stetches in some races. Cycle Specialties ran a Dyno test for me($145) and I am now getting 66hp @ 6850rpm!! The lowest reading, of four tests, before the final tuning, was 62hp @ 6700rpm. Having my machine put on a dyno was the best thing that I could have done. It wasn't friendly on the wallet, but to get the extra power that I did, I probably would have had to spend a whole lot more!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2001, 12:12 PM
Range Rover

One thing that I failed to mention...THANKS for all of the comments on my machine!!

Old 10-23-2001, 01:33 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Wow!!! Nice machine. Did you have to go to heavy front springs? How high, vertical drop on flat ground can you fall before casing? My max is about 5 foot & thats w/ Works struts at 50psi max w/ stock springs. Did you go w/ the Durablue rear axle & how much lighter was it than stock? Did you ever put the machine on a diet yet & if so what & how much weight did you take off. I've been going to the MX tracks for the practices but I dont compete. I wish I could afford a MX quad & a trail quad but I cant so I'm sticking w/ my Scrambler 4X4. My machine is down to about 465lbs but I wanted to convert it to a 2wd to drop the 50lbs diff between the 2wd & 4wd or down to 410lbs for summer MX & put the 4wd back on for the rest of the year. Now that I run spacers front & rear w/ short Domminator tires it corners great, no high siding. Are you able to repeatdly do all the doubles where you race & whats the dist? Is your lower rubber engine mount getting twisted from all the impacts of landing, mine is? Would you please do me a favor & go to my below photo albumn & let me know if you can see any pictures there or just empyy picture frames. I cant see any pictures there but Yahoo said everything is fine. I dont know whats wrong w/ it.
Thanks
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler
http://photos.yahoo.com/jim400scram

Old 10-23-2001, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Daransport,

I know where you're coming from on the problem of wheelies. I went to a longer swingarm (2.5&quot. I felt that this was too excessive as the tires spin too much. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5-2"+ should be fine.

Also notice the front end of my Sport, it may not look like it, but it has over 9" of travel. I had to use wider A-arms, longer Works struts, longer tie rods and Hot Seat springs to get it that way though. The front end is very cushy and resists bottoming quite well.

Old 10-23-2001, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

Jim...My quad went on a major diet and finally weighed in at 389lbs!! I have HPD front and rear springs. They are a little stiffer but with the remote reservoirs, the landing from BIG jumps are very soft! Some of the jumps on the MX track where I practice throw you as high as 12ft!! Some of the doubles are 30-40ft, triples are 40-50ft, and the table top is 60ft. No problem with any of them!! I went with the Durablue axle to widen my machine, not lighten it. I have no idea how it compares in weight to the stocker. Also, I couldn't get your pictures to come up...I'll try again though.
Mike...I waited for your picture to come up and it never did. Your wife's came up, but not yours. I'll try again on that one too!!

Thanks for the reply!!

Old 10-23-2001, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

I would love to get into the GNCC Racing. Looking like fun. Maybe someday when I can afford to blow the money.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Do you moto-cross?