Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stiff Shift Lever

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 95 Polaris Trail Blazer. The shift lever is really stiff. Is there anything I can do to loosen it up a bit?

Old 10-23-2001, 12:33 PM
Range Rover

When you try to put it in gear, does it "snap" real loud at the shifter box? If so, you might have a worn out shifter box. If the "snap" isn't coming from the shifter box, listen to the case when you are trying to put the TB in gear. Trying to put it in gear with the rpms too high, too many times, might cause a gear to chip or break a tooth. Get back to me with your actual symptoms!!

Old 10-23-2001, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought the machine. I brought it home stipped the plastic off and cleaned it up using a degreaser and water. I don't remember the shifter being stiff before I cleaned it up. It makes a creeking/squeaking sound when I move the lever. It feels tight and hard to move. It doesn't snap and I know about the rpm's being too high which causes the gears to grind. I have sprayed some WD-40 on the moving parts of the shift lever but it doesn't seem to help.

Old 10-23-2001, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

You first need to figure out why it is stiff. It can be in the transmission, usually from too-fast of idle speed causing the belt to drag on the pulley making it difficult to get in & out of gear.
If you feel it is actually in the lever, check the oil in it! The shift lever actually has an oil reservoir in it. If you look at the bottom of the lever, there is a little 'tub' that has one or maybe 2 rods coming out of it, with the linkage to the transmission attatched to the rods. Lift up the boot, and you should see some oil in there (you may need a screwdriver to do this). Oil level should be above the little rods I just mentioned. If oil leaks out around the rods, you have 2 choices. Either use a light grease instead of oil, so it will stay put, or replace the o-rings in the housing. You will need to remove the shift lever, and pull out the rod that oil is leaking around. In the bore where the rod traveled, you will see an o-ring or seal. That is what you will need to replace to keep the oil in.
To be honest, if it was mine, and an older unit, I would just pack some light wheel bearing grease in there, and call it good enough.

Farmr

Old 10-23-2001, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Farmr123,

I know on the newer trailblazers, trailbosses, and all other bikes without a low range, there is only a plastic bushing that the shifter pivots in. There isn't a selector box like ours has. Even on the new Sp700 with it's in-line shifting, it only has a plastic pivot bushing. So, I would guess that either that bushing needs lubing, or it's in the tranny.