Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 700, Prairie 650 or 660 Grizz??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide which of these 3 I want to buy. I havent heard to much about the sp 700, but I keep hearing how good the 650 is. How do they all compare and what are the benifits and drawbacks of each?? I know that the sp700 weighs 750lbs but is that really that big of deal? And how bout the 660 Grizz? How does that compare to both of the others?? I own a sp500 now and i dont really notice it. Can anyone compare all three of these monsterous quads and tell me about them?? Please help!!

<< '96 Sportmans 500 Livin' and Lovin' it >>

Old 11-23-2001, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

Does anyone ever respond to this?? Isnt this the biggest issue out there right now: whether the Sp700 is better than the rest? Doesnt anyone have any opinions or facts on this??

Old 11-23-2001, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Don't have many facts, but have heard lots of opinions.

First, the 650 has been out a while, and seems to be mostly over it's growing pains.

The new Grizzly likewise is getting the bugs taken care of.

The 700 however, seems to have an ongoing problem with a bad o-ring causing a coolant leak. Not sure if it is the o-ring itself, or warpage of the cover the o-ring is supposed to seal.

Much, much has been said about the weight of the 700. However, keep in mind it has tires that probably weigh from 10 to 15 pounds each more than the other 2 quads mentioned. The Kawasaki is listed as the lightest, but doesn't even come standard with a hitch ( I understand that if they can keep the 'standard' weight under a certain amount, they can pay a lower import/export tax). By the time you add 489s or a similar heavy ply tire, (and hitch &amp; misc. to the Kawasaki) the weight difference is likely only about half what is claimed.

The 700 is supposed to have the best ride of the 3, and very good handling, as well as the most ground clearance, and highest top speed.

The Kawasaki is supposed to have better acceleration, sporty handling, and has a unique lever to lock the front differential.

The Grizz kind of splits the two, in terms of ride quality &amp; handling, and has no real faults that I am aware of, except for a rev limiter that limits tire speed when in 4wd.

Guess it all boils down to preference. If you liked your Sp500, the 700 is basically a bigger, faster version of the same. However, I would wait until they fix the coolant leak before I jumped onto the bandwagon. Not that Polaris won't fix it right, but from what I heard, the parts to fix it right are on backorder, so you will not be able to ride until they come in if the one you get springs a leak.

Old 11-23-2001, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

I have looked at all 3 of these and I have definately ruled out 1 and it is the Kawi. This machine is a nice ride and has plenty of power but that wasn't enough. I examined this bike and found out that everything is cable operated. My mountain bike has bigger cables than this thing and I know how much trouble I get from my bike. The diff lock is cable operated and is terrible to operate in a turn. Just can't hang on to it on an off camber right hand turn. The brakes are also cable operated and with a ride as fast as this and as big as this it just doesn't feel safe. I want something more reassuring than cables to stop me! The Yamaha is next on my list to get examined. I do know that the Kawi and Polaris feels better in power and ride, just need to examine all the mechanicals. As it stands now, the Kawi is out of my hunt!! Good luck Yamaha and Polaris!

Scott [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2001, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Scott, you're about 90 minute's from me . if you want to set up a ride sometime, get in touch.

Old 11-23-2001, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

The new Dirtwheels just did the monster ATV shootout between the quads you mentioned. The Praire pretty much ran away with it. They did say the Yamaha gave the best ride for an all day trip. All topped out at 76 mph. They were disappointed with the Sportsman. They said the Sportsman weighed 140 pounds more than the Kaw and the Yam, and costs $400 more, and the floorboards were as flimsy as they could be, and the motor is way outdated.

Old 11-23-2001, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

Danny, my group goes to blue all the time. I'm sure you've been there since you live so close. We are supposed to go tomorrow unless it is raining.

Scott

Old 11-23-2001, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

For one thing they said they topped out at 67mph not 76. The flimsy floorboards they were talking about were the Griz not the sp700. And that out dated motor is all honda uses, so it can't be to bad. And as far as price being $400 more just look at the tires and rims on it there is your $400. And the 140lbs more, 49lbs of that is in those best stock tires so far. So if your going to put down the 700, try to get the facts right.

Old 11-23-2001, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

Quadfather,
Just to set the record straight on the floorboards, Dirtwheels was referring to the Yamaha not the Polaris. Quote:&quot;A weak point noticed on the Grizzly right away was the floorboards. They have flimsy supports which allow them to get bent up and torn off the fenders when you get into the big rocks.&quot; This is on page 64 January 2002 issue. As far as the top speed goes, the text on page 60 states each quad was blazing along at the same top speed-around 67MPH. This is more inline with the top speed on my Sportsman 700. They apparently transposed the numbers to 76 in the picture caption on page 66. I wish my 700 did go 76! As long as I am at it, on page 66 they also state that all the quads have some sort of speedometer and fuel gauge. The 700 does not have a fuel gauge, although I wish it did.

PS. GE4x4,
You beat me to the post but just barely.

Old 11-23-2001, 06:58 PM
Range Rover

Don't forget about the rack extenders on the 700, that alone is roughly a $200 option.

Scott [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: SP 700, Prairie 650 or 660 Grizz??????