Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sp700,Griz660,Kawi650,Quest650 and the winner

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been hearing weight issues on the 700 from the very start. People said it was going to drive like a "TANK". I recall someone saying "polaris has always been good in the mud, but at 740lbs. the 700 is going to sink like a rock". I've heard people say that the 650, 660 and 700 all had about the same horse power, but the 700 would be the slowest because of the extra weight! well, 1st place in tight woods and fast trails------ so it's no tank! 1st place in mud & water----------- so it's no rock! 1st place in top speed------------- so it's not slow! I don't think this was supposed to be a reliabilty contest, it was just a performance contest............ maybe some just don't want to believe the FACTS![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2001, 12:04 AM
Range Rover

Lets face it. They took these quads and they did their test and to them it turned out like it did. They are probably pretty good riders and know what they are doing. Top speed you cant argue about. You either do it or you dont. I will tell you one thing the 700 outhandles the HO by a long shot. Personally I like the ride better of the HO, even though I lose some handling. I like the comfort to be in the saddle for a long time. The 700 however has improved alot of things over the HO, design wise, to make it a better package. I love the HO too. I want both and I am going to buy an HO to go along with the 700. I wish I hadnt sold my other 500 SP even though it wasnt an HO. You buy your quads for what you like and you live with the things you dont like...........top speed no big deal. These arent fast compared to let's say a Suzuki Hayabusa. I own a Hayabusa and I go fast all the time. I can go faster in first gear that any of the big bores can top out. I get 80 MPH in first. I like the polaris because of the loads it can carry, the suspension, the tires, and the looks and the way that it fits me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I know when I go for rides with my friends there are alot of different quads and they each have their advantages and disadvantages but we have a good time and have alot of fun and conversation.......mostly about quads and it's all positve. I'll tell you one quad that impresses me and that's the Yamaha Warrior. We have a couple of Warrior riders and they go everywhere this 700 has gone, with the exception of deep mud.........and all without 4 wheel drive and engine braking. These riders are 55+ yeares old too...........damned amazing............so lighten up, have fun, enjoy your quad..............

Old 11-19-2001, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

I'll be happy to tow anybody out of any mud hole with my heavy 28 inch outlaws! but this would only be after I go pass them on the left or right side.... All joking aside I hope the 700 works out good for everbody who owns one, lets just keep on riding and having fun!

Old 11-19-2001, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

I'm glad to see the Polaris do well in the magazines test even though I dont put alot of faith into their tests. I allways read what they have to say and try to pick out small bits of info that I wouldnt usually notice myself and then leave everything else up to the test rides and my experience with time on other guys quads. If I could have purchased a 700 for the price I bought my 650 I would have been on the 700 now. I have never had any troubles with my Scram and for that reason the 700 got first consideration. When it came down to it though I could get the 650 for 1000.00 less than the 700 and I couldnt see that much of a difference one way or the other. Whatever you buy I think all of the large displacement quads today are going to put a smile on your face.

Old 11-19-2001, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with whoever it was that sid they would not but a 700 because of the weight. I think the Grizz is much too heavy, there's no way I'd want something that was 100lbs (or more) heavier.

I know that for many of you the weight is not really an issue. It depends on the conditions where you live. In Canada we have a lot of muskeg and peat bogs. Once you break through you're screwed. You can drive on a floating bed of peat, and the bottom can be a long ways down. Ground clearence won't help you, taller tires won't help you, more power won't help you. Lighter weight will help, in fact it can make all the difference.

Of course it's only like that in places, so you need to have a bike that good at other stuff as well.
But if someone with a SP700 or a Quest were to try and follow me they would sink out of sight.

Old 11-19-2001, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

These comments are in response to various post made above.

9 time out of ten, if a machine will break through, a machine that is only 130lbs lighter will also.

There is no reason for the Polaris to have a locker, as it already has true 4x4. It is just different from most others. It has had this setup for years. Up until the other manufacturers finally decided limited slip was crap (Except Honda and Suzuki), Polaris was the best in the mud. I am glad to see the others making true 4x4 machines.

The SP700 does not need two carbs. The cylinders fire on the opposite stroke, making one carb easily able to handle it. In reality, since the engine fires this way, the carb is only feeding one 340cc (half of 680cc) cylinder at a time.

Please, no one take offense to my comments. I am just stating my opinion and a few facts.

Old 11-19-2001, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kind of find it funny to hear folks making comment that the 700 is way too heavy, but you look down at what they are driving and find they've ditched their stocker flimsy tires for real ones that the polaris comes standard with. Don't they realize the extra weight they have put on their vehicle or do they still think they are floating around with same weight? Don't they get it? Don't they realize if I were to put crap stock tires and aluminum rims on the polaris that the weight difference between the machines would be no more than 40 pounds? As for weight going through muskeg, it is not weight you are worried about, it is ground pressure. As we all know, certain tire combinations exert different pounds per square inch. Simple physics people!!

Darryl

Old 11-19-2001, 07:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

when you read real magazine articles you find out that when the prarie came out they all raved about it no one seems to like the 700 or 660 griz lets face it the prarie hands down spanks them the prarie is for a <u>good</u> trail rider and mud rider the sportsman for hunters and in all the other shootouts the prarie won.

Old 11-19-2001, 08:21 PM
Range Rover

<< y a w n ! oops, ... oh geez, I'm sorry. How did I get over here on the utility quad forum?

3TV[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
>>

LOL I saw the pics of your ride.............I WANT 1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2001, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

you shoudn't beleve what you read.I'll race any 700 though the woods never keep up to the 650

Quick Reply: Sp700,Griz660,Kawi650,Quest650 and the winner