Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sp700,Griz660,Kawi650,Quest650 and the winner

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please give me more info on ridding areas in Mephis Tenn. fast4wdkid do you know about westpoint Tenn.

Old 11-21-2001, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

<<The funny thing I noticed was that they called the Polaris motor "low tech" because it used pushrods. Well, what do they think the Rincon will use? How about all of the other Ute machines from Big Red? Yep, you guessed it, they use PUSH RODS! But of course Honda does this to keep the "all important" center of gravity low. PLEASE, give me a break! I can only stand so much B.S. in one story!>>

You know what I've noticed about this? Some magazines (and some people) say that the Polaris uses outdated pushrod engines, while the Honda uses "Over Head Valves" that keep the center of gravity low. It's like they use "overhead valves" for Honda's ATVs because it doesn't sound as outdated as "pushrods" for Polaris, even though they're the same thing...

Old 11-21-2001, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't got my issue yet, but I don't doubt what Dirtwheels said about the sp700. In past issue's it didn't matter how good a polaris did, they would always find something negative about it. I try not to let the mags sway my mind on what to buy. What I do is read the mag then go to the forums to see real life test. For example All-Terrain Mag gave the tight trails to the sp700 saying that it was easy to steer and tight turning. Now when DW did the test on the 700, they said it had " a decidedly heavier feel to the steering than either thr Griz or the Prairie". So what is it easy or heavy. so then I read what the owners of the 700 have to say, and not one them said that the steering was heavy, in fact they all said it was easier then the HO. Another thing, DW allready said the 650 beat the 660 a few months ago, so you knew the 660 wasn't going to win this one because that would mean that the first shootout was wrong. And if the 700 won everyone would ask what makes the 700 that much better then the 660 (knowing the 660 would take third behind the 650). One more thing, it seems like most of the DW testers like the sport type bikes (solid axels) more then the IRS. And the 700 not having the snap on get go, many of the testers didn't like that, and once I read that I knew then the 700sp will no longer be the KING in DW mind. So my thought is read the mags then read the forum and between the two make your choice on what bike to get.

Old 11-21-2001, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm in the market for a monster quad and reading all these forums hasn't really helped me make up my mind.

Do I get one with flimsy tires and the ability to boil gas and have paint flake and stuttering problems? Do I get the one with the leaky water pump and possible bearing and speedo problems? Do I get the one with no IRS and the least ground clearance no hitch and still relies on cables for braking? (this is 2001 folks!) ? Or do I get the one that I know my dealer AND the manufacturer will stand behind if there is a problem ?

Doesn't seem to be a clear winner to me now is there?

Old 11-21-2001, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yoo ironman

<< Do I get one with flimsy tires and the ability to boil gas and have paint flake and stuttering problems? Do I get the one with the leaky water pump and possible bearing and speedo problems? Do I get the one with no IRS and the least ground clearance no hitch and still relies on cables for braking? (this is 2001 folks!) ? Or do I get the one that I know my dealer AND the manufacturer will stand behind if there is a problem ? >>

If you get a dealer and manufacturer to stand behind thier product
PLEASE,for the love of GOD let me know who and where....
thats I'll go for[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2001, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

<< Do I get the one with no IRS and the least ground clearance no hitch and still relies on cables for braking? (this is 2001 folks!) ? Or do I get the one that I know my dealer AND the manufacturer will stand behind if there is a problem ? >>

That cable actuated sealed rear braking system is actually pretty high tech, you're right it is 2001. Although Honda still likes drum brakes!! The $29 hitch was left off for some sort of tariff tax to keep the weight under 604lbs, so you actually save a few hundred dollars because they left it off. Dealers are day and night, but most manufactures are standing behind their products. Except for maybe Yamaha, I.E. 2001 Raptor.

Old 11-28-2001, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

The cable activated brakes argument does not hold up. Funny thing, I seems to remember a device called emergency brake cables on my 2001 Chevy. The best winner is the best machine that suits your needs, and your budget.

Old 11-30-2001, 02:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Magazines are so **** Ignorant. Anyone notice all the contradictions between ATV mag and Dirtwheels?

Dirtwheels has the Quest with the best top end. It has the Griz &amp; Prairie with the best brakes. It shows a pathetic 8&quot; and change for ground clearance on the Griz at the floorboards. There are just a lot of totally opposite numbers from one magazine to the next.

Doesn't really give anyone firm ground to stand on no matter what they ride you know.

Old 11-30-2001, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, THEN IF YOU THINK THAT THE SP700 WILL BEAT THE FOREMAN450 WITH 28&quot; VAMPIRES ON IT WITH A 4&quot; LIFT YOU ARE CRAZY. ON THE ROAD MAN TEH NEW FOREMAN WILL FLY. I HAVE ONE AND I GOT IT UP TO AROUND 93. IT HAS AT LEAST 30 MORE MPH ON TOPSPEED THAN THE 700. THE FOREMAN IS RULER OF ALL. MUAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAH

Old 11-30-2001, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

I don't see the Grizz and 700 being more sporty than the kawi. I any event they are all cool machines.

Quick Reply: Sp700,Griz660,Kawi650,Quest650 and the winner