Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Who should I trust for port work

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currenty own a 2002 scrambler 400 X and I am seriously thinking about getting some port work done it but don't know who to trust. I had RCR and HPD in mind to do the work. I would like to hear your opinions on how much of a differance it made on your machines and who you would trust. I have some honda and yamaha guys that ride with me and I wan't them to eat my dust, just to prove a point if ya know what I mean.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2001, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

I think you would be safe sending it to RCR or HPD. HPD left a bad taste in my mouth. I know alot of people who like and trust them. They do make some good performance products. I just didn't care for the lack in customer service. I haven't boughten anything from them, probably because I never see much listed for the 300.

As for performance gains, its all in what you put into it. I ported my own and couldn't believe the difference. I was always the last one in a pack but now I run right with them up to top end then I easy on the throttle a little more and slowly pull away. Man, that pi$$es them off. HEHE. I've done a few more port jobs now but nothing like I did for mine. No one wants to pay that much for the amount of work.

If I were a single man, I can tell you I would have already had me a 02 400x. I would probably already have it back together by now. You know, after doing what it is your doing now. I envy you. NICE looking quad.

Old 11-20-2001, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

HPD or RCR only! Both offer excellent performance packages that are equally reliable. HPD does however provide some higher HP packages in excess of 72HP, whereas Rick at RCR preferres to maintain a certain level of reliability and not require the owner to perform anymore maintenance than is necessary.

In other words for a mild set up RCR or HPD. If you want alot of HP call HPD, but be required to maintain the bike a bit more, and spend some dough!

If your into trail riding around $500-$600 at either of these shops should satisfy your need, temporarily! Don't forget tires are an excellent performance mod you can make.