Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What is a safe height to jump with a Scrambler x 400 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the quad thing and have several questions. I just bought a new polaris scramber x 400 quad. I will be going to Tower City this weekend and here is what I need to know.

I will be riding with a few 400ex and several 300. All these machines are 2x4 . Will I be able to ride with them. How high of a ramp would you jump with a scramberx 4x4? My machine is heaveier. Can I ramp a 1foot jump , 2 foot jump.

Any help would be greatful.
thanks

Old 11-29-2001, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

You can get a little air with a Scrambler but I wouldn't recommend trying to hang with a 400EX on jumps. They're just 2 totally different types of quads. You should be fine at a foot or 2 but make sure your chain is adjusted properly first. Go muddin instead of jumpin with that Scrambler.

Old 11-29-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you gonna jump there like that, there are several things you need to do, first get rid of the floor boards and waste you money on nerf bars, 2nd, go to hotseat, and buy all the suspension stuff there, waste more money, id say youll have enough fun leaving the 300's in so much dust they cant drive, and take the 400 ex in a nasty trail and youll leave him to, and thats why i like my non concentric drive model, because they break, and im just gonna buy a chain tensioner for 40$ and thats much better, god i love my scrambler, hope you like yours to , they are great machines with so much capability

Old 11-29-2001, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

what is hotseat webpage address, I need to replace the front shocks if i am going to be jumping

Old 11-29-2001, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about the 4x4, but my 2x4 has been jumped between 5'-6' up before with no problems. However, you can tell that it doesn't really care for it. Try to stay away from the jumps that just shoot you straight up in the air, and stick to the ones that give you a good combination of air and distance and you should be okay. Just remember that in stock form the Scrambler isn't a MX machine. If you're going to be hitting a lot of jumps all of the time then it's best to get something else or your going to have to spend a lot of time and money in suspension mods and weight saving mods.

Just ask Mike Chero and Modquad how much they have into their suspension.

-Josh

Old 11-29-2001, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

My scrambler 400 doesn't have any suspension mods and I have jumped that thing 6 feet high before at the sanddunes easily. The landing is a bit easier when your in sand but even around my home I've taken jumps many times that sent me over 4 feet. Just make sure your chain is set right. My sc500 has been jumped 4 feet high before easily also. Both quads are 4x4. If it's just recreational riding you should have no problem with jumps and having fun, it's just when you get into some mx tracks or man made jumps that make things hard and not as fun. No matter what though your 400ex buddy should always be flying better than you unfortunately.

Old 11-30-2001, 12:39 AM
Range Rover

You should be careful when jumping a scrambler. They have a problem with breaking tranny cases. The concentric suspension is suppose to eliminate it, but i think the problem is holding the throttle in the air.

Rainman

Old 11-30-2001, 01:38 PM
jim
Pro Rider

I ride several of the local MX tracks about 6 times a year. If your only going to do this maybe once a year then just go slow & let the other guys fly by. I've seen Warriors & even a utility once out there so it doesnt matter. DO NOT jump a stock machine over 5 feet onto level ground w/o landing on the downward slope of the jump or you WILL regret it. I've dropped over 50lbs & added PEP & Works suspension & still badly cased out when I came up short on a double & fell vertically about 6 foot. It smashed my handle bars into the tops of the front fenders, bloodied my nose etc. You've lucky to have such a nice new machine, I would hate to see you destroy it trying to MX it. Absolutely forget about hanging w/ a 400EX if he can ride & there was even a Blaster & 300EX at the track that was jumping higher & farther than you would think is possible & absolutely flying so looks can be deceiving. I was going to fully convert mine to 2wd for summer MXing to get the weight down to about 410lbs but I think I'm getting a Yamaha YZ250F for that instead & keeping my 4x4 Scrambler as the ultimate trail machine.
good luck,
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler
http://photos.yahoo.com/jim400scram

Old 12-01-2001, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 500scrambie and i've found that when jumping, 5 feet is about all the height you really want. you can do more but the landing is harsh. also when jumping these creatures, there is a method to it. always accelerate towards the jump and just before the peak of the jump tag the gas...but let off right away!! If you dont tag the gas the bike will want to nose dive and thats a hard landing! Just remember to let off the gas while in the air because the tranny cant take the stress! Try this on a small jump and get the hang of tagging the gas and you will see what i mean when you dont do it!
these bikes are to heavy to be landing any way but flat!

Old 12-02-2001, 03:57 PM
Range Rover

Decide for yourself how high is too high! Try a jump, if it goes ok, try a bigger one. You might be lighter than the next guy. I usally try a jump, then decide whether or not the quad can handle it again....but I also have a $1000 suspension!
My MX 400 Sport