Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

awd problem, but i think ive heard of this before.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, i was backing up a hill for no reason other than going backwards, and the wheels where spinning, so i used awd to get up, then when i stopped it, turned off awd and put it in High, the front right tire pulled because it was still locked, so i stopped the quad, turned it off, moved the handlebars left and right a few times and turned it back on and it was fine,
ive heard of this reverse ovverride AWD then back in high w/o awd bug before, is it anything to worry about? oh yeah winter is comming and i will be using AWD almost fulltime, how do i check my fluid level in my hubs , could someone tell me the full procedure, do i need to take off the tires, ect.

Old 12-03-2001, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kukerdan,
ive heard of this problem before and i was told that the problem was caused by lack of lubrication in the front hubs. There is a racheting mechanism in the front hubs that sense when the rear tires slip and when not lubed properly sometimes they lock in the AWD position.
I don't exactly know the procedure for checking the fluid in them but i can find out.

Old 12-03-2001, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

thanks i would really appreachiate that

Old 12-03-2001, 03:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Kukerdan, if I'm not mistaken all you have to do is rotate hub(with tire on)so allen head is at 12o'clock position remove allen head set screw. Slowly rotate hub to either 3o'clock or 9o'clock position fluid should start to run out, level is ok. I understand you can use syn. mercon II trans fluid in place of Polaris hub fluid.(this is what i've heard on this forum I think. Do a search if no one confirmes this.)I have a y2k 400 4x4 my manual says if 4x4 won't disengage after switch is turned off, to backup 20-30 ft. Worked for me. Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2001, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

zykester,

20-30 feet? Sounds like the Polaris manual overestimated a bit... All you have to do is get the tires to turn more than 1/5th of a revolution to unlock the hubs (takes 1/5th of a turn to lock the front tires, so logically...), which translates into around 16 inches of backing up with 25 inch tires. That's usually all it takes for me if my Xplorer ever does that. Just throw it in reverse, do NOT push the Override, and back up 2 feet, and you're good to go.

Old 12-03-2001, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

which part of the hub the front part (sticking out of the rim) or by the cv joint

Old 12-03-2001, 07:28 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Hey Kukerdan you need to check the fluid and the hole is on the cone that sticks out from the wheel there is a alen head set screw be careful when you take it out not to strip it out.My Sprotsman was froze in and i had to use a chissel and vise grips on it.Roll the hub to 3 orr 9 oclock fluid shouuld run out.if not pull the hud covers off and check the o rings,clean inside with wd 40 dry it up.put covers back on fill to where fluid runs out at 9 or 3 use either polaris hud fluid(thats what i use)or a good brand of automotive trans fluid.

Old 12-03-2001, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

Kukerdan its the hub that you check the level from (part sticking out from wheel). just do like zykster said and take it out at 12oclock and then rotate it to about 3 or 9 o clock and fluid should run out if its a lil under you may wanna go ahead and drain it out and put dercon II in it because its probably in need of changing anyways.

Old 12-03-2001, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

Kuderdan,
The check/fill plug for the hub is on the outside part of the hub, and looks like an allen-head setscrew. There is also a magnet attatched to the inside of it. Check that for filings, and wipe it clean before re-inserting it.

The procedure mentioned it correct. Remove the plug when it is straight up, and rotate the wheel to the 3 or 9 o'clock position (straight to the side). If fluid starts to drip out before you hit the 4 or 8 o'clock position, level is OK. If it is low, I think the fill is so the opening is straight out to one side.
However, if you don't use Polaris hub fluid, use synthetic TYPE F tranny fluid, not the dextron. Supposedly works better.

Even if the fluid level is OK, it might just be time for a change. Considering it only takes 10 minutes, and a few tablespoons of oil, why not try that? My dealer said to change the oil every spring and fall, and I have been doing that for 5200 miles, and they still work like they did when new.

Old 12-03-2001, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

ok, im going to the dealer tomarrow to get his hub fluid, how much does the SMALLEST bottle of this cost, i bought a gallon of the two stroke oil for 22$ in augest still have 1/3 left, and i need to know how much a rear shock rebuild cost because i need that to, and how much does a complete tune up cost (- the oil change) you know, they adjust the chains, grease up everything (maybe there are a few zerks i cant find) torque all the bolths, check seals, ect. ect.

Quick Reply: awd problem, but i think ive heard of this before.....