Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Progress report...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After stepping up to a HPD race motor this summer I recently decided to tear the bike down to the frame and have it powdercoated, something I should've done when I had the motor pulled. Anyway, I've now got it back together and have two small details to wrap up..

bleeding the rear brake (a must considering its the only one I have)
trying to get the FTR pipe to mount up correctly. My trouble is actually with the silencer fitment, and I think a RCR silencer will rectify that as it uses different mounting hardware.

Anyway, here is a link to my photo album so that you can see the trasformation my 400 has gone through..

http://communities.msn.com/PolarisPe...e/shoebox.msnw

Old 12-08-2001, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

That is one sweet looking bike. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it gets done. I just have one question though. Do you live on a golf course? Our greens on our golf courses don't even look as good as the grass your bike is sittin on. Keep us posted on the rest of the progress.

Old 12-09-2001, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the compliment. The pics were taken at a green area in my dads subdivision. I ususally to my wrenching there and snapped the pics since it was a nice day out.

FYI: new home developments here in AZ incorporate these green areas into the communitites because most people go for the desert style landscaping. Just kinda add a bit of color to the community [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I did get the brake issue resolved and will work on the silencer issue this week.

Old 12-09-2001, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Jerry:
The quad looks great, where and when did you get the FTR pipe? Is there a big difference in it and the HPD Trail Pipe ?
Also, from the photos, it looks like you've pulled some weight off the quad, what's it down to ?

Old 12-09-2001, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

I need some help here fellas, I have a 2x4 500 that I bought last year, way unsatisfied. I love power and speed. I am trying to trade it for a banshee but nobody is giving me jack for my po po polaris.
BUT the dealer has 400's in stock, from what I read they can hang with any piped banshee is this true? Should I trade for one of these instead?
I hate the steering bushing in my scrambler my handle bars move way to much scary, I am assuming the 400 is the same way?

What shoudl I do, I mean I love the way the banshee feels but I am not giving 2,500 plus my scrambler (30 hours) for a 5,600 banshee ... or should I?

Old 12-09-2001, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you check the forums you can find a fix for the bushing, I asume that you are having problems with the slack after they have been on a while? If so put the aftermarket bushing on and you will be set. Futhermore I personaly dont know about the 500 but I have a 1995 model 400 scambler and I love it I wished I could have got my Yamaha to steer that good, I probably would have not gotten rid of it.

Old 12-10-2001, 03:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Looks SWEET Jerry!! C'mon, where's the big honkin' cactus???

Ken

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2001, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

CaptNemo, I dont have an accurate weight on it yet. I do know that I got the frame down to under 55LBS. Eric B and I did a ton of grinding on the chassis. You'll notice also that I completely removed the front braking system and had the hubs machined down (10LBS). Once I get my Smooth Buff front tires on .125 wheels that should help as well, considering my XC's are 6ply on .190's.

As for the pipe I think I might have scrapped up the last one from them. I got it in May, but havent used it untill recently. Having also stepped up to the FTR pipe, HPD race port, .020 piston, reed spacer, 15:1 dome and very aggressive clutching all at the same time its hard to tell how much I gained individually from them. Personally I think the pipe is killer, but would caution someone ffrom buying one as the fit seems to be inconsistant. I'm having to do some slight fabrication to get it mounted right. Looks good though!

The bike does hit harder, revs out faster, and screams. When dialing it in on a dirt road close by the tires will spin for 50+ yards when the throttle is hammered. On the trails it would be TOO much, but with paddles and on the sand it should rip. I hope to get out to the dune shortly after New Year's. I'll try to get a wet weight for you all as well.

Old 12-10-2001, 12:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The power is NEVER TOO MUCH....that is until the afterburner kicks in. Zoom, Zoom.

Ken