Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The Wife Said I could get tires!!!!! But witch ones!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok before she changes her mind!!!!
I have 2000 SP500. I love to mud and trail ride. What tire? bug? 589? bi/tri? should I pic? these are the 3. I will be getting rims also.. Ya know package deals.. Ok question 2 WHAT SIZE CAN I FIT with out needing a lift kit that will reck my front end? 26.10.12 for the front? Will it rub the tie rods? if i go with gators/bugs? 589 only goto 9.5? will it rub in font? Can I go with 27? or am I asking to much? I need the tire to last NO TAR RIDDING. So please help me decide! I have read the reviews but just like everyone else I dont know what to get.. MOST OF ALL I WANT TO KNOW SIZES. Thanks guys!

Old 12-11-2001, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

589 MT's, they will ride smooth, bite HARD and last long

Old 12-11-2001, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

MudStud,

Have heard good things about the 589's with built in bead protector and recently installed Mudrunner run flats on the same year/model machine.

Although the run flats are heavier, I expected a significant power loss with the more agressive tread (staying with the stock size)and wasn't surprised.

I also am keeping a sharp eye out for premature drivetrain and suspension wear and simply hoping for the best. I have read the many posts in this forum and know the weak and strong points of this particular machine which wasn't necessarily availiable to those who bought the first couple years' models.

I'm obviously pushing the limit of what the machine was designed for. When you start talking about increasing tire SIZE; I suggest seeking out those who have made this adjustment and then beat the living heck out of their rigs; not just run through 4 or 5 muddy spots each 7 or 8 times they (seriously) ride a year.

Yes, the manufacturers sell all sizes and tread designs in their accessory catalogue. Unfortunately, their attitude is akin to 'well, somebody is going to want 'em and buy 'em, why not sell 'em?.................

I'm no mechanic or seasoned rider; just my opinion.

John
'00 SP500

Old 12-11-2001, 09:16 AM
hal
Weekend Warrior

I have 26" mudrunners on mine, 9's up front and 12's on the rear, their mounted on stock rims and yes they will rub the tie rod ends, i put a set of 1.5" spacers on my fronts and have plenty of clearance now. Also my fronts scrub some so i added the polaris spacers to the front springs, now it scrubs alittle on bad stuff. Now for the tires, their one of the best all purpose tires and they steer easy and do very well in the mud!!If you buy the tri magnums(27&quot you'll lose about 5mph on top end and some takeoff grunt in high range but their a very good mud tire and they also handle and ride good and they do chewup the mud!! 589's are very nice also.

Old 12-11-2001, 11:15 AM
BLH
Pro Rider

I have 27" Dirt Devils, I wish I had gotten the 26" but I like the tire very well, I would recommend them. (and they are a bit less expensive) you can see what they look like. here