Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Will a 95 400 Sportsman cylinder fit a 98 400 Sport motor???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 01:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help Rick I really appreciate your expertise on these type of things.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I took a tissue to my boot and did get a little dirt off it. Which could be something to consider. Also, could maybe worn out reeds cause it to lean out and cause it to wear. I just figured since the ring is worn on only the corner where it's separated indicated that the separation is causing it to wear. The rest of the ring is fine, it's just the one corner. And what would the reason be my bore size is increasing? I can stick my piston back in, and it has lots of room to move. So much in fact, I can see light between the piston and sleeve. I figured the sleeve was pressing the piston against the sleeve causing it to bore.

Also I premix my oil. I use Maxima High Performance Racing Formula. I use to mix it at 40:1, but after I rebuilt it the second time, I started mixing it at 32:1

But I'm open to suggestions from you, if you really think that I don't need another cylinder, I will see if I can find a place that may be able to weld it up just to be safe, and try a .060 piston. But first improve the air cleaning system, and get new reeds. Oh and by the way, I use a Twin Air foam filter. And here is a better pic of a ring that came off the first rebuild. This ring is worn almost completly down. Another thing I noticed, is maybe the wear on the ring is more to the side of the seperation, like more toward the exhause.

Old 12-13-2001, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

400fnSport,

I've read some place that the foam filters don't seal that great. They may have been referring to UNI filters.......I'm not sure.

Something that doesn't make alot of sense is that the rings aren't worn more on the intake side. I'm not an engine builder by any means......it just seems that dirt wouldn't wear the rings so unevenly. What do you think Rick?

Old 12-14-2001, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

That's what I was thinking. I've been looking all day at the rings and how they are positioned and trying to get a visual on what may be going on. But like you said, if it was dirt, it looks like it would wear the intake side first since it is the side that takes in air, or at least wear them evenly. But Gary went to the Honda shop to check on his part, and he asked if they had a 400 cylinder, and they said they had one for $300. So I guess this will be my Christmas present to myself. But he told me to get it together because he will be riding next Sunday. And on the filter, you may be right, I'm just going to have to be more carefule on how this thing goes back together.

Old 12-14-2001, 02:17 AM
Range Rover

buy a new sleeve from LA sleeve and install it.

Old 12-14-2001, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

400fnSport,

On the filter, it might be best to go back to a stock filter.......just to eliminate possible causes of destruction. I was thinking about the dirt entry myself, and although the dirt enters on the intake side, it would be while the piston is in the bottom position........so it would make sense that the dirt would hit the exhaust side, and wear that side more than the intake. The only thing that could make it wear on one side of the exhaust is if the flow into the cylinder wasn't symmetric. This non-symmetric flow could be induced by weak or faulty reeds. One more thing.....if you're going to have the engine out of the frame, it might be a good idea to build a leakdown tester after you've got it back together......to eliminate the possibility of a crank seal leak or other leak that could possibly be causing the problem. If the recoil start side crankcase seal were leaking air into the engine, that could also cause a non-linear flow of dirty air. Again, I don't know much about engines, but sometimes common sense will lead you in the right direction. When do you plan on buying the cylinder from the Honda shop? I went up there so often that I got to be pretty good friends with Jason. Whoever you talk to, I would try to talk them down some on that cylinder. You could also call that Polaris dealer in Newburg......they might have a used one.

One other line of thought that I've not brought up.......I talked to an engine builder not too long ago and told him about the abnormal engine wear you've been experiencing........he said it sounded like a worn out rod bearing causing side pressure on the piston. He might not be right, but it would be worth checking to make sure it is within spec.

On the reeds.......I've got a stock reed cage........probably less than 20 hours on it. I took it out when I put in a Boyesen Rad Valve.......since both wouldn't fit in there.....lol......anyway, if you let me know the dimensions on yours and could post a picture to make sure they're the same, I would send it to you free. Let me know. And one more thing..........I would believe that Gary got his running when I saw it with my own eyes.

Later,

Waylan

Old 12-14-2001, 12:41 PM
Range Rover

Motorman- How do you contact LA sleeve. I've been trying to find a place to check on how much sleeve's cost?

It would pretty easy to go to a stock setup, because I got the filter unit that came off that 95 Sport I bought. It's a completely different setup than my 98, but it came with a K&N, so I'll probably adept it since I'm putting this motor on the 95 frame anyway. I've called around, (besides Honda) and everyone around here must order on. I haven't tried Newburg yet. But right now the motor is completely out, and I had it completely torn apart. I checked every bearing in that thing, and the motor looked excellent. The rod bearing you are talking about looks good to. This motor really doesn't have many miles on it, because when it was bought, it set by a barn for about a year, then was bought by my friend that had it setting in a shed for about 2 years because it shattered the piston (stock), and he didn't know anything on fixing it till I helped him. Then he took it out and overheated it, so it set longer till I bought it. So the motor don't have many hours on it. I've put the most on it so far, and that ain't much because it sets torn apart. Thanks for the offer for your reeds. I'll take the offer, but I'm not going to let you give them to me free. I'll get dimensions and a pic later, because I got to head to work here in a minute.

Old 12-14-2001, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

This may help. L.A. Sleeve