Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Problems with RCR stage 1 kit on Scrambler 400, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day I gota RCR stage 1 kit with an HPD trail pipe in it. I put everything in and revvved it up. It sounded cool. When I took it out for a test deive, it reved pretty high, but lower than normal. But the fasest I could go was about 25mph when It was floored! I took it all apart, and back down to stock, and now it runs great.I tried it with a 260 and 270 main jet. I even called Rick at Ritter Cycle and he couldn't help me. Any help would be great.

Old 12-15-2001, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

How does the engine sound when it is revved out? Does it sound normal, or it the engine missing or spitting and sputtering?
Depending on your answer, we will be able to narrow it down to an engine problem or a clutch problem.

Old 12-15-2001, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Adam called me several times today and seems to have done everything right . We even measured to see if I sent a 250cc pipe rather than a 400cc pipe .

I have never seen a case where a pipe will cut the top speed on a 400 to only 25 mph . He has since taken his bike back to stock and it runs right .

Keep an eye on this thread , this is one of the most unusual technical problems I have seen . We will figure this out , and learn something in the proccess .

Adam , thanks for being patient .

Old 12-16-2001, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

Did you just put a pipe on or did you put on the whole stage one kit. If it was the kit, what all came with it?

Old 12-16-2001, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

It would seem that once your Stage 1 is installed you either have a restriction in the airbox
mod, a restiction in the exhaust, or your carb is getting out of adjustment when you are changing the main jet. I would reinstall the Stage 1, and one by one eliminate each of those 3 things, but of course Rick may have already run you thru that.
That 400 should scream with the stage one installed. If you get it figured out I think you'll find it will go a little faster than 25mph.

Old 12-16-2001, 11:46 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish i could figure out a way to get these threads wiyhout repling

Old 12-17-2001, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

Geez, I cannot believe there is a problem with the RCR Stage 1. I have ordered but yet to install the RCR Stage 1 (with HPD Trail Pipe) and a PWK39 carb.

When riding the 400 stock, this bad boy has a hard time keeping the front end down without the Stage 1 and carb. I expect it to scream after the mods. These 400s are violent in power. It is immediate, no building up. The power is instantly there.

When my warranty is up I plan on doing the full Trail Mod (head, bore, girdle, etc...).

I am debating on doing the full HPD race with RCR doing the work. Is this too much for trail riding? Or should I just do the full HPD Trail mod via Rick??

Chunky

Old 12-17-2001, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure that you already have...but did you check for restrictions in the pipe and silencer? I remember my kit came packed with a lot of newspaper and maybe some got lodged in yours? Other than that I can't think of what it could be.

I'm sure you'll get it straightend out. Don't let it discourage you...the Stage 1 kit is well worth the price, and in your case it should be well worth the wait.

-Josh

Old 12-17-2001, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

ftwflh
You can!!!! See the little icon that looks like a sheet of paper with a arrow on it on the top right of all the replys. Just click that and follow the directions. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2001, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Check the pipe with a flashlight in the engine end, and look in the silencer end for any packing or "stuff" inside the pipe.
Did you look at the sparkplug before you removed the Kit ??
Did you over oil the air filter?
Would the engine free rev ? ( Rev up out of gear )
Which main jet did you put in it ?
What condition was the engine in before the mods ? Alot of hard hours ?
Did you install the clutch spring?

The way to narrow down the problem is to add one part at a time untill the bad piece shows up.

Quick Reply: Problems with RCR stage 1 kit on Scrambler 400, Please Help!