Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris' being used in Afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw on Fox News that the Marines are using Sportsman 500's (it looks like) in Tora Bora. Green ones.

Old 12-26-2001, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

I also saw it this morning on Fox News. Pretty cool. I wonder how many grease guns they had to buy too.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2001, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, Polaris is over there kicking some rear. This pic belongs too VarmintHunter117 from Atvnation. (Just making sure he gets the credit for it. Not sure where it came from originally though.)

Polaris Kicking Taliban Butt!

Old 12-26-2001, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Actually,
they have a grease gun that mounts to the bottom of their M-16's. They also have special planes full of Polaris bearings, chains, and engine rebuild kits that can be air dropped 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2001, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's true. In fact, the military bought over 100 Sportsmans and air lifted them into Afghanistan two days after Sept. 11th. Easy to ride, easy to handle, an American made product kicking some Taliban butt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2001, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep,
all true.I even see where Polaris is the very first to have flown a complete ATV repair facility on board of a 747,complete with all the parts our guys will need when the Polaris break down.Now thats service!

Damn,
if they could just follow me when I ride mine?[lol]

Old 12-26-2001, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Lets put things in perspective. The military took the jeep because it was a tough, reliable, and very capable off road vehicle. The military took the Hummer because it was a tough, reliable, and capable off road vehicle. The military took the M35A3 6x6 because it was a tough, reliable, and capable off road vehicle. The military took Polaris ATVs because they are...........well you get the idea. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now honestly, being in the military, and previously attached to a logistics support squadron (fancy talk to planes that move military stuff around the world, i.e. cargo planes) I have seen my share of military ATVs. I have seen Suzuki 250 4x4's, Polaris (various models), and Yamaha Bear Trackers and Timberwolfs. And I believe thay have Hondas as well but have never saw them. I have never seen a Kawasaki myself either.

Old 12-26-2001, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

Look a little closer at vehicles. Yep, a Polaris 6x6. That odd looking jeep right next to it is a Ranger Patrol vehicle. Hence, Army. We see those patrol vehicles all the time on the tank trails on Ft. Stewart. My unit, which is there right now, had 6 JD Gators issued to them as soon as they stepped off the plane. I know 2 of which are abused daily - my usual quad riding pals. lol. //

BTW Lurch, If ya want the ultimate 4 wheeler hauler, you can get those M35A2 version trucks for around $3K-$8K. I'm thinking of getting 1 for utility use on my parents farm back in Wiscansin when I get home. No CDL is required 'cause you register them as a classic vehicle.

Old 12-26-2001, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I have seen them online and at DRMO. Even with the bids at Auction you can get them pretty cheap. Gotta be cafeful though, so of them need lots of work because they rob all the good parts off before sending them away.

I am alos from WI. I am from a little city about 30 miles north of Green Bay.

Old 12-27-2001, 12:14 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

It is true. My neighbor has two M35A2s trucks. Really cool and licenced as a pickup truck in Texas.

Quick Reply: Polaris' being used in Afghanistan