Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Transmission Problem, everyone read this, and learn a valuable lesson

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep your chain tight everyone!!! My swingarm pivot blots came loose, and caused my chain to be loose, then when you jump It, It puts a lot of strain on your transmission, not to mention grinds away at your skidplate. That happened to me, and I have to have my transmission torndown, and rebuilt. It'll be in the shop for about a 10 days, and I just finished building my new track!!! I don't even get to try it out. Did everybody learn a lesson? Now go tighten your chain.

Old 12-28-2001, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

get yourself a chain tensioner it will keep the slack out of the chain HpD sells them its a must when jumping these beast.

Old 12-28-2001, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

My dealer told me the chain tensioner was a waste of 55 dollars. Is he right? He said just keep the chain tight.

Old 12-28-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

You shouldn't need a chain tensioner on a concentric drive model.

If your swingarm bolts came loose and caused your chain to loosen up then the lesson should be to keep the swingarm bolts tight. A chain tensioner won't do squat to help if the swingarm bolts come loose.

If you have a "track" at your house I can only assume you jump your Scrambler. Guess what, Scramblers weren't made to jump, hence a contributing cause to your problem. You can't routinely to jump a 450+LB machine and expect everything to hold up, without regular maintenance, which includes checking your swingarm.

Old 12-28-2001, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

No offense "az400l" but I don't think the scrambler was meant for 99 percent of the stuff the people on here put it through. I'm sure they didn't make the scrambler for the stuff you do to it, but you can do it, If you do it the right way. The same with jumping, I bet everyone on here jumps their scrambler some, even you, I bet. You just have to know how to do everything right, and then you shouldn't have loose swingarm bolts. As far as I know, I don't push my scrammy to the limits. I know it's overweight, and I do very moderate jumps. None of the jumps I do are taller than I stand. I always grease the swingarm zerks about once a week, I don't care what you say, It still shouldn't happen. Thanks for the advice anyway, I know you were just trying to help.