Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportman 500 vs Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002 | 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Ebel~

<< The Sportsman is (overall) a superior machine, and is more appropriately compared to the Grizzly 660, or the Artic Cat i, rather then the Kodiak. >>

Actually, as I mentioned to Jham, I don't really think the SP500 compares to the Grizz 660. The 660 is in a different class than the 500, a closer analysis would likely be the 660, 650 &amp; 700. Yamaha really doesn't have an ute in the 500 class.

SilverBear

Old 01-16-2002 | 11:41 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I thank you all for your opinions. I knew going in that these two machines aren't really competing, but these are the two that I have chose. Tomorrow night I will have the chance to test drive them both before I buy. I went into this leaning toward the Kodiak (I just love the choice of front or rear brakes on the handle bars), but unless the 500 really disappoints, I will probably buy it.

One concern remains. The radiator being exposed in the front. The yamahas have a nice skid plate covering the front for running over trees. I'm considering buying an aftermarjet plate right away. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks again. After reading this forum for a week, I have learned a ton. I'll talk to you all again soon..

Brad

Old 01-16-2002 | 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Northstar~

Hey, real world experience doesn't lie. I'm not doubting what you saw. I'm always surprised that I do keep hearing about the Grizz not liking water. I just, personally, haven't experienced it, and do spend a fair amount of time in the fun clear stuff, or the even funner dark and murky stuff. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As far as being waterproofed, I have read a lot of good things about the Prairie 650, and by all counts its one helluva quad. I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in person yet, but the solid axle removes it from any possible purchase for me. I love IRS, and my second choice for a big bore quad would be the SP700. As for testaments, last weekend I winched out an Actic Cat 500 (several times) and a SP700 (once). My 660 also was winched once, but it was with my own winch, as everybody else had took off, and I was dallying behind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

SilverBear

Old 01-17-2002 | 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

Simonbls, Just to address your concerns I don't know what kind of riding you do but I ride through fields, woods, and everthing and have never had a stick come close to my radiator. Not saying it won't happen but I don't clean the trails as far as ground clutter on my place to keep it more natural I just run over the stuff. There is a metal grill, plastic grill and plates on the sides to protect it. Also the radiator sits back a ways in the body. If your getting a winch and look at my pics this protects the radiator even more. Just my experience and 2 cents.

Old 01-17-2002 | 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

If it makes you feel better, I have never seen a Polaris radiator leak. I have HEARD a guy once say his was leaking, but the machine went through a TORNADO (if you don't believe me I have pictures, not of the ATV, but of the shed it was parked in). Even then, a radiator shop soldered it shut for $20, if memory serves me right.

Old 01-17-2002 | 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

hey SilverBear, I've come to the conclusion that being winched out is not a bad thing, it just means you're gutsy enough to try anything. I have got to get a winch on my 700. I submerged it twice on it's maiden voyage, even though I swore I'd take it easy. The first time I barely got out on my own, the second time my wife was able to pull me out with a strap using the Scrambler. But that's why I switched to the Sportsman, because I love to play in mud.
My motto is, you ain't really four-wheeling until you get stuck.

Old 01-19-2002 | 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

Northstar~

I'm with you on that one. I've been stuck a few times, and when I get stuck, I get stuck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The worst likely being on my maiden voyage as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Had the crappy stockers on, and my brother in law (with the Cat 500) tried to cross a seemingly innocent looking little mud hole, I went around him and fell into a big one. Had mud up over the front right &amp; rear fender. That was a winch out from the rear episode.

SilverBear

Old 01-19-2002 | 08:14 AM
Trailblazer

Well,
The quads you are comparing are wrong!
You have to compare the SP400, not the 500 H.O.
We had both.
Now we have 2 Polaris'.
The Kodiaks waterproof sucks.Period.
I had to snorkel it after the belt got wet from just splashing around the outside of mud hole. JUST SPLASHING???
The 400SP will keep up with Kodiak, although the Kodiak is snappier on take off.
They're both reliable and neither has left us sitting.
The biggest difference is the IRS and since the SP400 is cheaper than the Kodiak, I'd go with it. More options and definitely a better ride.
Besides, do you really want a three-legged bear???LOL
Check out the pics...
http://photos.yahoo.com/wildhorse50016601

http://photos.yahoo.com/kodiakamy

Old 01-19-2002 | 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

KodiakAmy~

Interesting. I have two 2002 Bears, and neither one has problems in deep water or deep mud. I Grizz &amp; a Kodiak. What year was your Kodiak?

SilverBear

Old 01-21-2002 | 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

It was a 2001.

Quick Reply: Sportman 500 vs Kodiak