Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help..Just put back together and now got probs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 03:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We I have just finished putting my bike back together, just added a HPD Clutch kit and got the head shaved.
When I select reverse it rolls back without any throttle, but when I select foward, it goes into gear but doesnt start moving untill I rev my quad to at least half RPM.
Please could you guys give me some ideas on what I might need to do to fix this???

Old 01-17-2002, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

When I added a clutch kit to my 2001 trailblazer it was the same way. The clutch would engage way too high in the rpm range. To solve the problem I run the stock weights but the performance springs and now it engages at about 1/4 throttle; higher than stock but lower than with all hot seat parts.

Old 01-17-2002, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

The engagement of the spring is at a higher RPM than before.
This is normal when you change to a higher engaging primary spring.
If its way to high for your liking just talk to Darrell or Mike at
HPD or Rick at RCR.

OH, Stinky
The thread size for the rear brake line is 3/8 by 24 threads (fine)

Old 01-18-2002, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer

Thx guys,
I will prob call rick on monday, but for now I will just run the stock weights.
I was supplied S 58 weights,
Are these mainly for top end?

Old 01-18-2002, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

The weight controlls the amount of "grab" the primary sheeves have on the belt as well as the max RPM. The heavier the weight, the less top RPM. Positioning of mass on the weights (the shape of the weights) will change some clutch characteristics....for example a weight with lots of mass on the tip will engage higher and shift out faster. Most Polaris weights are pretty evenly balanced for a smooth upshift. Therefore, the other piece of the CVT puzzle is the primary spring. They are referenced by 2 numbers...ie: 120/200. The first number is the initial spring pressure when spring is just starting to compress. This is the main item controling the engagement of the primary clutch. A higher number takes more RPM for the weights to overcome the spring and move the clutch sheeve. The second number is the closed spring pressure. This, along with the amount of weight you have, controls the max RPM of the engine/clutch.

The secondary clutch controls rate of shift-out and backshifting by providing feed back to the primary clutch. It is a torque-sensing device.

A properly set-up CVT transmission will run the engine at its max HP level while the throttle is held open. IE: you pin the throttle, the machine sarts to move and the revs instantly go to 6000 (if that is where max HP is at) and stay there. The speed increases by tranny upshift only...the engine RPM doesn't waver. The clutch kits you buy are trying to get this balance closer.