Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Polaris Sport Quad

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't heard anyone talking about this in the forums lately. Latest issue of Dirtwheels says they're received confirmation that it will be a 500cc 5 speed manual clutch, Fuji built motor. Anyone else heard anything about this quad? Wonder when it will be released....

Mitch
00 Xplorer 400
02 400 EX

Old 01-20-2002, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

Mitch,

The new quad will be released after Kawasaki releases their new sport quad and the market is already full of choices for sport machines. This way, their machines won't sell and nobody will get hurt on them. Sorry to be such a spoil "sport" (pun intended), but the way Polaris agressively markets their line of "sport" snowmobiles and "sport" PWCs, you'd think that they would agressively market their "sport" ATVs. BUT NOOOOOOOO!

Polaris has already proven that it is the "Colt Firearms" of the ATV industry. They have already shown that they can be completely be behind the concept curve and that they can come out with new technology that NO ONE wants. They have already shown that some people will actually buy out dated technology if they call it "new". And they have shown that some people will buy things if it says "Limited Edition" on it. Just like Colt Firearms does.

In short, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this "new" sport machine if I were you.

Old 01-20-2002, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Keep the faith brother...

Old 01-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

This was posted by somone on another site.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok, went to the dealer meeting.
had absolutly no info on the sport quad for me, except that it will be released in july.
and that i'll get to ride one at the next meeting (in july)

Old 01-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

come on mike polaris has introdused alot of things first as of now all sport bikes are about the same except c-dale all brands put there profits from atvs into other markets that are more aggresive

Old 01-21-2002, 04:23 AM
Pro Rider

BAJAROB,

I guess I'm a little tired of Polaris responding to the market place, rather than creating one. When they came out with all of these wonderful features that you now find on all other Japanese makes, they were the innovators. Now all they can do is hope to keep up. When the Sportsman 500 came out it was the first "big and bad" 4x4 quad. When the Sportsman 700 came out, it was in response to the Kawasaki Prairie 650.

Which bring me to another "pet peave" about Polaris. Why in Gods green earth did they take so long coming out with a "true" sport machine? Cowardice, is my bet. They'll be more than happy to make a 150 hp, 135+ mph snowmobile with 10+ inches of suspension and a PWC that'll do 70, but we are stuck with little more than "warmed over" utility machines. Tell me, is that oak tree you smack into when traveling 100+ mph down a snowy trail going to be any softer in the winter? What about running into a large boat at 70 mph on a lake, is that going to be softer than running into a car at 70 mph in the dirt? Then why is Polaris so behind the times when it comes to a high performance ATV?

Frankly, I'm sick of waiting. I've been waiting since 1997 and listening to rumors about the supposed "new" Polaris high performance machine. If I some day do sell my Sport and and get a high performance machine, I have serious doubts it'll be the new Polaris.

Old 01-21-2002, 05:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm sure you all know about the legal probs and liabilities this industry experienced. How the "insiders" have explained it to me is that some of the fault of the slow releases from some companies is not to seem too eager after Honda's 10 year agreement to refrain from "racing" quads had expired. From what Polaris sources have told me is they want to make sure this thing is the absolute best it can be. This engine has been in testing for a long time. And the only detour recently was the negative response a small group gave about the styling. Waiting sucks! But I'd rather wait and make sure I have the best performing, least problematic quad out there (of course I'm biased). Hang in there, it'll be summer before you know it.

Ken

Old 01-21-2002, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

I just don't see the market for a Polaris sport quad. People riding Polaris' now are usually buying them for the auto or the "real" 4WD, neither of which will be on the sport quad. I just don't see people who have been riding the Japanese quads switching from a Banshee, Raptor, 400ex, etc. over to a Polaris sport quad especially with Polaris' dependability problems. Unless they would come out with something that could just blow a Raptor or a Cannondale away I don't see it selling.

Old 01-21-2002, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

<<
Frankly, I'm sick of waiting. I've been waiting since 1997 and listening to rumors about the supposed &quot;new&quot; Polaris high performance machine. If I some day do sell my Sport and and get a high performance machine, I have serious doubts it'll be the new Polaris.
>>

I hear ya!

I've been riding a Scrambler 500 since 99' and just bought a Cannondale Speed. I'm selling my Scrambler and getting a 200-300cc sport quad for my son. I'll keep my Trailblazer and Trail Boss for my wife and daughter to ride, but they are very non-aggressive riders and just like to cruise around the trails.

Old 01-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

Short of redesigning their whole line of 'sport' quads polaris should just lighten up the trailblazer and scrambler and add a manual trany. The scrambler and trailblazer are both mediocre quads that can just keep up with their counterparts but the belt tranny hold them back. If the option of an actual tranny was introduced and the series got lighter parts polaris's may sell and have better performnce.

Just my take on the idea.

Quick Reply: New Polaris Sport Quad