Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Disconnect reverse and 4wd overide

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 07:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am ready to disconnect the reverse overide button. I want the 4wd to function in reverse, also, without pushing the button. I disconnect the yellow/red wire and I no longer have to use the button for reverse, but my 4wd will not work without pushing it, still.

What do I do to accomplish this without cutting any wires, in case I should ever need to hook it back up? Has anyone ever done this successfully? I tried just disconnecting random wires, but never got the right one, I guess.

Thanks,
SnowDrift

I am working on my '99 Scrambler 500

Old 01-21-2002, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Snowdrift, sorry it took me this long to get back to you. There is a Gray wire with a White stripe that comes from you 4x4 switch. You need to disconnect that wire, and plug it in where you have constant power with the ignition on. Should be anywhere you see red wires pluged in. Also, since your is newer and you can see, it should be marked, spare, or something like that. If you have disconnected the override rev limiter, then this will enable 4 wheel drive in any gear, whenever the button is pushed or switch is on. This includes Forward, Reverse and Nutural. Have fun, but be carefull, polish wheelies are accomplished in 4x4 reverse!!!!

Old 01-22-2002, 01:02 AM
Range Rover

Does that mean it will always be in 4X4. I will do it if I still have control over the 4X4 function.

Old 01-22-2002, 08:18 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, what that does is it sends power to the switch, without going throught the override button. If the 4x4 switch is off, then it's not in 4x4. When you turn on the switch for 4x4, you will be in 4x4, no matter what gear, without the rev limiter. Test it with the key on. Turn on 4x4, disconnect that wire and touch it to a positive wire, light for AWD should come on.

Old 01-22-2002, 09:18 AM
KEP
Trailblazer

You might want to do this through a small switch hidden somewhere so that you can easily put it back like it was. I would suggest a waterproof switch somewhere under the hood with the rest of the wiring.

Old 01-22-2002, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

Putting in a switch doesn't make any sense. You are not cutting any wires, all you are doing is relocating a female connector on the board from it's origional position to a positive male connection, usually where there is a red wire coming out. If you put in a switch, you will need to cut the wire, and that doesn't make any sense. When you want to put the wire back, say for resale or what ever, all you have to do is unplug it and put it back in it's origional spot. The board also has writing on it to tell you what color wire should go there.

Old 01-22-2002, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

What board are you talking about unplugging the wire from. I have a 2002 SP 500, and I can't find any type of "board" that wires plug in to. Can you give me a general location that will help me find it.

Thanks,
Andy S.

Trending Topics

Old 01-22-2002, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not sure where your board would be. On a Scrambler, it's under the hood below the oil cap. Where all your wires meet up, if it's the same setup as a Scrambler. Follow the wiring harness that goes from the 4x4 switch. You should be able to find it. It's kind of like a fuse block, without fuses!

Old 01-22-2002, 07:22 PM
Range Rover

I just gave it a try. On the Sportsman 700 there is no way to disconnect without cutting. Also, there is no grey wire with a white stripe. Only two solid grey wires.

Old 01-22-2002, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry I couldn't help you Silverv10. Not sure how you would go about it on that quad.

Quick Reply: Disconnect reverse and 4wd overide