Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Split brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 12:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone run this mod on their bike? At first i realy liked the one brake set up but after hopping up my ride a little i would like more control over my front and rear brakes.Likes, dislikes any imput please. Thanks

Old 01-31-2002, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

sevy,

Do a search under "brake", and it should turn up what you're looking for.

Old 01-31-2002, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

sevy,

I have one of the older Polaris models (non concentric drive). If you really want a good brake system, keep the foot predal for the rear, and get a left hand lever for the front. There are times when I wished I could do that, but my older machine has (had actually) the mechanical brake and they are useless after one stop.

The split brake system is a pain in the backside to put on and even more of a pain to bleed, but you will get more control from your machine.

Old 01-31-2002, 02:38 PM
Range Rover

I put the split brake kit on my Expedition almost as soon as I got it. I didn't like the single brake factory setup. The kit needed some modifications because the brake line supplied wasn't long enough. I bought a longer one and got it working ok. I still don't like the original (left side) hydraulic master cylinder as it is soooo hard to squeeze. I was advised by the split brake kit supplier to buy one of his master cylinders to alleviate the problem. Never got around to doing that, but I'd sure like to have it. I really do like the split brake kit, even with the hard-to-squeeze problem, and wouldn't go back to a single brake lever at all. Just my opinion, of course. HTH

Old 02-01-2002, 02:33 AM
Range Rover

Mike Chero,

I'm not sure what you mean by get a left hand lever for the front? Are you saying after market to replace what i have now? then block off the line to the rear wheels from the front lever and use my foot break for rear only. Sorry for the stupid question but i am not sure how the polaris system is conected together, all i know is there are two resivours for the brake fluid.Can you help me out here, i am a total idiot on this subject.

Old 02-01-2002, 04:37 AM
Pro Rider

sevy,

I meant get a left hand master cylinder (when you get the split brake kit) and change the front brakes to it. Kind of like a conventoinal (non Polaris) machine. Remove the right side master cylinder, and just use the foot brake for the rear. Like I said, I would have done this, but my older machine had an mechanical rear foot brake.

The reason I'm telling you to switch the brake over from the right to left side is so you can have at least one hand completely on the handlebars when braking. On mine, I use both hand brakes and this can get slightly exciting in rough terrain at high speed. If you have one hand completely on the handlebars (and not reaching for a lever) this makes for increased control over the machine.

Old 02-01-2002, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Mike,

I believe you mean get a right hand master cylinder, as polaris machines have always come standard with the left hand master cylinder.

Old 02-01-2002, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

The left hand lever (the stock brake lever) has a master cylinder attached to it. That master cylinder is used, in the stock configuration, to apply hydraulic pressure to both front and rear brakes. In the split brake kit, a new master cylinder and brake lever are placed on the right handlebar. This just connects to the front brake, leaving the original (left handlebar) master cylinder to apply braking to the rear wheels. That, original, master cylinder is difficult to use after the split brake kit is installed. The supplier of the split brake kit suggests buying his (additional) left side master cylinder (extra cost) to alleviate the high pressure, making the left hand lever much easier to squeeze. If you've got the hands of an NFL quarterback, you may not find the difficult-to-squeeze left brake lever a problem, but I don't have those hands (I'm 63 yrs old), so I'd like to have that left hand master cylinder.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-01-2002, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Along this brake talk. Does anyone make different brake levers? I would like something more swept back so you don't have to reach so far to get to the lever.

Old 02-01-2002, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

walexa,

Oops, I meant to say the right hand lever. For some reason I keep getting them mixed up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Split brake kit