Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Who else is sick of Prairie Bragging?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 05:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned two Polaris ATVs,a 99 Sportsman 500cc and now a 00 400cc Xplorer.I dont perceive any of this[Polaris vs Kawi] as bragging.The truth of the matter is these two quads have alot of differances and both serve the rider in a differant manner.

The less sportier Sportsman 700 with IRS has a great ride and is a very comfortable CASUAL trailrider.The lighter,more nimble 650 has a solid rear axle and can go thru the woods faster but does not ride as well as its counterpart.Both quads serve its rider in differant ways,is this bragging?I dont think so?

Bill

Old 02-05-2002, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

Is the Prarie lighter? yes
Is the Prarie sportier? maybe
Do I care? not really
The thing is, we should each buy the machine that best suits our needs, and not worry if someone else's machine is better. Also, to that I would ask, better at WHAT?
The Kawasaki may be the sportier machine, and will get you over some trails faster. Great if that is what you want.
The Sportsman may have the smoothest ride out there, great for a 'sit down' cruise, or to spend all day on for utility-type work. Also great if that is what you want. Now everyone quit your arguing and play nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Personally, I LIKE the idea of pulling a trailer on an IRS machine, that way the trailer doesn't have to bounce around over every bump. Might even save a bent axle on occasion. This is just personal preference, though, as I don't pull a trailer over extreme trails, so don't need maximum clearance.

I think they are BOTH good machines, just aimed at slightly different crowds. That is probably why there is so much arguing. The trails person A rides might be best suited for one, and can't see why person B tries to tell him the other is better. I am a Polaris owner, and about the only real fault I find with the 650 Prarie is the gas tank is too small, so you either have to carry more gas, or cut the fun short.

Yes, I have seen the Cyclone 3-wheeler from Polaris. Or was the Cyclone the 4-wheeled version? Or maybe even both? All I can say is the one (3-wheeler) I saw (& got to ride a little) was a 250 2 cycle, that sounded almost like a motocross bike, and was probably as fast as my 400 Xplorer - it had a much more 'pipey' state of tune to it. I THINK they were that way stock.

Old 02-05-2002, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Actually those three-wheelers were called "Scramblers". Atleast that is what my one Clymer book called them. I've never seen one but I'd like to. I'll have to check our computer at work to be sure.

As for the Prairie, I've never ridden one. I've never said they were any better or worse than a Polaris. Like Farmr said, they are too different of machines to really compare them to each other. I can say I like most of the features of the Prairie. Some are very unique. I'd like to ride one someday but I doubt I'd ever buy one. I have a preference to another brand. Not because it is better but because I just PREFER MY PREFERENCES.

So, you can tell me how great your Prairie is or your Big Red Three Wheeler or your Blaster or your Riding Mower, I really don't care. I'm happy if your happy. But don't tell me my quad sucks or that yours is better because I doubt many of you have riden my machine. Yah, it might be a Polaris but all that is, is a name.

Old 02-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Elroy,

I sent you a private message. The private messages are not something that just stick out like a sore thumb, you have to look for it at the top left of the forum screen.

To address this post: I regularly ride with 2 Prarie 650's, and while they are an extremely powerful bike, they are not the best at everything. If I'm in the mood, I can lead them by several quad links and even much more on my Xplorer 400. Some of it is rider experience, but these guys are fairly experienced too. Put us on a road, and they slowly and steadily pull away from me. I used to have a sp500, and even though it was a little slow (pre HO version), I'm sure I could pull away even more, since more control allows you to tackle the same terrain at higher speed safely. And as far as mudding, I outmudded both Prarie 650's this last weekend on our mud ride. I do have 12" wide rear tires versus their 9.5" tires, but I was running 26" tires versus their 27", so maybe it's a toss-up??? They claim it is the tires, but we're all running claws, and their rears are more narrow than mine. Since they went with 27" tires, their fronts have much better bite (more aggressive lugs) than my fronts do.

One other address to this post is that one of the guys sunk his 650 this past weekend. He ran off into a hole that was too deep, but it didn't swamp out then.............I gave him my winch cable, and he picked the rear of the quad up real high to hook the winch to his hitch. When he did this, he put his air intake under water. That thing was a nightmare to get cranked back up. Water got in the oil too. We couldn't get it cranked up on the trail, instead it took us about 3 hours to get it cranked back up at his house. Back when I had my sp500, I completely swamped it out (water over the headlight pod), and it took me about 10 minutes to get it cranked so I could ride it back home. Once you swamp a Prarie 650, you will have to get towed back home. That bothered me that it was so hard to get running again. Even after draining the carbs several times, it still wouldn't crank back up. We ran down the battery and had to jump start it with the truck........even this took around 45 minutes of tinkering to accomplish. It would turn over fast, but no fire at all. Choke...full throttle, off choke...full throttle, choke....no throttle, off choke...no throttle.......it didn't matter. Finally, choking, full throttle, spraying wd40 down the carbs got it to fire. I'm not saying this makes the bike a bad one, since it's not my idea to swamp out a $6500 piece of machinery, but it does happen on occassion by accident. There have been other problems with the bikes as well, so they are not perfect. I'm just rambling now.

Waylan

Old 02-05-2002, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Last Nov we were out for a ride and my friend swamped his Kawi. Had to float it across the water hole. Started up after a few minutes. We opened up the snorkel on the clutches and ran it awhile. He drove it home with no trouble.

TrailHog mentioned that not many people around his home have Polaris quads. Here in Canada they're one of the best selling quads around. I've still never seen what one can really do though, cause the only time you see one on the trail it's an old couple putting along going berry picking or something. Can't wait to meet someone who actually USES his Polaris so I can see what they can do.

Old 02-05-2002, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

thenewfiebullet,

Sometimes, machines will stall out due to electrical short or whatever. In the case I'm talking about, water actually got into the airbox, carbs, and engine. Even though we drained the carbs several times, it still wouldn't start or even hit like it was going to start. Anyway, we got it running and we went riding the next day. I don't like the Praries any less because of this, as they are extremely waterproof to begin with.........it's just that I sure don't want him to swamp it 10 miles from the house.

Waylan

Old 02-05-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Ya know'I was gonna get a 700 this year
but decided to wait for the 700HO
Then I saw the 650 with all that power so I toyed with getting one of them........until I got to ride one at the mud hole...
Not for me.

I had to check to make sure this was the polaris forum,seems like a lot of kawi's here

"thenewfiebullet,Its a freakin 600lb. 4x4"
That's WHYit's better. It only weighs 600lbs."

Alot of people dont like a heavy bike
it dosent seem to bother me
600lbs/800lbs who cares,if its on top of you anit getting it off.

WIscrambler
If you take your mighty 700 on the trail, you'll be left in the dust by the "sportier" prairie because it has a stronger engine and about 20% less weight.
"If" trails is what matters to you thats great
"if" mud is what matters your screwed
"if" you got to go through 10miles of swamp to get to that trail,you better have someone to pull you out
"If" your aunt had a dick she'would be your uncle

TrailHog
they look like something that Sears sells with a Briggs and Stratton in it.
HUH

coolinthewoods
2002 PRAIRIE 650 Green
28 inch Outlaws with 2 inch lift
HMF Exhaust, K&N airfilter DYNOJET kit
2000 pound superwinch
2500 Warn winch

Whats that weigh?

Old 02-05-2002, 07:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DUSE- That was good man. I use that uncle and aunt phrase at least once a week.

Old 02-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah but my aunt dont like it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2002, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

Hey,TRAIL HOG there is a POLARIS dealer in CULLMAN called BASCH BROS.I would be willing to bet that if you went by they would let you try out a POLARIS atv.Heck if you come down I-65 about 18 miles toward BIRMINGHAM I will let you ride my 2002 H.O. sportsman.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Who else is sick of Prairie Bragging?