Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SCRAMBLER 400

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright guys my taxes are coming and i wanna do sum stuff to my scrambler
it has a crappy dg pipe and silencer on it (on when bought) and i was wondering what is the best combo

Also what would be the best clutch kit i dont really know the mods of the bike (internally speaking) but i want the bike to b able to lift the front end up when i gas it which it doesnt right now
this summer im puttin a wiseco with swaintech coating in and having it bored and port and polish job (for free by my boss) so any help would b appreciated

Old 02-08-2002, 12:51 AM
Range Rover

What is your job so that you are able to get port and polish plus boring over for free? I've heard alot of good thing's about HPD pipe and clutch kit along with RCR air box mods. Get a package setup from RCR and he can get you both the RCR and HPD part's hope this help's.

Old 02-08-2002, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

Just call RCR, He will steer you right, Its a shame someone wasted money on the dg pipe, A stocker will pull the wheels no problem, When you get a real pipe watch out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2002, 01:29 AM
Trailblazer

i work at a 4wheeler repair shop and my boss owns the shop and does his own machine work and he will do it for free for me plus i get a 20% discount on any part i want [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] perks of the job!
the kid i bought the bike from SAYS its got a clutch kit in it i just replaced the belt but forgot to check spring colors but i have to put my foot on the grab bar floor the gas and jerk to get the bike to pull a wheelie so whatever clutch kit it has it SUCKS

Old 02-10-2002, 09:15 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its hard to believe your 400 scrambler wont wheelie my 2 stroke 400 sportsman will .

Old 02-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Dustnthecomp....

Here's my take on your situation. You already have a larger carb, K&N filter, and some sort of clutch kit. The DG pipe is not a good pipe (you knew that). Basically you have lost low- end power...thus no wheelie power.

I have a friend with an 00 Scrambler 400 4x4 with a FMF pipe and muffler. He CAN NOT pull a wheelie from a stop to save his life. That FMF pipe is like the DG, helps the top-end power but takes away from the low-end.

Call RCR, get a HPD trail pipe and clutch kit. Your DG muffler will work fine on the HPD pipe. Jet your carb and get ready for a wheelie-able machine!!

'96 Scrambler 400 4x4
HPD Nickel pipe/RCR muffler
HPD clutch kit
K&N filter
Boyesen Power Reeds
Wiseco piston

Old 02-10-2002, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Have you checked the compression on your motor, I would do this first. If it is low you will not have any low end power no matter what you do. Stock comp is approx 120#. Increasing it to 140 to 145 will give you much stronger low end and it will run on 93 octane pump gas. If the compression is ok then find out what parts are in your clutches (spring, weights) also does the belt ride at the top of the driven clutch (back one) when you look at it or is it sunk into the clutch, the belt may be worn or the clutch not shimmed right. If your going into the motor it would be best to wait until that's done before you select the clutch parts you'll need.

Old 02-12-2002, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

ok my boss told me to go with Aenon or however you spell it for pipe and silencer also does Pro Circuit make a pipe for the scrams and if so r they any good
one more thing on ricks stage 1 kit i do a lot of fairly deep water driving (small creek beds) and will his airbox mod put hole in the airbox or what?

Old 02-12-2002, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

I think your are looking for AAEN Performance. Pro Circuit does not offer any Polaris pipes.

If you can get a free port job, cool, but keep in mind the clutch kits that are out there are designed to work "in conjunction with" other buliders porting, IE: RCR and HPD. If your boss' porting is different in anyway a clutch kit may not work like it should.

Where did you get this 36mm carb? I thought OE was 34, and most riders opt for eith a 38TMX or 39PWK as an alternative. Again, the clutch kits on the market are desuigned to work "in conjunction with" specific mods. Free porting, and using a carb that nobody else is, may not allow the kits to perform as designed.

You could really wake that thing up for around $600-$800 or work from either RCR or HPD. Your best bet is to call RCR. If DQ is for Du Quion, he's just north of you, outside of Belleville.

Old 02-12-2002, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

well i havent changed my profile yet but the kid i bought it from likes to lie and i checked sat and i have a stock carb and yes AZ400L DQ is for DuQuoin how much Rick charge me for a trail port cuz thats mostly what i do trial riding and how do Aaen pipes do are they good or??

Quick Reply: SCRAMBLER 400