Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which Utility ATV??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002 | 05:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thus my point about no "need for speed".

If you want speed, don't get anything other than the 700, 660, or 650. Nothing else will compare with them by a longshot. It its not a factor, then the larger quads are overkill. A 500 Sportsman will do everything a 700 sportsman will except outrun it.

The only reason I got my quad was for the differential lock, IRS, and the speed. I could have got IRS with a 500 sportsman, so take that out of the equation. For pulling power, my 500AC was easily good enough.

My point is that the main thing the big quads have going for them is that they will outrun almost anything. Other than that, a 350 class 4x4 will get you just about anywhere you need to go, and with the diff-lock, the Prairie 360 will do the same without winning drag races against 600+ quads.

As far as the Arctic Cat rocker shifter goes, I would pay good money if it was on my Grizzly right now instead of the damn rubber band auto tranny. That is one technological advance that I wish never happenned. Why can't somebody make a big fast quad with a manual transmission?

Old 02-19-2002 | 08:29 AM
|
Pro Rider

I rode the SP700 Saturday, and the EBS = extreme engine braking in my book. It's about as bad as when I put an Erlandson kit in my SP500 a few years ago. There is no adjustment for this, it's always there. It gives me the impression like I'm in 1st gear all the time. You have to be constantly on the throttle.

Nope, been there and done that routine before. I'm not going to get into re-doing the entire clutching setup again.

Many of the comments being passed along to me are from the dirt mag articles. I don't have much faith in their opinion. I always have little confidence in the "of the year" awards that are passed out. When I bought my SP500, they named the Rubicon atv of the year.

Old 02-19-2002 | 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

Just FYI the Grizzly over heats going in low range if you go slowly to long the gas will boil and it will vapor lock. I have seen this with my friend’s grizzly and have also read a lot about it I would wait for the Honda Rincon if you don't want to buy Polaris. Jack you said you wanted this bike for snow plowing, hunting, and an occasional trail cruise. Well that counts out the Grizzly unless you don't mind waiting for it to cool down on the trail.

Old 02-19-2002 | 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Jimbob2~

That's a blanket statement, don't you think? It's never happened to me or any of the other Grizz 660's I've rode with, and when we trail ride/rock climb, it's all low range and slow going all day long. I believe some people have experienced that, and that number is very few. I don't know why it happens, but it's certainly not widespread. I believe I've seen 3 people who have had this happened in 4 forums.

SilverBear

Old 02-19-2002 | 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

SilverBear

It is not a blanket statement do a search on this forum alone and see how many people have had this problem a lot more than you think. My friend took his Grizzly back to the dealer where he bought it to get it fixed they said that there has been several people with this problem but Yamaha does not have a fix yet.
Last time I went riding with my friend we found a hill covered in snow that you had to power your way up in low range half way up the hill his gas was boiling and the Grizzly vapor locked. That day was 25 degrees go figure he said he can’t wait tell summer to see how many times it vapor locks on him needless to say he is not happy with what he bought. We are going to Moab in April and he is planning on taking his wife’s Honda Rancher 4x4 not the Grizzly unless Yamaha will fix the problem before then he is to afraid the Grizzly will vapor lock the whole time we are in Moab riding the rocks.

Old 02-19-2002 | 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

Jimbob~

I'll save myself the time of searching. From posting on the forums, it appears the questions on this issue take up 99% of those posts. I'm not doubting you that it happens, I corresponde with other folks and one has had it happen to him, I just don't think it's as widespread as you do. A "wide spread" issue is the overmilled cir clip groove on the front left axle, not gas boiling. It also surprises me that Yamaha would state there there's a lot of people with this problem. My exprience with Yamaha is they can be looking at the problem right in front of their proverbial face and still deny it's there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Please keep me informed on how this is handled for your friend. Again, I ride in low range all the time and have never had it happen, nor have I personally seen it happen on other Grizzly's, but would really like to know why it does happen on some, and what the solution is.

Thanks for your insight.

SilverBear

Old 02-20-2002 | 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Its funny the BS things that you hear about different quads and their "universal" flaws. After I bought mine I read that it would:
1. Overheat
2. The rear brake would get wet and become useless
3. I would get water in the tranny and slip the belt
4. The front end would be worthless(that turned out to be true)
5. I would wear the front brakes out in about 200 miles

There were others, but the above 5 were the most common. Of the 5 things mentioned above, only one turned out to be true. Of the the other 4 items, not a one of them has come true in the slightest way! 1400 miles later, water over the front racks countless times, rolled on its side 3 times, and flipped upside down twice(once completely under water), and it still works as good as the day I bought it! Thats why I'm not at all interested in getting one of the newer "big bore" quads. I can't put a price on that kind of dependability!

Rick

Old 02-20-2002 | 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Grizrick~

My gawd man, you've put your Grizzly through it's paces. That's what they're supposed to be built for though. Very impressive. Where did you get your front locker for you bear?

SilverBear

Old 02-20-2002 | 02:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Reguardless of what quad it is, it will have several mythylogical and blown out of proportion qualms about it. These will be overly expressed by those who do not prefer the quad in question, or from those who just absolutely hate it. Do you know how many times I heard somebody say "Don't buy an Arctic Cat, you won't like the rocker shifter"?? Too damn many. Ever notice how many people that don't own one are always there to tell somebody that the Grizzly will vapor lock, or boil gas, or sputter in water? A lot. Mostly guys that are just wishing like hell they had a 650, or 700, or Rubi, or something else whatever it may be. Seems most of the time you look and they ride a mojave or a 300ex, or some smaller size sport quad. I'm not pointing anyone out by any means, just saying its normally somebody riding something totally different than a Grizzly.

Don't hate the Playa, Hate the game!

Old 02-20-2002 | 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

Andy~

I know this is completely off topic, but I loved the heal/toe shifter on the manual cats. It doesn't matter what kind of boot you wear, you can shift without any problems. Your foot stays firmly planted flat at all times, shoot, it is, IMHO, a vast improvement. My 300 had it, and damn it'd be hard to ever go back to the "normal" shifter.

SilverBear

Quick Reply: Which Utility ATV??