Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which Utility ATV??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002 | 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

SilverBear,
I tried a couple of the aftermarket lockers, but they both stripped out. So after having to take the front differential out three times in less then a week, I welded the spider gears and called it good. That was about a year ago, been working great ever since. I'm going to get the Detroit locker when it becomes available for the Yamaha's. I'll have to remove the spider gears to install the Detroit anyway, so in the mean time I have absolute 4WD. Been rock'in since lock'in![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Rick

Old 02-20-2002 | 03:53 PM
|
Pro Rider

Honestly, if the SP700 did not have such an EBS "Extreme Braking System" clutches I would consider it. At least it would still be on my list with the Grizz and Kawi. I just hate riding it with EBS though. I like to free wheel a little. The one I rode last week felt like you are constantly in 1st gear and when it slows up, it slows up real, real fast. You have to constantly keep you thumb on the go switch to keep the machine moving. It's far too extreme for my riding style. It's too bad they don't make EBS an option. If they would have put rollers on these like they have on the sleds we would not have this problem and have 60% of ebs without the grief and all the clutch heat.

Old 02-20-2002 | 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Jack,
Does the SP700 have the same 4WD set up as the 500? If it does, and the engine braking is that extreme, then it must loose control pretty easily with only the rear wheels "braking". I'll bet its kind of unnerving on slippery surfaces and down hills.

Rick

Old 02-20-2002 | 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

GrizRick

My EBS on my 500 took one ride to get use to it. My dads friend has never driven quads before and bought a Sportsman 500X it took one ride with him and showing him how to use it and he was fine going down step hills and slick surfaces. One other thing most people don't realize is you do have 4 wheel engine braking down step hills if you know the trick of locking in the front wheels.
Several people talk about differential lock the 700 or any other 4x4 Polaris does not need it they have a solid lock the second the rear tires start to spin the front tires engage with a solid lock. There is no pulling a lever or pushing a button the Polaris locks both front wheels automatically when needed.

Old 02-20-2002 | 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

I like the lock lever,when you pull it, there is no doubt that it's engaged.Just like the button on the Grizz also. To me 4-wheel braking down steep hills with ledges isn't very safe,it's best to be able to control the front and rear brakes seperate,like if you are going down a steep hill and have to drop off of a rock or ditch,you need to let go the front brakes and use the rear,after you cleared the rock or ditch apply all the brakes.

Old 02-20-2002 | 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

I know there is a way to "trick" the Polaris into keeping the front wheels engaged when decending a hill. I have found myself in many situations going down very steep hills where I have had to use body english to keep all the wheels on the ground. Not to mention concentrating on picking the right "path" through certain spots to avoid flipping/rolling, or going over a cliff! I would imagine having to think about, and push all the right buttons to keep the front end locked on top of all that, might be somewhat distracting.

Rick

Old 02-20-2002 | 06:18 PM
|
Pro Rider

I don't know if the SP700 has the same setup as the 500 but it sure does slow you up quick. In the flat field I was in it would have put me over the bars if I wasn't ready for it. Granted, You "could" get used to that and be ready for it, but I absolutely hate the feeling that it's in 1st gear all the time and as soon an you take your thumb off, you slow up real fast. The word coasting apparently is not in the Polaris vocabulary.

It's really too bad. I'm not looking for an acceleration champ, only something that is good for 100-200 yds. Top speed on a Utility quad means nothing to me over 60 mph and they all do that. Most of the areas I ride you can seldom get on the throttle for more than 100yds at a time, so top end charges on roads are all bs. I look for acceleration for 0-40 and 20-50 as being important, all else doesn't matter in my book. These are utility machines, if you want top end, Get a DS or Raptor.

Another thing about EBS . . . the heat it generates in the clutch and belt is not good. This happens when running "hard". You can burn a belt in 15 min. if you want with EBS. The clutch cover can get so hot you have to worry about distortion.

I absolutely hate EBS. Polaris ruined a nice atv with it. I actually smelled rubber on the SP700 I was on when I started to push the 700 a bit. Smelled the same on my SP500, so I guess if it smells the same, acts the same, maybe it is the same setup.

EBS would be fine when going real slow, but not all the time.