Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

how can i modify a 300 xplorer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a xplorer 300 4x4 that i like to ride alot but when i get off my scram and on to the 300 it just seems soo slow, and it will not wheelie for anythign, even though i took off the front rack and remounted the lights and everything. but i was wondering what mods i could do to increase the speed and also make it wheelie? i have talked to rick ritter and his stage 1 kit sounds great but i was also thinking about maybe getting a forged piston and a different size sprocket. i cant afford to port it or i would but is there anything else i could do? thanks alot. my last post had a bunch of replies so i know i can count on u guys for help.

Old 02-14-2002, 01:26 AM
Range Rover

Have you tried to wheelie in low range that's what a friend had to do till he started modding with a K&N filter, boysen reeds, and a different spring in the clutch. It still took putting a knee on the back rack and pull up on the handle bar's while gunning it.

Old 02-14-2002, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

Your options for greater performance on a 300 Xplorer are limited. Even more so than on my 300 Xpress. You are going to have a hard time changing sprocket ratios because of your front drive. I believe that your front wheels are driven by the old chain system. Even if they are not, you still can't start changing the final drive ratios on the back without changing them on the front. You can do it, however you'll never be able to use the AWD. If you do, it could only be in case of an emergency and you'll have to be spinning all four wheels. If you were to change the rear sprockets and the front stayed the same, you are risking a catastrophy. If you happened to have the AWD on and weren't spinning all four wheels, you'd would be putting your whole drive system in a bind and would break something major.

As for more performance, sure, you can get alot of performance. Remember thou, performance = money. Lots of perfomance = lots of money. Without lots of money, you are going to be limited. Xpress3002x4 mentioned reeds, you don't have reeds. So that isn't an option. I don't think "his friend" has a 300 Polaris, as we do.

I don't know what you could spend, but here are some suggestions that won't cost you alot;
1. On your air box lid, their is a tube that comes down off it right down the middle of your air filter. Cut it off(FREE). This is there to keep any water from getting on the filter. You will have to make sure you won't be drowning your quad in lots of water after doing this. If so, just makes sure you don't get in deep enough to suck water into your air box. This would also be a good time to get a K&N air filter($50). With these two mods, you can go up to a 160 main jet($2) or maybe even a 170(also $2).
2. Clutch mods- I would suggest at least going to a white spring(?$15). I think you'd see better performance with a green spring(?$20) and some 50.5g weights($15). This should give you a nice engagement while still allowing for a nice shiftout for those more casual days of riding. Also you could change over to a straight 40 degree helix($30). This would give you a better pull out of the bottom end and keep your engine from backshift quite as easily.

With these mods you still might not be able to wheelie but it would be close. Because of the AWD, it will be hard to get more top speed out of it. Really the only thing you could do for that is to get some different gears to change your ratios inside the tranny. This alone would cost you hundreds.

My machine, 96 300 Xpress. The motor has been bored .040 over with a wiesco, ported, polished and shaved head. I bored my carb out to a 31mm, rejetted, with my above air box mod suggestion. My clutching, a yellow primary spring with 55g weights. A gold secondery spring from HPD and the 40 degree helix. I also changed my sprocket ratios(I am a 2x4) to a 13/34 ratio with 22" tires. With just this stuff alone, it can finally wheelie on its own and still hit a top speed of about 65mph. I am in the middle of a frame up restoration and will finish it off with a 34mmTMX flatslide carb and a pipe from RCR. Then I will also be changing to a 13/30 ratio. This should give me even more power and still get me into the 70mph range.

I would be glad to help you out with any questions so feel free to ask away. I'd love to see another 300 Polaris keep up with these stock 400 Scramblers. Man that really puts them in their place.

Old 02-14-2002, 10:49 AM
Range Rover

Yeah my friend has a 400 Xplorer but like all polaris utility 4x4's it's atank on size wize so he had a little trouble getting the front end up. Now he has switched to a Scrambler 400 4x4 and is about ready to start modding. Since my Xpress is stock all I can do when we go riding is to hope that the guy's I go riding with wait.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Elroy what does your Xpress look like now if the pic's in your album are old?

Old 02-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks alot elroy, u have some good idea's. i just have one more question. where can i buy all this stuff from?, i have a k&n filter already, and i am going to try the air box mod, do u think rick ritter would have the clutch parts, iv heard he is the best and he has a pretty good deal on a stage 1 kit and the web site they say they have all the clutch tuning parts and stuff so would that be my besy bet? thanks again for your help. as for express's question it wont wheelie on low gear either, it feels like it will but then it hits top speed real quick and just doesnt have the power.

Old 02-15-2002, 07:37 AM
Pro Rider

I have changed my handle bars and did away with that big ugly headlight mount. I also removed the goose neck cover. My headlights are now attached almost directly to the goose neck. I also changed my rear tires to 22" and dropped down to a 13/34 ratio.

Right now, as I type this, my frame is hanging in my shop drying. I have stripped my machine down in to the bare frame so that I could paint it. The new color is silver/blue metallic. It will look completely different when I'm done. I am also going to get an RCR pipe and a 34mmTMX carb for the finishing touches. Also will be switching to a 13/30 ratio. I hope to have all this done in another week or two. I haven't rode it in over a month now.

badscrambler400,

All the parts I mentioned are availible threw your local Polaris dealer. They may not have them in stock but, they are availible. That's where I've gotten everything for mine,except the handlebars. Those I got from a friend. The only other thing I'll be getting from outside our dealership is the RCR pipe.

I want to also tell you that the clutching advice is my own. Alot of people like to put these bigger springs in without changing weights. Yes, they do give you that sportier performance on the bottom end but you will start loosing top end also. By changing to heavier weights, with a heavier spring, you'll be able to enjoy that higher engagement but keep your shiftout rpm's close to the same. A stock 300 engine isn't a revvy kind of engine. It won't like high shiftout rpm's. Basically, what I'm saying is that you should raise your engagement rpm but try to keep your shiftout rpm the same. I wouldn't change weights if you just go to the white spring. If you start going bigger than that, then I would start looking into bigger weights. You don't want to go much bigger in weights. You should have 48g weights now, if you need to change the weights go to 50.5g weights. I have tried about every combination of springs and weights out there, without going overboard, and this was just my preferences.

Old 02-15-2002, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks alot everybody, im gunna order a stage 1 kit and a green spring and a white secondary spring. you gave me some great tips and i think it will work.

Old 02-15-2002, 07:36 PM
Range Rover

Elroy, have you ever tried an orange EPI spring in your bike?I have more springs than any Polaris dealer in my area and I haven't found one that totally satisfies me yet. I have talked to Rick numerous times and we concluded that I should try the EPI orange and see what happens. He doesn't reccomend changing the weights at all just the primary spring only.My peak rpm is quite a bit higher than yours though cause I already have the pipe and a 34mm carb with a UFO and also a Dial A jet too. I just installed the Dial A jet today and my first tests seemed quite good.Its hard for me to test this bike now anyway cause we have over 2 feet of soft snow an the groung now.I cant open it up at all cause all it does is spin all the time.I am just running 12-38 gearing with 24" Dirt devils on the rear and this thing will stand on end by just hitting the throttle when rolling along at about 10 - 15 mph.The throttle response from the UFO is unbelievable.The larger carb takes away a bit of bottom end but the UFO makes up for it and more.Also the Dial A Jet is supposed to give it even better response in conjunciton with the UFO.It is supposed to be as good as fuel injection.I'll know more after running the Dial A Jet for a while.I was running a 250 main without the DJ and my ex. temps were fine and I dropped to a 220 with the DJ but it is still a little rich according to my ex. temps. I might drop another size or two.

I read in some of your previous posts that your engine comes off idle quite slowly when you give it throttle. Is this because you raised your ex. port too much and lost a lot of bottom end power in the process?Also you said that you shaved the head twice to get the squish and compression that you wanted. Do you have a problem now with detonation a lower rpms? I shaved my head .035 and had to double up the headgaskets to take stop the detonation at low rpm's.

I see that you plan to gear your bike to do 70 mph if you can make enough power to pull top rpm's. Hope you've got your life insurance paid up cause I sure wouldn't want to do even close to that speed on these bikes cause the suspension can't handle it.They're a utility bike not a sport bike.I would be happy to get 60 mph if I can get there real quick.

Old 02-16-2002, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

sparky's

I have never tried the EPI orange spring. I am sure I'll have to do some clutch changes when I get the new carb and pipe on it. I actually ordered the RCR pipe yesterday. Rick gave me your name as a referrence for the 300 pipe. What are your thoughts on it? I'll be ordering my 34mmTMX today. How many rpm's are you turning anyway?

As for engine and coming off idle slowly, I was probably referring to two different things;
1. the fact that my engine doesn't have any real power to use between 800 and 1500 rpms. It never did when it was stock and it doesn't now with the way I shaped my exhaust port. Which I did raise, slightly. My engine doesn't engage the belt until 3000 rpms anyway so the power the engine puts out below that is of no concern to me.
2. I have always wished these Polaris motors would rev like a Blaster, Banshee, or dirt bike. I love that instantanious throttle response at just a touch of throttle. These Polaris motors could never be like that though because of all the weight the engine is turning. I just like to dream sometimes.

As for going 70mph. You bet yah. I can hang right with any other Polaris as for acceleration or even beat them but they still get me on top end by a few mph. I'm tired of beating people to my top end just to watch them drive by me any way after I am at my top end. I've been eating dust for 4 years and I'm sick of it. I've come along way from the stock 50mph machine but now its time to put the icing on the cake. Once I'm done with this, it will be time to up the suspesion side of things. For now though, I have some quads to dust.

Old 02-16-2002, 06:00 PM
Range Rover

Elroy, as far as the RCR pipe I am very happy with the increase in power but I have only had it on for about a month now and we have a lot of snow on the ground now.Its hard to get a real feel for it unless I find a bare spot or when I am on asphalt crossing the road from one trail to another. When this thing hooks up,it launches!!! The finish on the pipe however leaves a little to be desired.It started to rust at the back end above the rear tire almost immediately.I am going to remove it and repaint it with some good high heat paint. I reccommend you do the same before you install yours.As far as my engine revving as fast as a blaster or a banshee, the throttle response is unbelievable since I installed the UFO on the Scrambler carb that I have on the bike. For a while I thought the UFO didn't make that much of a difference until I removed it one day to see the difference. All I can say is I drove the bike for about 30 seconds and put the UFO right back on it.It revs almost instantly from idle to about 6800 rpm when gassing it hard.AS I said before I can't really test it until we get rid of some of the snow around here.

I installed the orange EPI spring in it today and tried it out for some short runs in the parking lot at my shop.The engagement was at about 3400 and it wouldn't even hit 6200 before it started to shift.This was only at about 150 foot launches so its hard to tell.I put my white Polaris spring back in with a 1/4 shim under it and I like it better. It engages at 3200 and revs right to amout 6800 and shifts at about 6500. It makes the front and feel real light too when accelerating. A slight tug an the bars and it will come up very easily.I am tired of changing springs so its staying in atleast until spring so I can do some real testing.

I don't know what the TMX carb is going to cost you but the 34mm scrambler carb should be easy for you to get since you work at a dealership and the UFO'S are excellent if you have the patients to jet them.When I get to tune in the Dial a Jet I just installed , it is supposed to be even more responsive than a flatslide carb. And a lot less sensitive to temp and elevation changes too.I used to have a little detonation at 1/8 throttle sometimes that i could'nt seem to tune out of it until I got the Dial A Jet. It took care of this problem.The nice thing about the 34mm carb to is that it fits like a factory carb and if you didn't know it wasn't the stock carb you can't tell the difference.

Quick Reply: how can i modify a 300 xplorer?