Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broken again

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I normally don't reply to posts like this, but I didn't want Loudog to be the odd man out. My 2000 explorer I have never had to do anything to it. A guy a work with just traded in a 95 magnum that was rode hard... and never had a problem, by the way he traded it in for a 02 magnum. Some poeple have good luck with their machines and some have bad. About the only thing one can do if they are not happy/had bad luck with one brand is to try a different brand.

Old 02-19-2002, 02:58 AM
Trailblazer

POLARIS=(The more you got,the more you got to go wrong.)
Think about it!
Last year every time we rode something broke on my400 xsplorer.
1st trip=left front hub locked up 3or4wheel all day(b*tch)
2sec trip=Throttle cable broke
3rd trip=Wouldn't run for sh*t
4th trip=Back chain broke(4miles in mud over my tires)broke teeth on all sprockets.
5th trip=Ran hot stalled all day,exhaust stopped up.
6th trip=Starter went out.
7th trip=Ran hot again(got p*ssed kep going and cooked the rings)the water pump leaked into the lower crankcase ,pushed out all the oil.You guessed it complete rebuild!
Every time it broke down i stoled my sons 250recon,and then i really had a ball.

Old 02-19-2002, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

Bigfish,
I agree with you, I have a 2000 Xplorer also and it has run great. I did have to replace the chain (broken roller) and I need new rotors and pads but that was my fault ( I don't really want to explain). I won't say I baby or abuse my machine but I will say it is used pretty hard. All I've done for mods is a green primary sping and a roller conversion. And both have given good results.
I really think that the troubles come with mods for power and oversized tires. I know that there are people with troubles on thier stock machines but I think the majority come with alot of mods and or continued abuse. I'm not saying everyone with mods abuses there machine, given enough time and money and my machine will be tricked out also. But then I won't be suprised or point the finger at polaris if something breaks.

TXredneck ,
I wasn't going to ask theese questions but I have to.
1. Did you find out why your hub was not working on the first trip?
2. Did you really expect to drive four miles through mud over the tires without a problem?
3. After your four mile mud run did you rinse the radiator out and why didn't you check the exhaust after all that mud?
4. Again after your mud run did you pull recoil housing plug to drain any water that would have got in there after being under muddy water for four miles so your starter would not go bad?
5. Again did you flush the radiator before the final burning of the rings?
And lastlty, one other reason for the water pump seal would be that when you were in water and mud that deep that the radiator overflow bottle cap is under water and it has a vent hole that the muddy water comes in through and contaminates your coolant and then the sand and gritt eat away the pump seal.
I'm really not trying to bag on anyone, but if you ride in these kind of conditions you have to perform certain inspections and preventative maintenance on your machine to expect it to keep performing. Please forgive me if this sounds offending.

Old 02-19-2002, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

I understand the difference between riding and riding hard. Also I understand and perform normal maintenance on my machine. All kidding aside, I don't think anyone who buys an ATV uses it to putt around the golf course. These things are meant to be ridden and ridden hard.

Old 02-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Range Rover

I agree they were made to take some hard riding. And I do believe that they can handle it if you prpare your bike for your type of riding. I have really picked up some good tips from this forum for performance and riding conditions. For example Polaris doesn't recommend going through mud and water above the floor boards, however we like to take them to the seats and some times farther which is fine if you have done some research and know that there are some things that need to be done before and after those kind of conditions example: routing drain and vent lines to the headlight pod or somewhere higher than you plan on going deep, flushing the radiator of mud, draining the starter housing of water or at least checking for it, adding a vent hose to the radiator overflow bottle, pre and post ride lube, ect.,ect. Alot of this pertains to the mud riding but I'm sure there are preparations for other types of riding also. I just think that some people believe that these machines should be able to take anything they can drive it through rite off of the dealers floor and I have never seen Polaris claim that anywhere. If they set the limits low on something I believe that there is usally a reason. And If you plan on exceeding those limits you had better research and ready your machine for it or just replace whatever breaks but don't blame the manufacturer. Don't get me wrong I do agree that there are some lemons out there rite off of the dealer floor and that there is alot of room for improvement. Again I am by no means an expert and will never claim to be. I have only been playing with four wheelers for a couple of years and my best information I have learned from this forum and thank all of you for the info. There are some things that I learned the hard way and had to fix, but then again that is just part of the learning. Sorry for rambling, but thats just my two cents.

Old 02-19-2002, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

SilverOne, that is true unless you owned the golf course.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I hope you have better luck with your Polaris in the future. Have fun out there.

Old 02-19-2002, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wont say another word about Polaris reputation as far as reliability,but I will say this,

I wont be buying another one!

Bill

Old 02-20-2002, 02:20 AM
Trailblazer

Skid
Point well made!Maimtenance is a must.In reply to your ?'s
Yes I did find out why my hub locked up,there is roller type clutch(i don't know the P.C.name sorry)in the hub that controles the drive.Behind that is a steel washer with 2 tabs that stick into the back of the clutch thingy ,when you magnatice the washer it makes clutch engage.Somehow 1 of the tabs broke and the washer slipped and in return loddaged between the clutch and the magnatice causing it to remain in the drive mode.
No I'm not suprised I broke the sprockets ,but I had to get back somehow.
Yes after I got home I cleaned everything inside and out.
Mud didn't stop up my exshsust.It was carbon.I always clean it out like the owner's manual said,but that just didn't get the job done.
Yes I know about the radiator overflow cap.I put cotton in it the cap to catch dirt and sand.I also have a snorkal hose up to the light pod.
I get your point. All that I'm saying is"The more you got the more you got to go wrong".No offence taken.