Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broken again

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went riding this weekend and tore a rear cv boot and my fan quit working on my '01 SP500. I love my Polaris but am starting to wonder if it is worth the maintenance. It seems just about every other ride something happens. Any one else having these problems?

Old 02-18-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

I just returned from a riding trip last night. I took my 2000 xploder 400 4x4. I noticed that the chain was loose so I tightened it before i took it out. I got approximately 500 feet from my truck and snap. The chain broke sending it through the gearcase. Immediately oil starting pouring out of the gearcase. So I got towed back, by a honda, then went to look at the damage. There was about a 1/4" crack around the gearcase. I didn't just want to sit there all day, we had drove 3 hours to get there. So I used some jb weld and sealed the hole. I let it sit for about 3 hours and came back. I used regular motor oil in the tranny because i had no polaris tranny fluid. It worked great. There was no grinding or funny noises. I took it through a huge mudhole where trucks were gettting stuck and almost out snap. I broke my front left cv joint. It blew the cage apart. So I got towed back again, by a honda, and removed the shaft in the parking lot. Then went back on my way. Eventually the jb weld gave way and it started leaking again. I guess it's time for a new gearcase. In the last 3 weeks with only 2 rides I have replaced my stator, starter, everything inside of the hubs, and 2 cv boots. Now things i have to replace as of yesterday cv joint, noticed front hub seal was leaking again, chain, gearcase, and wire that goes to hub to engage 4wd. I have replaced everything on this machine at least once if not twice. It now has 65 hours on it with 300 miles.

Old 02-18-2002, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

MEANGREENMACHINE,
Wow! That sounds horrible.Sounds like you are catching up to bill! My buds 2000 Scram 400 4x4 is just a crapload of problems. First, it just started with flats all the time. I know its not the machines fault, it was just his luck. He was always blowing flats on everyride. This must have happened at least on 5 occations in a row, and everytime he needed to buy a new tire. Next it was carb/throttle problems. His throttle was always sticking, and the idle was always crappy. After a new throttle cable and cleaning out his carb, a caliper went bad while out during a ride, and just his luck he finds out when going down a hill. I could go on about the calipers, but long story short, he went through 3 of them, and replaced a couple brake lines. After all that BS, we went out riding again, only this time it was the worst. His quad was staling out all day, and at one point, we were sitting there for what seemed like forever trying to get it started. The guys in our riding group were way ahead of us waiting impatiently. As soon as I heard his quad start I started mine and headed for the group thinking he was behind me. Well he was, but he only made it about 15ft from where we were when SNAP his chain broke. A looked back and saw him and headed back. When I looked at the damage and I saw the fluid pouring out like crazy. He busted a huge hole in his case and the chain was jammed against it and three of us tried pulling it out. Well I had to tow him home and after no riding for 2 months he went back out and what do ya know, a u-joint snapped. SUX!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]After all this happened, we founded the new Polaris slogan forour dealer:
"The quads are free...as long as you buy the parts from us!"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2002, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

I will tell you that when my polaris runs and everything stays together it is one awesome machine. I am getting tired of fixing it all the time. I would like to sell it and cut my losses but I would lose so much money on the deal. I keep thinking, i replaced everything, nothing else can go wrong. It keeps happening over and over again. I have 3 honda atc 250r's that are about 16 years old. When I take them out I run the hell out of them and they never break. I know that polaris isn't a very reliable machine but I love the features and the looks. I get frustrated every time it breaks but don't get that mad anymore. It is too be expected. When my chain broke sending it through the case yesterday I just looked at it and laughed. My riding buds couldn't believe it and I couldn't either. I just went back to the truck and grabbed a cold one and everything was okay again. I guess I'll just fix it to ride and break another day.

Old 02-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

I agree,I had a 2000 335 sportsman with 860 miles on it when I traded it in dec 2001. I had replaced one rear cv boot a whole set of brakes one rear cluch assembly. Also had the speedometer cable replaced. This quad was never in any serious mud or water but was ridden on numerous trail rides.My new sportsman 500ho ,I just replaced one o ring on one hub now the other is leaking and there is only 165 miles on it.They ride very well but I am also wondering if they are worth the maitenance.They seem to not be water friendly.I have heard that you have to grease all the fittings after every ride to keep out the water.

Old 02-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Guy's,
That just flat out $UCKS.

Sat I spent the day fixing the SP so I could ride it sunday
A broken voltage regulator and a broken fan
The v/c went because a branch went through the wires($hit happens)
The fan stopped from dirt,had to pull it and clean it($hit happens)
This saturday I have to replace another cv boot,a branch got wedged in there($hit happens)
I'm not complaining,NOTHING has failed on me, I ride HARD and these things happen.

I couldent afford to pay the shop to do this,
and thanks to these forums I can do alot of it myself.

Water friendly?? These things are submarines[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2002, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Don't get me wrong, i love my 500..it's terrific in the mud, has plenty of power BUT...haven't had it a year and a half yet and so far... 2 hub seals(started leaking same time), new driven clutch, speedo sensor, and the latest, new cooling fan. When i was in the process of buying the 500 the sales manager asked if i wanted an extended warranty, i said "i'll think about it". Right before the 6 months manufactures warranty ran out i purchased the ext. warr. Looking back, i am extremely glad i did. AT the present time it's with the dealer in the shop. Yes i have thought about selling it, especially when hauling it back to the shop.BUT, when it is running ok it is one tuff s.o.b.

Old 02-18-2002, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

It seems to me that alot of the problems we see on the Polaris is the hubs, fans, and clutches. I think the new 4WD set up on the Sp 700 is awesome. No more messing with leaky hubs and hubs that don't disengange properly. The new set up is an awesome step in the right direction. I hope to see this setup on all newer 4x4's.
The clutches seem to handle excellent for everyone that I know who owns a Polaris. Although, I do hear alot of people having problems on here. I think it has alot to do with the clutches being mis-aligned, not so much a factory defect.
I don't know much about the fans, but from what I hear, it sounds as though Polaris definately needs to improve their fans quality.
I know Polaris likes to belive in their "bigger is better" philosophy, but they have to find other ways to make their product a product of a higher quality and better durability, not just cover it up in some flashy marketing scheme.

Old 02-19-2002, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok i am going to be the odd man out on this one. My dad has a 2001 polaris sports man 500 (granted not that old, about 1yr and 1/2) but never had a problem with it ever. I am a 17 years old and i ride the crap out of this thing. I have taken this thing through deep mud, tight trails, through creeks, you name it i have done it on this atv. and the worst part about it, it isnt taken care of as well as it should be, but once again never a problem. so i know polaris has had a bad rap on there quads but i am going to say this here now that I LOVE MY POLARIS!! it is one great, hard working, powerful quad.

Old 02-19-2002, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

i have an 01 500 ho sportsman ive had it over a year now ive got about 500 miles on it and its been the most abused misused and thrashed on 4x4 i know of ive sunk it in water well above the upper headlight at least a dozen times (always got it going and drove it home) jumped it like a tank that big shoulnt be jumped spent countless hours chewing mud up to the top of the tires (27 inch tires) bounced it off trees put it through the ice and plow snow(alot of snow i plow ice rinks on lakes)and weather ya wanna believe it or not its been absolutely flawless except a couple light bulbs and a few belts (they dont like repeated soaks and drying techniques)and brake pads Id say thats one good god dam machine Id say its performed and held up better then any atv should thanks polaris for building one badass american wheeler

Quick Reply: Broken again