Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Here's my clutch setup, want to change & need recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 11:08 PM
AC
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '99 Sport 400. Put an EPI clutch kit in, model WE414000, with orange primary, purple secondary, and 56g weights.

This setup provides smooth power and nice backshift. I ride at 2500-5000 feet in elevation.

I would like it to be a tad more aggresive. I have too much hesitation now if I'm moving and want to gas it to lighten the front end or get it off the ground. It just won't do it.

I want to be able to keep my low-end that I have now, if possible, yet make it so I can blip the throttle on a whoop-de-doo and get the front end up.

Anyone recommend any changes? I have the stock pipe, so just looking to change a spring(s) and/or weights.

Old 02-25-2002, 01:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Are you game for piping the machine? That along with the clutch kit from that pipe manufacturer are probably two of the best bang for the buck mods. For trail setups, HPD and RCR come recommended.

Ken

Old 02-25-2002, 01:49 AM
AC
Weekend Warrior

Perhaps, but $170 has already been spent. I'd hate to spend that again on a clutch kit and a new pipe. If I could get a pipe that isn't too much louder than stock and modify my existing clutch a bit, I may consider it.

Old 02-25-2002, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

AC,

As much as I hate to say this, you will eventually need a pipe if you want to keep the front end up on the whoops. Frankly, just a clutch kit alone won't do it. Even adding the HPD or Aaen roller clutches won't help if you don't have the power to lift the front end while moving. If you "have too much hesitation" when you try to lighten the front end while moving, then you DON'T have a nice back shift. The power should come on like a geared, manual clutch machine. This is what a roller secondary clutch and proper clutching will do.

To do what you want, you would need a trail mod motor, a roller secondary clutch, a pipe and proper clutching for all of that.

Old 02-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick question.Why does everyone here rant and rave about RCR and HPD pipes and never mention Aaen pipes i run Aaen on my 400 sportsman and think it is great and it is even quiter than my stock one was (it had the drain plug gone).Just like to know the major diferances in these pipes.

Old 02-25-2002, 09:41 PM
AC
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, Mike. I don't want to get that radical ($$$ vs. time spent riding = not worth it), so what can I do that is minor. You say I may not have good downshift. How do I play with just that piece? Chad at EPI recommended I start experimenting with helix/clutch settings, then next try heavier weights.

By the way Mike, my friend just handed me an Aug. 01 ATVaction magazine, and I noticed your letter. Well written and nice ride !!! Can you still call that a Polaris? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2002, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

AC,

I suppose I can still call it a Polaris if the guys riding MX and XC can call their machines Honda 250Rs. At least I haven't changed the frame on it (yet).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'd give a try to the roller secondary clutch. The back shift is instant. It won't run you dollar wise what a pipe/muffler combo would, or provide the same performance, but it will help some. By the time you start buying helixes you'll have paid for the roller clutch.

Old 02-26-2002, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

If you just want snappier throttle response go with lighter weights.

Changing the tension on the driven spring is free. More tension will retard the upshift, and quicken the backshift.

If you switch to a roller driven you'll normally need to go to a steeper helix anyway. In my expirience a roller helix is the equivilant to about a 2 degree shallower helix.

You will notice the difference in clutch performance with a rollar driven though. They're really nice.

Old 02-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

ftwflh,

I have had both the RCR Mid Range Pipe and the HPD Trail pipes on my Scrambler. Performance wise, there isn't $.05 worth of difference. The HPD pipe is routed like the stock pipe, around the frame rail. The RCR is routed behind the frame rail.
Sorry, the Aaen pipe looks like it was pieced together out of the bins in a hardware store. Truly an ugly pipe. It may work good but, who wants to look at it.