Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Sportsman X without front rack....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went ahead and did the modification. Took off the front rack and mounting hardware. Added a set of Hella driving lamps to the rack mounting posts that were sticking up through the fenders. (Had to do something with them!) Turned out pretty darn good.

Borrowing another forums HD drive that I post to alot, here's a link to a pix (hopefully).

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...threadid=25782

Old 02-26-2002, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

The link doesn't work if you're not a member of that site.

Old 02-26-2002, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry. Should have done this in the first place. Try this....

http://www.imageevent.com/dtom65/sportsmanx

Old 02-27-2002, 07:09 AM
Trailblazer

I LIKE IT !!!! May have to do this to mine also.

Old 02-27-2002, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider

Looks good. I personally like the way the genIV body's look without the racks and black fender skirts. Thats why mine looks like it does.

Old 02-27-2002, 08:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think it looks too much like the new TrailBoss. Do you ride in any woods? It just doesn't look like you've got much protection up front. To each his own. If you like it, that's all that matters!

Old 02-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

I think it looks pretty sharp too.
I love quads with no racks. Whenever I'm not at work with mine the racks are off it, and it feels and looks so much sportier.

The SP X does look pretty good though, with or with out the racks. I really like the looks of the SC X too.

Old 02-27-2002, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

Want to sell the front rack. Ill give you $50-75 for them. By friend rolled my xplor and snapped my rack.

Old 02-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually this whole modification started because of woods riding and wanting a front bumper.

Polaris and Warn IMHO dropped-the-ball on the multi-mount winch system. There is currently no bumper product in excistence that allows you to have your multi-mount winch on the front (where you use it 90% of the time) AND have a bumper. They make a mult-mount bumper, but you need to take the winch off and slide the bumper on. That's worthless.

So I cracked the stock black Polaris fiber bumper last Sunday in the wood and began my bumper trek. Even bought a double tube rear bumper and was going to look at fabbing up a adaptor plate to mount this in place of the Polaris fiber bumper. BUT, in looking at the mounting for this, my concern was that if I put something more substantial than the Polaris fiber bumper, the next thing I would be bending is the frame mount brackets. All this bracketry is lighter guage than what the multi-mount winch bracket is mounted to below.

Plan B - rip it all off. I decided to go without instead. I want the winch on the front (for most applications) and I didn't like the prospect of keeping the winch on the back, buying the slip-on multi-mount bumper for the front, and then having to make that switch in 2 feet of mud, because I'd only be able to pull from the front. (Most the time you want to get THROUGH the mud hole, not pull yourself backwards, to try it again!)

I'm going to run with this set-up for awhile and hope it lets me sneak through the trees a little better. I'll see how good the rawhide meats are at bouncing off a tree trunk when I get a little to close.

Old 02-27-2002, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I figured somebody would like to buy that rack, but I would really not want to sell it right now. Sorry. I'm going to keep my quad like this, but there may be some point in the future when I switch it back, so I'd like to hold onto the parts.

Quick Reply: 2002 Sportsman X without front rack....