Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hey thinking of buying a scrambler of some sort help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 08:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im thinking of buying a scrambler sold my raptor and thinking of buying one. I do pretty much gncc riding but not racing. And to add i do jump to. I was thinking of a scrambler 500 2 by 4, or 400 2by4.
What should i be aware of? andy problems? i should be woried about? And also i like mud to. and LOTS OF WATER PLEASE HELP!

KEVIN

Old 03-07-2002, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm selling my 2002 Raptor and looking at buying the Scrambler x 400, but I'm not sure. I rode both the SC 500 4x4 and the SC X 400 and they seem to have close to the same power. I really like the suspension on both.

Old 03-07-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 400 went through some extremly deep water this weekend, close to 4 feet deep, caught me by surprise, just a sudden drop off, it WILL go through anything you have the ***** to, slap on a pair of dirt devils, even better, get the 400, so you can modify it with ease

Old 03-08-2002, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

I noticed that you said you like to jump and from what I have heard, Scramblers don't like to do a whole lot of jumping. I guess someone who owns one should comment more on this subject and since i don't i will just leave it be. I was just giving you a heads up and my info. could be wrong so don't hold me to it. Good luck

Steve

Old 03-08-2002, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I own a scrambler 400 and was told NOT to do alot of jumping it can crack the tranny case so something you might want to read up on more, Other then that it's a great bike

Old 03-08-2002, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

Intresting question. I have a Scrambler 500 and would like to try a Raptor. Is there something you didn't like about the raptor. I love the SC500 and probably wouldn't go without one. My intrest in the Raptor was the lighter wt. and its ability to jump or race.
The SC500 is a great machine, I've never had any problems with mine. Its best feature is the "point-n-soot" type of riding it allows. with the power and 4x4 speed and momentum for climbing isn't an issue. you can go fast or crawl up about anything. Its probably the best choice for those who want to do some sporting and at other times more technical riding. I'm guessing the the 2x4 SC500 is also a great machine though I never treid one. They are both a bit heavy though.
The only trouble I've heard regarding jumping is chain breakage. This may be a case where the chain tension was too tight, I don't know.
If either of you make the change, I'd like to hear how they compare.

Good luck

Old 03-08-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

They are not nearly as good of jumpers as the Raptor, or the Honda ex models. If you DO decide you want to jump with it, chain breakage is common, and once in a while, when the chain snaps, it can 'wad up' between the sprocket and something solid, like the tranny housing or frame, and crack the case where the countershaft comes out, or bend the shaft.
To prevent this, when you jump, let off the throttle. Landing with an open throttle puts great stress on the chain. The engine will rev up, and the auto tranny will 'shift' to a higher ratio due to the sudden loss of load. When you land, quite a shock goes through the chain because the rear wheels may be spinning several times faster than your forward motion, and the sudden shock at landing is what I believe breaks most chains.
A spring-loaded chain tensioner helps absorb some of the shock. Also, use the strongest chain you can find, to prevent breakage.
Between the two models, I would get the 400. The 2 cycle engine takes hop-ups VERY well. Can be modded to keep up with or outrun a Raptor in a straight line.
I think the Scramblers shoudln't be classified as 'sport' bikes, though. They are more 'fast trail bike' in my opinion. Sport implies jumping and racing, they are not the best at that. What they will do is run down trails (even when littered with mud & snow) with the best of them.

Old 03-08-2002, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with farmer,"fast trail bike". I love mine, although it spends alot of time in the shop. I you like to jump try something else. I just ride mine very hard and it breaks down constantly. Great for trails,not tracks. GOOD LUCK

Old 03-09-2002, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

Ask yourself, what is it about the rapor I didnt like, and will the scrambler do what I want it to do? Therin lies your answer.

Old 03-09-2002, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

I would go with the 500 4x4 for the power and since you mud alot so you can pull out your buddies when they are stuck!

Quick Reply: Hey thinking of buying a scrambler of some sort help.