Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

High Performance Polaris Info??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2000, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see a 400 4 stroke motor put in the Trailblazer frame.

send it out with full aluminum floor boards, wheels, bumper and handle bars.

stronger shocks on the front.

make it either a 5 Speed with a clutch or a PVT.

Old 02-29-2000, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Come on Jaime, spill the beans. It has to be something more than a Scramber 500 2x4. Big displacement, light weight? I'll even go for the auto tranny, but we want the horsepower/weight ratio to be right. Pleeeeaaase let us know.

Old 02-29-2000, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

You won't have to imagine it because it won't happen. If they do make one it will probably be 100+ lbs. heavier to offset any performance gains over the present SP500. It's the Polaris way, bigger and heaver.

Polaris is not interested in performance atv's only nascar and brand reconition. Their atv product line speaks for itself. Quite dismal when it comes to performance/sport equipment compared to what is on the market today.

Old 02-29-2000, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I brought my daughter to the orthodontist today. 1 block from my polaris dealer. So rather then sit and wait in a dismal waiting room i went to the polaris place. I sat in a ranger 6x6. Cool! They had a scrambler 500 there. they had a expedition 325 on sale for 4400 bucks. They had a trailboss on sale for 4200 if I remember right. The ranger was on sale for 7700 bucks. They still have a yellow sp500 with a yellow plow there. They still have 1 sp500 remington addition there. Magnum 500's, 2 explorer 400's. one 335 sportmen. I bought a winch cover for my warn 2000 lb. winch. They did not have a expedition 425 cc, my machine out on display. They said they had a couple still boxed up from the factory. They were out of room.

Maybe they will get into the argo or max type of business. Maybe they will make a machine that is a cross of an atv and argo like machine. Another one of my crazy ideas! or maybe they will just get in that business with a new argo like machine period.

rangerchet polaris expedition 425 cc 5 speed.

Old 03-01-2000, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

I will check with managment tommoro and ask if i can tell you guys what it is. I will tell you this you better be the first person to your dealer or you will be sorry. hell give your credit card now that will make sure you will get one. I know my 500 is getting sold and cant wait to buy a new hot rod, banshe eatin, honda spittin, kawaie plawing, arctic crawlin ,bombardier bashin polaris this thing will rock your world.

Old 03-01-2000, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

Frankly, I'm with Jack on this one. Polaris really doesn't have a clue when it comes to all out ATV sport/high performance machines. Here is what we'll probably get, a 2001 Scrambler 455 Diesel that weighs 700 or so lbs. and reaches a blistering top speed of about 40 mph. I really don't think that Polaris has a clue when it comes to marketing either. Come on, a 700+ pound diesel Sportsman that only goes 35 mph! Wow, that'll appeal to a lot of people out there. Or how about the wonderfully bloated Sportsman 335. You can even add the slug like Magnum/Xpedition 325s. Since when does "Less Power/ More Weight" translate into sales? They just don't have a clue. They just take the money from their ATV sales and put it into making fast snowmobiles or water craft or waste their money on that riduclous NASCAR racing. Then turn their backs on the ATV comunity. Don't hold your breath waiting for ANYTHING from Polaris as far as high performance goes.

Old 03-01-2000, 09:23 AM
Range Rover

Ridiculous NASCAR racing?????? Are kidding?? That is where most of the sales come from! Almost everybody that watches NASCAR rides an atv or wants to. Of course Polaris is coming out with an awesome atv it will be the best one so far.
I don't know what you are talking about by polaris being slow, I will stick to the tail of a 400ex through the woods and that's with 25" tires on my Scrambler then he will get stuck cause he has two wheel drive and I will just ride right by, extra weight is VERY WORTH that. I believe Polaris makes their atvs for specific groups, take the diesel, it is made for farmers why should it go fast, it uses the same fuel as most of the equipment on the farm and it is a workhorse. A recreational rider would never buy something like that.

Old 03-01-2000, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Steve,

Yes, ridiculous NASCAR racing! If I want to watch a bunch of rednecks driving around and crashing, I'll watch re-runs of the "Dukes of Hazzard" on TNN. It may seem silly, but there are actually people out there who don't care about NASCAR (like me). Besides real racers turn right AND left. But I digress.

There is no doubt that Polaris machines CAN BE MADE to go fast ( by their owners ). Look at Jack's and my Sport for an example. The problem is that they should have come from the factory that way! They could also both stand to lose about a hundred pounds, each. Believe it or not, the extra weight does wear you down at the end of a long ride. Plus if your Scrambler weighed as much as the 400EX, you wouldn't be following it, you'd be ahead of it. The weight issue is always lighter = better when it comes to sport machines.

I seriously doubt that Polaris has sold over a thousand of the diesel quads. Now ask yourself how many of the new high performance quads they could have sold for as much if not more than the diesel? How many Sportsman 335? How many 325s? No, the high performance machine would be one of their best sellers far out selling the machines I just mentioned.

This is a common problem with most manufactures today. They don't listen to what the public wants, and turns out stuff that we don't need. This is evidenced in the Polaris line-up. Out of the total amount of types made by Polaris, only four are sport machines. NONE OF THOSE are high performance. Practically ALL of their snowmobile line is Sport or High Performance. Ditto with the watercraft. When will they get off their collective backsides and give us something similar? Not this year!

Old 03-01-2000, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

When Kawasaki's best seller is the Mojave, Yamaha's best seller is the Banshee, and Honda's best seller is the 400EX; I wonder not when we hear of these manufacturers developing new sport and high-performance machines. Even my Suzuki dealer told me that he expects a Quadsport LT400E in the not too distant future (2001 model line)

Old 03-01-2000, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

What's with all of the Polaris bashing? You bought 2 of them, did you not?

I admire Polaris for their position in the market. They have been innovative and they have been well received. Heavy, yes. As for the NASCAR sponsorship, the others are probably kicking themselves for not trying it first.

Polaris is marketing their ATV line to niche markets. No the Diesel is not for everyone, but it does meet a unique consumer need. Sportsman 335? A less expensive version of the 500. Auto trannies and now manual shifters. Each of these variations has a buyer.

And for the manufacturing, they are making them affordable by using many of the same parts on different models.

I give it up to Polaris for being committed to growing the ATV market through innovation and niche marketing. Not everyone wants to race, but Polaris may be in that category soon as well.

Quick Reply: High Performance Polaris Info??