Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400EX vs Polaris 400 Sport......my opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rockey,

Finally, an impartial compairison of the two. Once you get past the xenophilic hype that the Hi-Torque ATV rags put out, you'll find that the Polaris machines are VERY good trail machines. The auto clutch, reverse gear and soft suspension really make it easy to ride for long distances. Now if we're talking about the race track, then yes, the 400EX is the better machine. Alas, all the world is NOT a motocross track.

The best fix for the brakes is to substitute the newer steel braided brake lines, and to go with split braking. It still won't stop like a Honda, but like you said it also weighs 100 lbs more.

You're right, these machines weigh a ton. It seems the earlier (non concentric) machines were lighter than the newer machines. Perhaps the concentric drive might have something to do with it. Back when I purchased my Sport, the brochure said it weighed 460 lbs. The new machines are almost 20 lbs. heavier at 479. Still, I like my mild steel (heavy) frame. Anyone with an ounce of welding experience and some 7014 (idiot) rod can weld the frame if it breaks. Try doing that with Chrome-moly. FUN!

In the snow, I've found the round profile tires are actually better than the flat profile tires, as the round tires seem to dig in better. IMHO, it isn't so much the machine, as the tires. I hate to break it to the guys that think that they can "float" over top of the snow, but you're best traction is achieved when the tires dig in. If you want to "float" over snow, buy a snowmobile. The best snow tires aren't the big wide mudders, but rather a thinner tire that digs in to find traction. The ITP AG tires come to mind as being about the best snow tire. Granted they aren't exactly a sport tire, but we aren't talking about sport tires just snow tires. Weight and ground clearance DO make a difference when riding in the snow.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

99500scrambler,
Nobody was comparing the 500 4x4 with the EX, he was talking about the Sport, 2 different quads, not even close to same performance, maybe you should spend some time on a modded Polaris before you judge them.

"The 400ex has all the low end power you could ever ask for" .............your kidding, right? Maybe your mistaking low gearing for power.

Old 03-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 97 Sport 400. True it is not a motocross racing machine, but I am not a motocross racer. My 400 has plenty of power. I keep up easily with my friends Prarie 650 on the trails.I am very pleased with my Sport.I think all quads have there share of problems and thoses problems equal out to how well the machine is taken care of. As for the brakes , you squeeze mine hard and you will be self propelled.

P.S. Pics on profile ( webpage )

J Prentice

Old 03-26-2002, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

One of my friends made the mistake of purchasing a 400ex. After all he is a rag reader, and like the rags say Jesus rode one through Jerusalem. I ride a 98SCR 500 4x4, with a HPD pipe and roller clutch, we are super close in a drag of 100yrds. And through the rocky, bumbie , snow/ice covered woods forget it he is meare toast. Granted if you live in Caly or some place where there is basically no weather they are great, but in PA there are real world obstacles. The SCR. never let me down. It is not the fastest, nor is it the best mudder, nor whatever. Just a great blend of everything. I guess I'm saying if you can live with being # 2 at just about everything (because their is always a machine that is better at a particular thing) get a SCR4x4 500 or 400.

Old 03-27-2002, 04:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Nice to see a contstructive comparison thread. Don't forget, the EX flies through the air nicely also. You guys who've had the pleasure of riding a DS at the dunes are some lucky campers.

Ken Thompson

Old 03-27-2002, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Its realy funny how this old comparison gets the Honda suporters all rialed up. But the facts are actually easy to understand.
A moded 400 Scrambler (does not apply to the 500 Scrambler) is,
1 - Very fast
2 - Comfortable on all day rides
3 - Afordable
4 - Reliable
5 - But most of all, FUN

For some reason this seams to **** off the 400EX riders.

I spent time on both machines before I bought the Scrambler and I'm realy glad I did. If actual performance is more important to you then what your nextdoor neighbors best friends cousin will think, then the Scrambler is a good ride. Easily the best choice for me.
For me the 400EX has a very cramped up rideing position, Wimpy motor, and no reverse. But thats the beauty of these posts. This is nothing more than an opinion. We all have one, and everybody elses stinks!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I say Bitch less and ride more.