Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Good Bye Sportsman 'HELLO XPLORER'

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2000, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my mind is made up.Since the Sportsman has been back from repair in the dealership,[December of 99] it has been good to me.But im wanting something lighter in weight/auto trans and true 4x4 when the AWD is activated so I have to stay with Polaris.I like the 400cc Xplorer.With it's half gallon capacity oil injection jug,you can really travel a long way with this monster.It also has a 4 gallon fuel tank and same size rims that the Sportsman has.I still have my stock tires for the Sportsman.My Mudrunners will be going on the new Xplorer.I checked four differant dealerships today.Dealer one was 6177 w/plow and taxes.Dealer two was 5887,dealer three was 6000,dealer four was 6094.All prices included taxes,and plow,no HIDDEN costs.I want to buy from dealer three because they have a better service department.The Sportsman will be listed in tommorrows want ads and run for ten days.After I sell it,Im going to buy the Xplorer.I really cant wait to run my younger brother's stock 250cc Suzuki.====BILL

Old 02-25-2000, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brought this on? Still scared of the Sportsman because of the way it treated you in the past? I don't blame you.
Good luck with the Explorer
That 400 is awesome

Old 02-25-2000, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Andrew,im finally feeling good about the Sportsman and so I sell it?Well the deciding factor was after I got it back from repair,I got into a situation on a tight hill that made me have to pick=up the rear end on this pig.[Tree was in the way]Man is the Sportsman heavy to pick-up from the rear.So the snappier two stroker[125lbs lighter to] Xplorer is my next ticket.It will lack the IRS that the Sportsman has,but im also picking up alot of extra power to.The weight thing is probably the most deciding factor of all.If I decided to spend the rest of my quad life only on trail riding,the Sportsman would still be mine.But im not yet ready to give up MUD and HILLS.Im really excited about buying it.====BILL

Old 02-25-2000, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like a good choice. 400's are fast and fairly reliable. Couldn't you just buy a plow mount and use the plow from your sportsman. Or do you think you would get a better deal by buying the whole package(plow and mount) Or would it be a different brand plow.

Old 02-25-2000, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, how much of the "Perfection by Possession" can we stand?

After YEARS of this, "Sportsman is the model perfect (improved) quad . . .", and so on, are we now doomed to read "Oh, man, my Xplorer is really great, lemme tell ya . . ."

You're fickle, Bill!

Tree Farmer

Old 02-25-2000, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,

I own a 99 Explorer and here is some advice. If you are going to add a plow, winch, and bigger tires you will need the heavy duty front springs. The stock springs will not hold up the extra weight of your add on's. Also check right front tire strut clearance larger tires on Explorer front ends tend to rub the steering arm on right front side.

Above all make sure dealer puts in the extra 2 stroke oil in the fuel tank, 12.8oz to be exact for first tank of gas. My last 2 polaris purchases did not have oil in fuel tank I had to add it myself. After first tank of gas make sure the oil in resivor goes down. Another thing use only NGK plugs they are the best.

Old 02-25-2000, 10:44 PM
Range Rover

If i were to sell my Arctic Cat and get another
brand, it would probably be a Explorer 400.
One of my riding buddies had one and it rocked!
it was a 95 model, but i assume they are pretty much unchanged for 2000, expcept some instrument
work overs. Anyway, i dont know if every 400 will do this , but in high gear, on pavement (and sometimes dirt) you could nail it,and it would wheelie. Didnt have to pull on the handle bars or nothing. The only problems he had was a Water Pump seal went bad, and a weld bead broke on the front A Arm, and of course, it didnt like deep water that much cause of the belt.

Old 02-25-2000, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, bill wonder who will sell there quad first? My 98 Sportsman went in the paper on thursday. For the same reason as you except for one. My wife wants one too! Told her a couple weeks ago i was going to upgrade a 2000 explorer because i wanted more power and less weight, she repied fine as long as i get one too! Looks like i'll have a new ridding partner!

Old 02-26-2000, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Bill, doesn't the xplorer have a chain final drive? Not the hot setup for mud ridin'. Anyway, good luck with what ever you buy.

Old 02-26-2000, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

BOB,the rear is chain driven,it is also concentric drive,so maintainance will be alot less than conventinal chains.I really dont plan on mudding alot like I did with the Sportsman.Tree Farmer,I dont know why you say that I beleive the Sportsman to be the ''Model perfect quad''cause those words ''NEVER'' come out of my mouth.I've allways tried to point out the good with the bad on the Sportsman.You really need to read things more clearly.Im sorry if that's the impression I give you.Anyone else in here feel the same as TF?Or could it be TF has such a dis-like for Polaris quads that he dont like it when someone brings up something they like about a Polaris and he mis- judges it for someone quoting ''the model perfect quad'?If TF feels ''DOOMED''by reading my posts,than perhaps when he see's a post of mine he ought to just skip thru it.I plan on giving a complete evaluation of my riding likes and dislikes on the Xplorer,just as I did with the Sportsman.Some will agree with my evaluations,some will disagree with them.That's all ok,it's what helps to make for an interesting Forum.JB450s,yes I could probably remove the plow from the Sportsman and get new mounting brackets for the Xplorer,but im thinking the Sportsman will sell a little better with it equipped with a plow.I allready had one call on it this morning.The guy is suppose to meet me this afternoon.Odin,I'd like to thank you for your advice on the new Xplorer.I will be taking your post out and giving it to the Polaris Mechanic when they prep the new quad.About the front springs?Should I go aftermarket or buy Polaris springs?Do you have a part# for the heavier springs?Im not going to be installing a winch,just a plow.Good day to all,====BILL

Quick Reply: Good Bye Sportsman 'HELLO XPLORER'