Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sp700,rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 07:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone put a polaris tube bumper on there sp7000 yet,,if so did you have to drill any holes,,,the bumper i got from my dealer does not seem right,,,it shows it mounting to square support tubing with holes already there,,the 700 has round with no holes????

Old 04-03-2002, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

How old is your sp700. I think the first issue 700's came with square tubing and the later ones like mine came with the round tubing like th sp500. I heard that the 500 bumper fits the newer 700's.

Old 04-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

sportsman43,
You in fact have the wrong bumper. It is for the early SP700s with the rectangular rear rack mounting system. You need the one for the tubular rear rack mounting system. It is the same bumper that fits the SP500HO. I have the rectangular style and must say that the bumper was much easier to install. Four bolts and nuts and took five minutes to install.

Old 04-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Range Rover

I just picked up a rear tube bumper for my 700. Early edition with the square rack mounting system. I wonder what polaris was thinking with the top pre drilled holes in the mounting system since you only use the bottom two holes? One thing I wasn't happy about already was " MADE IN CHINA" on the box that it came in. The dealer brought it to my attention because he was even less happy. He said everyone should write to Polaris and voice their displeasure. Kind of strange for an atv that is touted as the only atv " Made in america and tested in america". If you want to voice your opinion, I guess you'll have to write because you sure can't get anyone on the phone. After waiting 6 months, I was just happy to get one.

Old 04-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

thanks guys!!!
i know that the bumper i got from my dealer is for an earlier sp700 model with the square tubing..and mine is the newer round tubing,,

sp700,,feel the power..

Old 04-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Range Rover

VeryPicky,
I believe you may also have the wrong rear bumper. All four holes should line up perfectly as they did on mine. The part number for double tube rear bumper used on models built between 8/20/01 and 9/30/01 with rear rectangular rack system part number 1013724-067 require double tube rear bumper part number 2874114-067. All models built on October 1,2001 and later are equipped with tubular rear rack support part number 1040490-067 and require double tube rear bumper part number 2872038-067 the same bumper which is used on the SP500HO.

What leads me to believe that you have the wrong bumper also is because I tried to use the SP500HO style bumper when I got my SP700 last September. The bottom two holes lined up perfectly but the top ones did not. I would have had to make a bracket and just decided to wait until the correct bumper was available. It sure was a slick installation requiring only five minutes to install the correct bumper. Four bolts and nuts, not the funky tapered spacers and clamps that the tubular rack system uses. The Ranger also uses a bumper that bolts on with four bolts and nuts. This same bumper is also used on the Freedom Series SP500HO. I was at the dealer this evening and noticed that it had a tubular rack system but with the four bolt system and not the tapered spacers and clamps. When I questioned this setup the dealer stated that it is the same bumper as the Ranger. Perhaps this is what you received. Check your part number to make sure you received the correct bumper.

Old 04-04-2002, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer

I have one of the first edition 700's with the square support tubeing. I have had my rear tube bumper for around 2 months now {REAR BUMPER KIT PN 2874114} and like 700GUY says, installation time is 5 minutes and all of the holes line up perfectly.
I still have the box and instructions, and it says the bumper was welded and inspected in Canada and the instructions were printed in U.S.A.
Nothing about "MADE IN CHINA" anywhere.

Being a welder by trade {now own mech. contractor co.} I can say that the quality and fit of my rear tube bumper was excellent.

The part number of the bumper alone is 1013913-067 as listed under kit components on the installation instrctions included with mine.
HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE, DALE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

MY PICS

Old 04-04-2002, 10:21 AM
Range Rover

My bumper also says made in Canada and instructions printed in USA, the same as Scaryfast's.

Old 04-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Range Rover

700GUY
I'll try to describe the bumper I have. It does have 4 bolts and when I held it up to the rear mounting bracket,while I was at the dealership, they did line up. Kit Part # is 2874094-067. In the instruction sheet it says ( Application-Polaris Sportsman 700. The part # for the bumper alone is 1013865-067. The mechanic at the dealer did mumble something about changing the styling on them. The top tube on this bumper kind of flairs up about 8" from the end and then straight out again. The bottom tube is straight like all the rest of the tube bumpers. The box say's "MADE IN CHINA". The machine is still at the dealers (Carb problems), or I would go out and install it to make doubly sure. Part of my question was: After you use the 4 holes to install the bumper, I still have 2 more pre- drilled holes at the very top of the square mounting bracket. I just wondered what polaris had in mind for them? Another way to describe the bumper I have is: When your looking at the bumper, right at the center of the bumper, their is a 1" space between the tubes. At both ends of the bumper, starting about 8" from each end, their is 2 and 1/2" of space between the tubes. It wouldn't surprise me that polaris changed the styling mid -stream. To get off the subect a little, I ran into another 700 owner, that had the brush guard front bumper from the 500H.0, installed on his 700. It looked good. I'll post a thread and try to describe how he installed it with very little modification. Let me know if your's or anyone else's rear bumper fits the description of the one I have.

Old 04-04-2002, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

back to the dealer i went today after work...

the back bumper was for sp700 earlier model with the square tubing,,
my sp700 has round tubing,,took it back today and got the right bumper its made for round tubing,dealer said its the same one that fits the sp500..
got the back bumper on tonight,,took some time with those spacers and the brackets seemed allfull tight.
had to fight with them alittle.
one more thing,the front was made in china,the back one was made in canada,,the made in canada bumper is much heavier duty..

sp700,,feel the power..

Quick Reply: sp700,rear bumper