Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sp5 Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2000, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone unhooked their rear sway bar??? It seems that in all of the test reports I have read, the pilots say it will give you the true IRS.

Old 02-27-2000, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

If you remove the sway bar the polaris still tracks well in turns and becomes even more plush for every day riding.It works very well for slow rocky trail.I heard of one guy who rig the bar up with some sore of quick-disconnect blocks where you just pull cotter pins one each side of the machine and swing the two piece units out of the way to loose the sway bar efect when he felt like it.

Old 02-29-2000, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have removed The sway bar on mine and it is quite a different ride. still fine at high speed but in high speed turn it will lift the ineer front tire about 6 inches off the ground so you have to lean into it like you would on a motorcycle. it works realy well for rocks but if you are going up hill at an angle ( like in a wash out) instead of letting the bike sit more level it actually tips it more towards downhill. this is becase the shock on the uphill side is allowed to push the bike towards the down hill side and the one on the downhill side can't hold the wait so is allowed to compress further then it would if it had the swaybar connected.

I ran with mine off for awhile but i live in the mountains and spend every ride in the wash outs going up and down them, so i oppted to reconnect it for more stability. If you do alot of just trail riding with not many steep, rocky, hills then it is definately the way to go. (just becareful on high speed turns).

It is easy to disconnect if you want to see for yourself how the ride is. And you only have to take out 1 of the aluminum connectors for it to work.