Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front hub lube changing procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2000, 11:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am changing the lube in my front hubs and the factory manual I got with the machine is very vague. What is the best way to change this lube and what is the best lube to use- factory or aftermarket? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2000, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

Pete, Jack the front up so both front wheels are off the ground. Remove plug then rotate wheel so plug is facing down. Let all fluid drain,rotate wheel back and forth slightly too make sure that it all came out. Rotate so plug is up. Add some fluid and rotate slowly to the 4 o-clock position. If no fluid came out, add some more. Repeat until fluid flows out. I used the Polaris fluid. I think it was $3 and theres enough to do it a couple of times.

Old 02-28-2000, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

The manual does say to rotate to the 4 o'clock position, but when checking the level that the factory used, fluid started running out at the 3 o'clock position. So, that's where I filled mine back up to.

To answer your question, Pete, the best way to do it in my opinion is to jack the front end off the ground, and remove both front wheels. Otherwise, when you remove the drain/fill plug and drain the hubs, fluid will get all over your rims, and will be annoying to get off. Once you drain them, keep refilling it until fluid runs out at whichever position you feel most comfortable with. 3 or 4 o'clock should work fine. My polaris mechanic told me that automatic transmission fluid would work, and being a Mobil 1 fanatic, I decided to use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I've had no problems. One other thing you may want to do with the plug out is to clean the metal contaminants off the magnet in the end of the plug.

Old 02-28-2000, 09:16 PM
Range Rover

Thanks fellas for the info- easy job.Done! Thanks again. PS- the owners handbook leaves alot to be desired. I have gotten more info from riders like you than the book can tell me. Pete