Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

"Intelligent On-Demand" will not disengage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002 | 02:07 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Help, I want to try to fix this myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Were do I start?

Old 04-13-2002 | 02:34 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Not so brite(first time)
2000 Sportsman 500
1500miles
I noticed this a month ago but hoped that the cold had somthing to do with it, but with warmer weather I want to go on sme longer rids and I am afrad that i wil take out the front drive.
TX

Old 04-13-2002 | 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

How do you know?does it pull?AWD light on?
Sometimes mine sticks but will come out when I put it in reverse for a few feet,Did you drive in reverse?
Have you checked the hub fluid?4 or 8 o'clock
Have you changed it?What did you use?

Old 04-13-2002 | 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine did the same, probably just need to change oil in hubs. ie. take the caps off and drain oil, fillerup to 4:00 with ATF. I think they use a low grade o-ring on the hubs because they seem to swell so it's sorta hard to get back in. Use a little grease on it and make sure it doesn't pop out of it's groove when you install.

Old 04-13-2002 | 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

You do know you dont have to remove caps
to change hub fluid dont ya ?
Just pull the plug,right.

Old 04-13-2002 | 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, but I would think you could get more of the old oil out by doing both. Since there both on opposite sides of a bearing.

Old 04-13-2002 | 08:55 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I don't understand how the level or the quality of the oil in the hubs would affect anything other than bearing life? I did change it in the fall, I used polaris recomended hub oil...
I live on a lake and it is just now thawing and it is a blast to rip around on wet ice, driving in 2WD is way better to handle unless slipping so I switch in only when I need 4WD. so like in the past month or two it won't shift out of 4WD (mud, water, snow and ice is flying off all fours but when I'm boot'n over to the neighbors or what ever I have to put up with 4WD steering and all the while the the switch is off.
So what now?
Where is the celanoid that shifts the transfer case to the front end??

Old 04-14-2002 | 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

<< I don't understand how the level or the quality of the oil in the hubs would affect anything other than bearing life?

Where is the celanoid that shifts the transfer case to the front end??
>>

GordMagee
On the 500 sportsman's you always have power going to the front hubs coming from the &quot;transfer case&quot;. There is a Hilliard clutch in each of the front hubs that is magnetically engaged to enable 4wd. The wrong oil, low oil, worn plates, over tightened hubs , and some other stuff can cause problems like you describe. You would be wise to invest in a service manual if you plan to work on it yourself.

Old 04-14-2002 | 03:28 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

SHAGGY500HO
&quot;You would be wise to invest in a service manual if you plan to work on it yourself. &quot;

You have been realy helpfull, I have looked at a manual but chose to down load the parts manual and try that.

Thanks Again

Old 04-14-2002 | 09:29 PM
Range Rover

The above comments are correct, one other thing that can effect the disengagment is a streached retainer spring, this go's around the clutch rollers and is what disengages the hub when the power is cut.
I have over 5,000 miles on my 96(very hard miles)and have never had this problem happen to me, I do change hub oil at least 2 times a year.
Keep in mind the nature of this hub, the reason you should not over fill the hub is due to the expantion and contraction of the oil, the ATF has no problem heating up and expanding (closed system no vent)
the preasure can build in the hub or be pushed past the seals. Now the problem part, the contraction, as things cool, a vacuum is formed in the hub. This can happen quickly when you do a river crossing, etc. this is where the dirt and grime comes from. The oil is a key player in the release of the clutch, KEEP IT CLEAN, I have worked on others front ends that have been hanging up, every time I pull dirty / watery oil from the hub. It is my opinion that the only way to change the oil is to pull the cap, and better, pull the whole hub apart, this is easy and fast after you have done it once or twice. Jump in and understand the workings of your ride, you will not be dissapointed.

Quick Reply: "Intelligent On-Demand" will not disengage!