Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Faulty primary E.B.S unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my problem:

When my ATV is in gear, hi,low or reverse, and it\'s idleing, it moves ahead slowly w/ lil' surges.

The dealer had this to say:

<< This is usually caused by a faulty primary E.B.S unit, if it is still in warranty bring it in, as we just usually replace the clutch. Thanks >>

Has any body else had a problem w/ this, and is it expensive to fix if I'm still not under warranty?
Thanks Alot,
PAT

Old 04-17-2002, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, I have heard of it. What happens is that if you use high gear when you are pushing snow, hauling something under load the belt only engages the inside of the primary sheaves and builds up heat. The heat and more than normal slippage wears grooves in the clutch and the belt engages almost all the time. Low range for pulling heavy loads or speeds less than 7mph!

The only way to fix it is to replace the clutch. I am guessing $200 or more for the clutch and that is using your weights and springs. Not sure how much the labor at a dealer would be.

Do you know your dealer very well? Maybe you can work with him on being able to warranty it if your just outside the time limit.

Old 04-17-2002, 08:04 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for replying,
the dealer said if it the case then they'd try and get some used parts to make it cheaper. Don't know if I want used parts in there, but I guess as long as they work. Do you know how hard of a job it is, I'm sure I could do it if I had the parts.
This is what my buddy thinks is the problem, so I might try this first...

<< Faulty EBS is possible but doubtful. All of the creeping problems that I have heard about are secondary clutch alignment probs. It's just a matter of shimming the clutch out with a couple of washers. >>