Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EBS not working on SP700

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've lost the ebs on my sp700. It doesn't work at all in HI gear. In low gear it will work for about the first 20' or so and than it will let loose and start free wheeling. It also doesn't run near as good as it did when it was new. I am thinking that the belt is stretched or something else wrong with the belt. I did ingest some mud and water in the clutch housing a while back and I'm wondering if that has something to do with the problem. I'm having a hard time trying to get it through the mechanics head at the dealership that the belt may be bad. Has anyone else had any problems with their EBS or belts on their 700's? I've always owned Polaris but after all the problems I've had with this 700, I'm seriously thinking of selling it and changing over to the 660 Grizz.

Old 04-30-2002, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yah,
and go from one problem[Polaris]to another?I like everything about the new Grizz except even it has WATER problems.

Bill

Old 04-30-2002, 11:58 PM
Range Rover

I would say you need to take a look in side the tranny cover. Inspect the belt and see if you have any water in there. Take the red cap off the bottom of the cover and see if any water comes out. If not I bet you did have water in there and then smoked the belt. Either way an easy fix and you wont find a better high water quad stock than a 700.

Old 05-01-2002, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

Muddy4LIFE
I don't believe I asked for a recommendation on what Quad I should buy. I did ask if anyone has experienced any problems with belts. Since you did not respond to the question I posted, I'll take it that you have not had any problems. When I'm ready to buy another brand (which I believe will be soon) I'll be sure to ask you for advice. NUFF SAID!

Old 05-01-2002, 08:20 PM
Range Rover

Hairback357
Thanks for your reply. I did everything you suggested at the time I ingested the water. That was about 200 miles back. My guess was as you suggested, the belt. I guess I'll have to demand to the dealer that they replace it. Dealers mechanic says that the ebs on the 700 isn't that strong. When I stopped laughing, I asked him not to blow any more smoke up my a$$. I'll make them replace the belt and that should solve the problem. I hope.

Old 05-01-2002, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

VERYPICKY: Have you noticed your idle coming up a bit on your 700. If the engine doesn't slow dwon enough the EBS won't work right either. One other thing you can check your machine may have a torn intake boot the easiest way to check it is pull the right side cover off, start your bike and push on the intake boot with your finger. If the idle changes you have a torn boot!!!!! They usually tear right at the bottom. Hope this helps.
Dave

Old 05-02-2002, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

You shouldn't have to demand anything. It should be a lifetime belt warranty if you bought it new.

Old 05-02-2002, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

The EBS not strong enough? Thats funny. I have heard others say that to but not on mine. Ill tell ya I have to give mine gas to get it rolling again. In the loose stuff the back tire will just stop spinning. When I am about to go down a hill I always make sure I am in high range or I will be looking at my @ss in no time. hahahha I hope you find the problem. It has to be the belt. At least thats what I think anyway. Let us know when you have found the problem so we know what to look for if it happens to us.

Old 05-02-2002, 02:27 PM
Range Rover

I havn't noticed the idle increasing and the intake boot was replaced about 2 weeks ago. It wasn't cracked but the dealer replaced it anyway while he was working on the carb because he heard that they were collapsing under a load. The dealer Ordered the clutch kit that AAEN is offering now. It should be in this week and when he installs it, I told him to fix the EBS before I picked it up again. He did mention something about checking a roller. Their just too lazy to go in there and check the belt. He will replace it this time since he will already be in there installing the clutch kit. He know's I didn't buy the part about the ebs not being very strong. Like Hairback357 says, when mine was new, it was too strong. I'll get it fixed, one way or another. I'll let you know how it went when I get it back. If anyone is in the dark about the clutch kit I am talking about, it is mentioned in these forums under the post titled 700 CLUTCH SPRING. Actually it's an upgrade.