Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hubs locking in in reverse AWD, Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this a few months ago and got no response, So I thought I'd try again. I have a 2002 SP 500 HO. It is my first Polaris, and I couldn't be more pleased, except for one problem, possibly that I caused myself. Anyway, I tried the reverse override mod, and it works fine, the next day, I tried the AWD reverse override mod, and it worked until I backed up in reverse, and they pulled forward again, causing one of the front hubs to lock, jerking the bars to that hubs side. I went back and replaced the AWD mod like it was when stock, leaving just the reverse override wire cut, still needing to hold override when needing AWD in reverse. Now when I'm in reverse and the AWD switch is on, no matter if override is pressed or not, or if AWD is actually needed and engaged, one of the front hubs locks in, jerking the bars again. I also noted that when I'm in AWD and the front wheels are actually engaged, they jerk from side to side, like the hubs are going in and out. Does anyone know what would be causing this? Could it be from the override wire I cut, even though the AWd wire is still intact? Hope someone can help, any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Andy S.

Old 05-05-2002, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will answer the question about the bars being
pulled out of your hands like it is going in and
out.

The front end don't engage untill your rear wheels
have spun 20% if your tires dont have the same air
pressure in them it could cause the hubs to
go in and out while in reverse.

Old 05-07-2002, 10:34 AM
Trailblazer

good one atv nut! most people don't think about air pressure and the diameter of the tires

Old 05-07-2002, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

Lets do the math

Tire size = 25 inches x pi (3.14) = 78.53 inches. This is the distance of one tire rotation.
Whereas the engagement of the Heller clutch is where the axle turns a maximum of 36degrees (10% of a rotation - not 20) ahead of the wheel, this means that 10% of the 78.53 inches is needed to engage the hub clutch – or 7.85 inches of rotation of the rear wheels. So unless your front tires are shrunk down from 25 to 22.5 inches tall from lack of inflation, the properly functional Heller clutch cannot engage in less then a 6.5 foot run (78.53=7.85 /pi) and there would not be a jerking into lockup – a more gradual engagement would be expected.

The clutch is very simple in design and function. I think you have a problem that may or may not be serious but you won’t know that until the hubs are removed and all of the components inspected. If you are doing it yourself buy a shop manual and a good torque wrench. Many have done more damage buy winging the reinstallation without the instructions.

Old 05-08-2002, 02:38 PM
JNC
Weekend Warrior

I have the same problem but it's not the hubs it's the brakes. If I go backward and put on the brakes, then go forward the machines pulls to the left.
I have to go backwards again, hitting the brakes and it fixes itself.

jnc

Old 05-08-2002, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem with my 98 xplorer and I changed the hub fluid and that took care of it. Its been a year and it hasn't happend again, try it its might be a cheap fix.

Old 05-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Make sure to put grease on the seals of the hub when changing the fluid.
Im not sure how much polaris hub fluid is but you can use AUTOMATIC TRANSMITION TYPE F fluid if the Polaris stuff is to much.
Im not sure why they do it but my 98 xplorer does it all the time.
My xpidtion hasen't done it but I change broke cvjoints enough to keep good hub oil in mine.