Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Xplorer ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2000, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new 00 Xplorer was ordered last Saturday,with EBS and a snow plow.I paid 6350 including taxes for everything.They give me 300 dollars in free accessories.I put it towards the EBS.Im hoping to have it by this Saturday.Im calling dealers today for Mud Runners.The Sportsman is still in the family.My bro John bought it.What kind of 2 cycle injection oil is best for me?What kind of chain lube is everyone using?Anything special I need to know about this quad?====BILL

Old 03-06-2000, 11:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new ride you just ordered, let us know how you like it when you get it. You asked about the injection oil, I would whole-heartedly recommend the Polaris Gold. The stuff is expensive ($25 a gallon) but you won't hardly use any. I was very surprised at how little it uses, I have two Yamaha ProVXR waverunners and they suck the oil down. I would go bankrupt tring to run Gold Synthetic in them so I run the cheaper stuff you buy in Walmart by the gallon.
I personally like having the peace of mind knowing I am running the very best in my engine. With it your engine will only smoke a little bit until it warms up then it should be 99% smoke free.
I also just wanted to mention how happy I am with the 400L engine in my Scrambler. It starts easily every time no matter how cold, and runs flawlessly. When I was trying to decide between the SCR500 and the SCR400 I kept hearing about how the 2 stroke requires more maintenance etc. It seems to me that nothing could be further from the truth. I have no engine oil to change, obviously no oil filter. I just add my Polaris Gold every few times I go riding and that's about it. I can't wait to add a pipe so that the engine can really shine!

Matt SCR400

Old 03-06-2000, 12:00 PM
Range Rover

I like the Polaris Premium Injector oil, it smokes less than the blue stuff. You may not have the bottom end in the Explorer you had in the Sportsman but you will like the sportier performance.
Scott.

Old 03-06-2000, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Lets see oil:

Phillips 66 INJEX 9 dollars a gallon excellent oil

Amsoil synthetic injector oil 13.50 a gallon excellent oil

Bombardier Rotax oil 15 dollars a gallon excellent oil

Polaris standard oil 17.50 a gallon too expensive and stinky for people following you. My opinion.

I have use all of these oils in my Polaris quads , ski-doo snowmobile, my chain saws, weed wackers, hedge trimmer with no oil failures.

I do not use Polaris oli because of the cost and smell ( don't let this stop you from using it I myself don't like it, but it is a high quailty oil). INJEX is a damn good oil used buy professional racers everywhere don't let the price fool you. I like the Amsoil so far but have not burned enough to tell for sure how good it is. The Bombardier oil is simply awesome. We tested it against Polaris and Artic Cat oil in minus -20 below zero last winter and the Rotax oil flowed better and had less smoke. On a side note I pulled the head on my snowmobile that has 800 miles on it to inspect the pistons and there was zero ash and no carbon build up using the ROTAX oil.

Confusing eh Bill? If your dealer threatens to void your warranty if you do not use Polaris oil tell him he is full of ****.

Old 03-06-2000, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Congrads Bill,
Well, I'm not a big two-stroke fan, and it seems that you have enough responses on the 2-stroke oiling system to thoroughly confuse you..
On the chain lube thing... Just remember that the idea of lubing the chain is to lubricate the o-rings... not necessarily the chain... I use Bel-Ray chain lube (aresol can)on my Scrambler (and now my 300EX) chains. The stuff is sticky, but if you put in on after you've cleaned the chain from the previous riding, it gives it time to soak in and dry up... I wouldn't suggest putting it on just before going on a big ride...
Also, spray the chain twice, once concentrating on the "outer" side of the o-rings as they pass around the rear sprocket... then again concentrating on the "inside" of the chain.. Do this just to make sure you have a liberal coat of lube ALL the way around the o-ring...
So, when do we get to hear the drag race results between the Sportsman and the Explorer?

Old 03-06-2000, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Bill ;I used the Polaris Gold synthetic in my 300 and it still runs like a top after nearly 5900 miles. It is a 94 model. On the Chain lube I would personally reccomend Maxima Chain Wax. This is a excellent product that really impressed me when I started using it. No kidding, I have never replaced a chain while using the Maxima and rarely had to adjust the rear chain on my 300 or 425. It is a great product.

Old 03-06-2000, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

I like the Mud Runners so much that I ordered a set of them today for 357 dollars complete.26 inch all the way around.I could'nt resist buying another set.My brother John bought the Sportsman,he did not want to let go of the Mud Runners on it,so he paid me 300 ADDITIONAL DOLLARS for them to stay on it.So check this out,it means im paying only 57 dollars for NEW Mud Runners.Who can beat that deal?They should be here at my house by this Thursday.My new quad is in allready.The dealer is waiting for the EBS to get here so we can get this quad to its new owner,ME.======BILL

Old 03-06-2000, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bill, That new Explorer sounds like it should be a blast. I have a friend that is looking at trading his 325 Trail Boss in on the 400. Just wondering, How much more ground clearance does the mudrunners give you. I have never heard of them. Also, Do you have you heard of anyone installing larger tires and rims on a 300 Explorer.

Old 03-06-2000, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just curious. Do you anticipate the EBS for the plow work or does it really make a difference in Trail riding. Me being without EBS, I don't really know how it affects the ride.

Old 03-07-2000, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

Id like to thank everyone for there sound advice.Im going to go with the Polaris Gold,at least for the first gallon of injection oil anyway.Than perhaps I may try the Rotax stuff.It seems like alot of riders are using the wax for the chain,it will be my choice to.Tidlewave,the Mud Runners will add about an inch of Ground Clearance to the Xplorer.These tires add ALOT of traction compared to stock tires.Their tread lugs are very deep and agressive.I did'nt go to 27s because of the possibility of scraping the fenders.And im not going to add a lift [to many horror stories].The EBS?Well, what it does for you is control your downhill descends.On gear driven quads,you only need to drop down to first gear to control the quad from ''free wheeling'' down a steep hill.On Automatic transmission quads,the Engine Braking System [EBS]stops your quad from free wheeling down a steep hill.Its just like having a first gear on your quad.I really liked it alot on the Sportsman,so thats why I had it added to the Xplorer.=====BILL

Quick Reply: 2000 Xplorer ?