Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Pipes for scrammy's

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im geting a scrammy 400, 2002. I am looking into a pipe for it. i have heard alot about most pipes, and i have narrowed it down to just a couple, if you would, please state your opinion on witch pipe is better. i am looking to trail ride with the scrambler, and a little pit riding hear and there!!

the HPD trail pipe (below)

Trail or
Trail Mod Pipes
400 Sports or Scramblers

98-01 Scrambler & 99-01 Sport. Black
PART # ATVP8 • LIST $205.00,

or the hot seat preformance pipe (below)

Generation II Adjustable Scrambler/Sport Pipe ,Price: $219.00

it says that the hot seat pipe add's 10 horse power , vs. the HPD pipe, 7-8 horse power.

tell me what ya think!

p.s., im assuming yo have to jet with each pipe, if so does it come with all the equitment that i would needt to jet with, could i just take it to my dealer and tell em' to install it for me? or would i need to by junk for them to do it? im new to the modding of atv's but i think i know the basics.

pss. i heard with the hpd, you need the clutch kit to have the pipe? is this true?

Old 06-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

You will need to clutch the quad to match the new pipe. The new pipe will change the rpms where stuff happens.

You will also have to rejet, you cant make more HP without adding more air and fuel to the bike. With the pipe you are increasing your exhaust, the pipe by itself will do some, you will feel the real benifits of the pipe after you clutch, increase your intake by changing carbs or reworking your stock carb, then porting and head mods.

Narrow your choices to HPD or RCR. If you cant get HPD or RCR and you have to get something now you can settle for the others.

Old 06-01-2002, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the reply, annyone else?

Old 06-01-2002, 08:12 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I agree with Ronnnn,RCR or HPD.

Old 06-01-2002, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

but why does the hot seat pipe gain more peak horse power?

Old 06-01-2002, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

You ought to consider a stage 1 kit from RCR (Ritter Cycle). It comes with the jets, air box mod, different clutch springs and a pipe. I believe you can get the stage 1 with the HPD pipe.
It will wake up your Scrambler. Call & talk to Rick Ritter and he will set you up.

Old 06-01-2002, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Why the difference in peak HP. Numbers are just numbers, each manufacturer tests thier own way, they use different machines, on different days the machines could give different numbers. Dont put to much emphasis on peak numbers.

Pick a manufacture whether it be HPD or RCR and stay with them through the build of your quad. You will get good support and answers to your questions if you ask the people who built their setup.

Old 06-02-2002, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

I have a scrambler 400 as well, and all my mods (that was on the machine when I bought it) are aaen. http://www.aaenperformance.com
pipe, alum lite silencer and clutched. It runs well. It also has a Mikuni TMX 38mm carb with a K&N air filter with the air box removed. The performance is great.

Old 06-02-2002, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Ron,
Sounds like you must have done a test on all pipes made for the 400 Polaris. If not, where did you get your information on which one is better?

expedition00,
Your on the right track for a pipe choice, both of them are great pipes. I have the hotseat pipe and like it a lot, I like the fact thats its adjustable. I put it on the lowest setting for trails and change it for high end when I go to the dunes. I know its tough making a choice on which pipe to go with, but I can tell you, if you go with any of the pipes that have been mentioned so far your not gonna be unhappy. You will need to change your clutch setup when you buy your new pipe. Get the clutch from whoever you get the pipe from. And yes you will need to do a simple main jet change. Very easy to do, and so is the pipe, I wouldn't have the dealer do it. Good Luck and enjoy your new ride.

Old 06-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

Not all the pipes, out little group has only tried the AAEN, RCR, HSP, DynoJet and HPD.

I now run HPD but if I couldnt get an HPD I would run the RCR.

When building the 400 engine you and I both know it is better to get the
whole package from one place.

Its also pretty safe to say that HPD leads in mainstream polaris power, RCR sells HPD parts and RCR parts with great customer service.

Knowing this information if someone like "expedition00" asks about a pipe I answer with what I know, "expedition00" will take all the answers given to him and make his choice from their.

Owners of the other manuafacures pipes will add their opinions just as I did mine and thats a great thing about asking a question on a forum such as this because you can get replys from lots of different people each with their own expierances.

Quick Reply: Pipes for scrammy's