Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

5 days/550 miles on new SP700

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS
my 700 sucks gas really bad. I have a great deal of difficulty believing that someone could get 65 miles from a tank. Maybe you are looking at the kilometer gauge instead. Or it was a smooth trail downhill all the way with a tailwind.

Old 06-09-2002, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

I get 12 mpg and sometimes worse than that , depending on the kind of rideing I'm doing. I've gotten as low as 8 mpg rideing all trails at low speeds, crawling over trees and rocks useing low gear.

Old 06-09-2002, 10:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Northstar,
i'm puzzled hearing all the problems your having. what is the production date of your ATV? you can find it on the 'co' they gave you when you bought the machine.
is it an early or late production?
-MT
(BTW, if you have returned for service 3 times for the same problem chances are you qualify for a lemon law case.)

Old 06-10-2002, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

First off let me start by saying I know the diff. between kilometers and mph. You need to ride the silver piaute trail and tell me if most of the trails are down hill. I put this thread out to inform people not mislead them on how my 700 performed on the trail. I would bet titles that with reserve I can get 75-80 miles of mountain riding on my 4/09/02 (build date) 700. But then again I don't want your POS either.

If you didn't know MPG = miles driven/fuel consumed

HAVE A NICE DAY NORTHSTAR!

Old 06-13-2002, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

whoops, I was just teasing, I didn't mean to get you all wound up. And I have to agree with you, you definitely wouldn't want mine! I don't know what my production date is, Ill have to try to figure it out. I bought it in early January of this year, and it is the black and gray style.

sorry!

Old 06-14-2002, 06:52 AM
Trailblazer

i just got rid of my sp700,,leaking all the time from water pump,,had it fixed twice,,still leaked,,traded for my sp500ho freedom,,,i liked the 700 for the power,,but i was dumping gas in it all the time,,,only had 130 mile on it ,,i think i filled the take 8 times,,coolant leaking out,,looked like coolant in the oil ,,dealer said no,,took to another dealer and got the same price i paid for it on trade in..

i am real happy i traded,,,the 500 is real smooth, and it doesnt have all the clunking and gears rattleing around when going over rough trails..
i liked the 700,,maybe get one again in a few years when they are dependable..

Old 06-14-2002, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Slewpumper...you said, "Any body says these 700's drink gas is crazy"....you say you went 65 miles...plus 12 on reserve...total of 77 miles..the tank on a 700 is 4.75 gallons....that works out to 16.2 miles per gallon...that sure ain't what i'd call good gas mileage...and my friends who have the 700's definitely do NOT get even that much...one hell of a nice ride though.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

ALL I can say is you guys that are getting only 12 mpg have something wrong with your bikes. Me and one other guy had 700's and we both got at least 65 miles before we had to switch them to reserve. I'm even running 27 inch mud machines. I think for a atv this size getting 80 miles out of a tank of gas is great. My 99 500 didn't get that much better. Now I am talking trail riding. I have worked the machine around the farm pulling a trailer and the gas milage then goes in the toilet.

Old 06-14-2002, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer

Fellas,
Been out of town but now am back!!My 700 has not been too dependable. Manufactured on Sep 17, 2001: Problems:
1. Fuel Fittings from tank leaking.
2. Greese fitting fell out of rear arm.
3. Stator went bad.
4. Leaking anti-freeze out of water pump. Fixed but now in shop again for recall since it was still leaking after 1st fix.
Anyways, not sure about the gas milage.

Very Picky,
Talked with you before on lemon thing. I am curious about your carb problems. Can you explain what's going on?

One more thing....The first time my greese fitting fell out, Big Meadow Farm equipment in East Jordan Michigan fixed the problem by placing JB weld in around the fitting and placing it back in the hole. BAD DEALER AND BAD SERVICE... Took to closer Polaris dealer (Classic Motor Sports in Traverse City) after greese fitting fell out again and new dealer replaced entire rear arm. GREAT SERVICE!!!

Just wanted to get that out for anyone in the area!!!

Thanks

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2002, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

Flight
I'll try to explain the problems with my carb. It has run rich since the thing was new. It has fouled out plugs on 3 different ocassions. It now has about 670 miles on it. I have had it to the dealer 3 times for the carb problems and 2 different mechanics have worked on it. The last time it was there, they set everything back to factory specs, replaced the #155 jet with a #162.5 jet(this is the jet that the service manual calls for at my altitude), and replaced the needle jet. Still the same story. I put new plugs in and immediately (without giving it a chance to idle much) ran it 1/2 to full throttle for about 2 1/2 miles. I took a plug out and it was on the white side ( running lean ). I suspect that it is fouling the plugs at idle. I am going to lean the pilot screw 1/8 turn and let it idle for a while to see if that helps the rich condition at idle. The lean condition from 1/2 to full is another problem. I'm not sure if I want to tackle that problem since I don't know a whole lot about carbs. So I have 2 problems: Running rich at idle and lean from 1/2 to full throttle. I hope that made some sense. I do know that I'm getting tired of fooling with this 700. It is as bad as my 500 was good.

Quick Reply: 5 days/550 miles on new SP700