Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tank saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000, 09:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a set of these from Highlifter (made by IPI ) and they attach on each side with Velcro, not the hot set-up! The velcro will not stay on the tanks sides. Does anyone have another type of bag which does not use the velcro or any ideas how to keep the bags from flopping all over? Thanks

Old 03-08-2000, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

I've got the same problem (sort of) in that I didn't want to stick the velcro part on the tank. I haven't figured it out yet, and I'm not familiar with the bottom edge of a Polaris tank, but on my Grizzly there is an edge that a hook could be hooked on. Why not get yourself some elastic with a wide, flat hook and sew it to the tank side of your tank bags short enough that the elastic has to be stretched and then when you put the tank bag on you just stretch the hooks down on each side and hook them on the bottom of the tank?

Old 03-08-2000, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put something useful in both sides of the saddle bags.She'll not flop around to bad than.At least it does'nt on the Sportsman.===BILL

Old 03-08-2000, 10:18 PM
Range Rover

Griz- Don!t you think that after spending $$ for these bags that the manufacturers would figure out a better way ( such as yours) of attaching them? Another thing I was looking at was the bags connstant moving around will eventually scratch and scuff the tanks side, no less wear the decals off. I may just send them back> I wonder how the Cabelas and others attach?

Old 03-08-2000, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, I think that for the prices ATV accessories are bringing there could be a little (read a lot)more thought and quality put into these specialty products. I have the Cabela's and they attach with the Velcro like your IPI, like Moose, like probably most of them. They will also scratch the tank somewhat as they wiggle around. What are you gonna do? The main reason I wanted mine was for a place to carry a soda, or a water bottle and cell phone, etc. I'm also going to modify mine like I suggested. The bags that intrigue me the most, however, are Cabela's fender bags. Installed on the front fenders they would be unobtrusive and allow me ample storage for tie down straps, tree saver straps, ****** blocks, etc. and would leave my racks free for coolers, deer and other bulky stuff. They're $34.99 (black) and $39.99 (Advantage Camo).

Old 03-08-2000, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

I just packed the bags up and sending thhem back to Highlifter! After $40+shipping, I am not going to re-engineer them!!! Look at the Cabelas Website-their saddlebags are held on with adjustable web straps. The bags made by IPI put the velcro righht where the side cooling vents are so The strips won!t fit anyway! In the mounting instructions it say not to put the velco on these vents, NO KIDDING!! Theres nothing there to attach to!They are back to Highlifter tomorrow.

Old 03-08-2000, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

pete/ny
I HAVE the Cabela's tank bag. Yes, that is what the website says and so does their Master Catalog. However, that refers to the adjustable straps at the TOP of the bag that allow you to change the height at which the bag rides on the side of the tank. The inside bottom of the bag is still secured to the tank with a velcro attachment. "Loop" on the bag and "hook" on an adhesive strip you're supposed to stick on the side of the tank.

Old 03-08-2000, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

I've used tank bags on a 91 Polaris 350L and now on my Foreman. I bought the bags at the local Polaris dealer and there is no name on them. Both bags attached securely with velcro on the tank and neither has scratched the tank or affected the decals and I think it would take a blow torch to remove the velcro ( Held strong for 3 1/2 years on the Polaris and for 8 months so-far on the Foreman ). They are one of the most useful Add-ons I have come across. They are great for glasses, goggles, truck keys, wallet, talkabout, cell phone and a million other things. The bags are also held in place by unscrewing the gas cap and placing them over the tank nozzle, on the Foreman it's a tight fit and would probably be enough to secure the bag without using the velcro but on the Polaris the tank nozzle was smaller and the bag just hung in place. In either case, I removed the bags while trailering and I think this saves alot of wear and tear on both the ATV and the bag itself. I personally think that once you try the bag that you'll find that it's extremely handy and is well worth the cost. My $ .02

Old 03-08-2000, 11:06 PM
Range Rover

THANKS- I am going to stop by the dealer tomorrow to see what theirs are like.

Old 03-08-2000, 11:09 PM
Range Rover

Griz- You are right- the Cabelas bags are held on with Velcro to. The straps can be adjusted to raise or lower the bags, may be what I need to clear those air vents on each side of tank.Thanks, now I am totally confused on what to do.