Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Against Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg/Tex,

How do you guys feel the 500 HO (or non HO) compares to the 700 in the mud? I have always read that the HO is geared very low in low range and has pretty good bottom end power.

I'm very happy with mine so far and I ride in the same mud that Rincon has described.

Old 07-12-2002, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

RINCON;
I have not been on the run you describe as i live on the east coast of NFLD.( Paradise to be exact,it's a suburb on the outskirts of our capital city St. John's ) I recently went with some friends to central NFLD ( Grand Falls) and we had a blast...logging roads (like highways)that stretched forever into the deep forest...AWSOME!!! As for the P650 that you saw leaking coolant thats too bad...maybe a mud-caked rad caused it to over-heat? I drive mine like a rabid savage and it still want's more...it has performed flawlessly. Choosing this quad was and is the best decision i could have made.I have 800kms on mine in the last couple months, and I still come back after a good ride and shake my head as to what an amazing rig this is. I am not sure if you are in the market or not but a P650 for $8500.00 ( Canadian ) is a steal.Thats about $5400-$5500 give or take in US funds. Tear the dealers arm off ,laugh your way to the bank , take the BEAST home and have the best time of your life!!!

PS; If you or anyone do consider this rig...buy after market tires ( the stockers are subject to flats ) and With this engine under you, good traction would work wonders. I'm spinning the *** off mine all the time to warrant buying a new set. I am having ALOT of fun doing so. As for rising the front wheels off the ground... On pavement pin the throttle in low or high and you will stand straight up!!! On loose dirt it spins way too much with the stock tires... But where there is traction you better watch yourself cause SHE LOVES TO WHEELIE!!!!

ROB

Old 07-12-2002, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

HomerS,
In my opinion, I think the SP500s are still the best mudder around. They have the same GC as the 700, and they have plenty of low end to turn the tires. It is a proven design and engine failures are very rare since the fixed the cam problem. Personally, I have a 2000 SP500, and I have had no cam problems. I had a discussion with the tech at HighLifter a while back and asked him what he though was the best performing mud quad while maintain reliability. He said that without a doubt, the SP500 was the best he has seen. He even prefers the NON HO because they are tuned for low end torque more than the HOs. I was considering a 700 at the time, and decided to just keep my 500. I have had 28" Zillas, 28" Outlaws, 26" Outlaws, 27" Blackwater XTs, 27" Bi/Tri Claws, and 27" mud Bugs. I have had no problems turning any of them. I would advise against a lift kit, it will only cost you. I would reccomend the progressive setup in the front to provide clearance. It takes the sag out of the suspension while keeping the struts bottomed out in the housing. It is a reliable setup that is adjustable to different riding conditions.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

It's important to remember that there is differenty types of mud. When I go on poker/dice runs, there are usually mud holes but traction can be found at the bottom. IRS 4x4's are best here. If I ride behind my house (designated state swamp lands), then there is no bottom to the mud and it doesn't matter if you have a lifted IRS quad or a straight axle quad. You bottom out no matter what vehicle. Whichever has the best tires and most power to throw a roost is seems the best. So just because an article said that the sportsman 700 was the best mudder doesn't mean that it is the best mudder in general. It was the best mudder for those conditions at that time.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info Greg.

Tires are still stock at the moment, but did notice that the front is a little soft with just the weight of the winch. Bought some spring rubbers for now.

Your posts actually helped me pick the 500. I love the ride, ground clearance, power and true 4wd and I am not afraid of a little maintenance. The seat is super comfortable as well - never thought I would even care about that, but on long rides it's nice.

Have a great weekend.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

HomerS, i see you live in Halifax, i live in Truro, nice to see some local guys around here. the sp700 is a bigger overall machine, but the clutch is sluggish. a lot of people like the 500 better

Old 07-12-2002, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Please, please do not think that all mud around here is like what you saw in the pictures. FWP where the shootout is a very popular place to ride, but they mud there maybe 30 days a year. The rest is all sandy water and ruts. At that place IRS is the king. Other places down here have the thick gumbo mud where I still dont feel IRS has any advantage.

Old 07-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer

Tex,

I know what you mean. If there is a solid bottom IRS can have an advantage as ground clearance often becomes an issue. Really deep, thick mud would tend to equalize machines since neither would be able to get a solid grip on anything. These conditions would probably tend to favor momentum, wheel speed, and lighter weight.

P.S. The Rubicon was also on my list, but there was too much of a price difference to justify it. Helluva nice machine,though.

Old 07-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer

Double post.

Old 07-13-2002, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

I truly think that Polaris has potential. They have always demonstrated forward thinking, and the results are usually favourable (with a couple of exceptions, like the push-rod 700) they are definitely only for the mechanically inclined though, due to the maintenence factor. I read a quote somewhere that seems to fit...."Polaris makes a truly great 4 wheeler,too bad they break all of the time" (And for the record.... I'm NOT slamming anyone!)

Quick Reply: Against Polaris?