Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Against Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most atv magazines are against polaris genrally. wouldn't you agree? well anyways i think it is because polaris has been around so long and the magazines are looking for something "new" to be the best, not always polaris. Even know the main goal of the other brands is to catch up to polaris. so that is what i think about the magazine articles...definantly one sided.......what do u all think?

Old 07-10-2002, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

since the 911 attack on USA i think that the mag's have liked polaris' because they're made in america. like the test of the high lifter quads, totaly bogus. the sp700 has no bottom end, yet they said it was the best mudder. when talking about power they gave bottom end to the 650 kawi, and mid to top to the sp700. even thought they said that the (canadaian made) Quest litterly blew away everthing. they said the weight of the sp700 was a plus in the mud, mabey in the watery stuff, but where i come from the mud is thick and goey, making weight a disadvantage. they said they only thing they didn't like about the quest was its looks, and they placed it in last just cause its looks didn't turn their crank. i guess it all depends on who's the main sponsor in the mag for that month

Old 07-10-2002, 11:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Rincon,
where are you from?
-MT

Old 07-11-2002, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I can only think of one situation where weight is a plus when it comes to mud and that is going uphill. Any other time if you think sinking down deeper into the mud for more traction is better, remember that when the frame bottoms out, you will go no deeper and have alot of friction trying to drag the frame across the mud. 9 times out of 10, if you stay on top of the mud, you will still be moving.

Matt

Old 07-11-2002, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

I think any bias they have it towards who buys the biggest, fanciest ad in their mag.

Farmr

Old 07-11-2002, 08:40 AM
Range Rover

I don't know which type of ATV you are discussing (I have no idea about the 4-wheel drive ATV's Polaris makes) but in my opinion Polaris does not have a good handle on the sport quad universe. They are too big and too heavy to keep up with the lighter more agile quads (the hondas, yamahas, suzuki's, etc..). Polaris sport quads make good power when you mod the heck out of it. I know that I for one would like to get a great performing quad off the show room floor and then start my mods and that is not what Polaris makes, they make a quad for the guy who isn't going to beat on it and ride it hard, they make quads for people who sit back and enjoy a nice easy ride. There is nothing wrong with that and so far I think they have been happy to fill that niche, it has worked for them they sell a lot of quads. Hopefully the new Predator will raise the bar for them, I am eager to see what this thing will do. Sorry to get on the soap box but I for one have had a lot of problems with my Polaris and I am sure some of you have noticed in some of my rants. I love the idea of them being made in the US but they have a long way to go before they become a leader in the sport quad industry.

Balzak
2003 Suzuki Z400 (stock for now)
2000 Polaris 400 Scrambler 2x4 (modded and then some)
1998 Yamaha Warrior (some nice mods)

Old 07-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Rincon wrote:

"since the 911 attack on USA i think that the mag's have liked polaris' because they're made in america. like the test of the high lifter quads, totaly bogus. the sp700 has no bottom end, yet they said it was the best mudder. when talking about power they gave bottom end to the 650 kawi, and mid to top to the sp700. even thought they said that the (canadaian made) Quest litterly blew away everthing. they said the weight of the sp700 was a plus in the mud, mabey in the watery stuff, but where i come from the mud is thick and goey, making weight a disadvantage. they said they only thing they didn't like about the quest was its looks, and they placed it in last just cause its looks didn't turn their crank. i guess it all depends on who's the main sponsor in the mag for that month "

You were not there and do not have all the facts. This article had nothing to do with advertisers. Some of the people that judged the bikes have historically been anti-Polaris. But, when it came down to it, none of the other bikes could compete with the all round performance of the SP700. There were alot of other complaints regarding the Quest. While it was the fastest, it handled the worst. It did not have the Ground Clearance to compete against the 700 in the mud. That was a mud shootout, not a drag competition. They just threw in the drag for fun. If I remember correctly, the Quest tranny locked up that day or shortly thereafter, and since then has needed an entirely new motor. Also, the air intake on the Quest is not located in a good spot, and it the transmission is not vented properly for mud either.

Keep in mind that hardcore mudders rated these different quads. People that ride in real mud all the time. They gave their honest opinion and the 700 won overall in these particular conditions. My guess is that most of the people that participated know more about mudding than you. I have ridden with them for years. There was a time that none of them would have owned a Polaris. They realize that Polaris has come around over the last few years, and nothing else manufactured today can compete reliably in the mud. The Owner of Highlifter (who used to ride Honda) now rides Polaris. His father also rides Polaris. Many of the other guys there and some that were involved in the competition do not ride Polaris, but all of them would consider one after watching the performance of these quads over the last few years.

That is my 2 cents. From reading your other post, I expect your reply to be rude. I hope I am wrong.

Greg

Old 07-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Personally, I thought that the HighLifter test was one of the most UNbiased ones I have seen in a long time.

My complaint is that some mags (you know who I mean) seem to have something great to say about their advertisers. Some of the things I have read in their articles (I don't even buy them any more, just leaf through them while the Mrs. is trying on clothes):
The HO has a 'dated' pushrod engine.
The Rubicon has a 'technically advanced' pushrod engine.
The 700, which is a single carb twin, with self-adusting tappets, is still 'dated' though.
However, all is not lost, as the Foreman's use 'tried and true' technology.

Not that they are wrong or anything, it is just that with some manufacturers, they show the points of light, with others, points of darkness.

I STILL get a chucle out of the one I read where they said they much preferred the Foreman 400 over an Xplorer 400 in their 'spirited trail ride' test part of a 400cc utility machine shootout. As a matter of fact, the Xplorer tested #1 in pulling power, top speed, acceleration, was 2nd only to the Sportsman 400 in ride quality ground clearance,& mud ability, and was highly rated in rack capacity. However, it was either last or next to last in the shootout. I don't think the Sportsman fared very well, either. Funny those qualities were overshadowed by 'low center of gravity' which was about the only thing their pick had over either of the two Polaris machines.

However, I DO think things are getting better, as the bias isn't as blatent as it used to be.

Farmr

Old 07-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

gregsims: were you their when they did the test, or are you trying to sound smart?? i seen those pics and the mud is just "water" and the only thing that got them stuck was the deep ruts formed from the many bikes that go through it. bombardier quads are reliable, they must have gotten a bad one, every manufacturer has them, especially polaris. the polaris has lots of G/C therefor it can clear the ruts in the "water" holes. is this message good, or is it too rude for your likings?

Old 07-11-2002, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Your reply was a little nicer than I expected and I appreciate it.

I was not there that day, but I ride with HighLifter alot. Wheater it is water with ruts or thick mud, I have yet to see anything outmud their 700. TexMud was their and participated. I talked to him that day and I talked to several others a few days after the competition. I have watched Sportsmans dominte the mud over and over. I am not trying to say that all Bombs are junk. He just happened to have problems with his. I am saying the design does not allow it to compete the SPs. It has a lack of ground clearance and poor ventilation.

You mentioned that the 700 has poor low end. Have you ridden one in the mud with 28" Outlaws. While the design causes it to rev more than most before engaging, it turns the tires with ease even in the thick stuff.

Greg

BTW, I am not trying to sound smart. I was trying to shed some light on the competition and give the shootout some credibility. It was performed by unbiased people for the most part. If there was any bias, it was against Polaris in the beginning.

Quick Reply: Against Polaris?