Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help to JAZZ it up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2000, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wanting to post here for a while and I think now I know what I am looking for and I am hoping that there is someone out there who can help me find it..

I own a 97 Scrambler 500. I have some questions about it. I am currently have 25" bi-claws on the front and 25"tri-claws on the back. I have an Aaen silencer-which I am not sure of. The pipe itself is stock and with this Aaen attachment I noticed a little more umph but it is extremely loud. So loud that people I ride with complain and I would like to know what to do about it.. On top of that it is about six months old and is really showing signs of rust and doesn't look that good. My question is, am I missing something here? Should I have a pipe and silencer..maybe I am confused about this.. The Aaen part starts right under the rear fender, from there forward it is stock.

Question number 2.
Can you find a K&N kit for the 97 Scrambler. I am wanting to get the filter and rejet. And possibly looking into a larger airbox.. Does anyone have any recomendations on this. I don't think that I want to go with a clutch kit on it because I am affraid that I would loose the low end and I like to trail ride it. I have been told that maybe just changing the spring would help me..

Questions # 3
I am really wanting to make it look better. I have bought some of the accessories and have placed them on and it helps. I am currently trying to remove all of the stickers.Does anyone know of something besides Manuel Labor to get these off(Manuel doesn't live at my house). And can anyone help me with finding some good replacement decals that would help set it off. I have searched the net and havn't found anything that I like..I am looking maybe for some yellow flames that would look good with the purple plastic or just something different..and I am looking for decals not stickers with silly sayings..

I could go on and on..but this is enough for now..

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Tony

97 Scrambler 500 99 Explorer 400

Old 03-16-2000, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Tony, you're not missing anything as far as the pipe goes. I would guess that none of the pipes available for the 500 are much better than any of the others. I put a Supertrapp IDS2 on that came with a head pipe and I have not noticed a huge increase in power. Instead of spending $60 on a jet kit, save up and get a 40 or 42mm carburetor and get rid of the 34mm that came on it. A clutch kit will not hurt your bottom end, but you can add some acceleration just by changing your primary spring and weights instead of going with the whole kit. But if you can afford it, a kit or a roller clutch are good investments

Old 03-16-2000, 02:33 PM
Range Rover

Check with RCR for go fast parts. I got the stage 1 kit for my '98 400 and it really brought my Scrambler to life. Not sure what he has for the 500 but I'm sure Rick Ritter knows something about them. The clutch mods work great, I have the
primary (white) & secondary (purple) springs on mine and they are great for trail riding. I was worried about slow going parts of the trail but the springs don't affect that at all, you only notice a difference when you hit the gas!

Aren't you supposed to keep the front tire one size bigger than the back? Shouldn't your rear tire be one size smaller than the front. I know you can go bigger but I thought you were supposed to keep the size difference from front to rear the same? Does 25" all around work good on your Scrambler? Even my '93 350 4X4 has a front that's one size bigger.

Old 03-16-2000, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

I am not exactly sure about the size of the fronts and the rears.. I may have only looked at the rears and not the fronts/or vice versa. I purchased this bike from the Polaris dealer with the tires already on it. I have been told that it will cause the quad to wear quicker,,,but I love it...Those tires stand out...makes it look like a monster truck..The fronts have the wheels turned inside out and the rears have extenders on them...(you know---"Wider is better"---)

Tony

Old 03-16-2000, 03:25 PM
Range Rover

I think the larger front tire helps with steering.
If you got it from a dealer like that it must be OK. I'm going to try swapping the tires from my '93 350 4X4 to my '98 Scrambler 400 to see how it muds. But I think the stock sizes are the hot setup for dry summer trails. Did you check out RCR's web site?

Old 03-16-2000, 04:14 PM
Range Rover

I believe James Lucky has a large yellow flame kit for about $30.

Old 03-16-2000, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

Hey thanks...

I looked for the flame kit but couldn't find anything...Can you tell me where it may be??

Oh... and I want one of those for my Scrambler..
the scrambleror maybe 400ex on the main page...
Tony

Old 03-16-2000, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

I guess it may not be on their website. Sorry about that. It is in their catalog at the bottom of page 7. It is a skull/flame design. The flames are yellow and orange mainly with a bluish or purple outline around the edges. The description says that the decals are 5"x19" and the cost is $29.95. Hope this helps.