Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

why 4 strokes??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< 4stroke engines,we will end up to 800-900 cc motor quads that can only put out 60 hp... >>

the YZ450, and CRF450 make close to 60HP, when modded they prob. reach 60HP, my brothers cr250 makes 60HP, and these 4 bangers are just as powerful as the 250's.

there's one drawback to 4 strokes, as a moto wears on the ridder goes slower and slower, JSR (jon sabatien roy) uses the 250, because the 4 stroke is too heavy and wears him out as the race goes on.

Old 07-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

o k man,thanks for the infos,but THOSE are MOTOCROSS/DIRT BIKE engines and have nothing to do in the sport quad market yet,an dirt bike motor is not intended to the same thing as an atv,it is because of that the the new polaris predator engine WAS built around an high performance sport quad ride...not a motocross.

Old 07-30-2002, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

<< the YZ450, and CRF450 make close to 60HP, when modded they prob. reach 60HP, my brothers cr250 makes 60HP, and these 4 bangers are just as powerful as the 250's. >>

Not to mention that you have to rebuild these &quot;high performance 4 stroke motors&quot; every 3-4 races. The technology on four strokes has basically caught up with 1970-80's two stroke technology. I remember a time (the old air cooled motocross days) when you had to rebuild a two stroke every three to four races to keep the performance level up. This is still what you have to do with the newer four strokes. Maybe the factory guys can afford to do this, but I can't.

<< Yep that why top fuel dragsters all use glorified 2 strokes ( Have any idea how moch power they squeeze out of a fairly small 4 stroke? >>

El Rancho,

You're talking apples and oranges here, guy. Do you have any idea how many times these drag racing motors blow up during races? And when they do blow up, they only have to be towed a couple of hundred nice smooth yards to the pit area, not from 10 to 20 miles of rocks from out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-31-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

<< Not to mention that you have to rebuild these &quot;high performance 4 stroke motors&quot; every 3-4 races. >>

pro riders rebuild a 2 stroke every race, i know it's less expensive to rebuild a 2 stroke, but 3-4 two stroke rebuilds=1 four stroke rebuild, not to mention some guys go though a clutch every race.

<< ,but THOSE are MOTOCROSS/DIRT BIKE engines and have nothing to do in the sport quad market yet,an dirt bike motor is not intended to the same thing as an atv >>

ya, your right, a motorbike engine is way more powerful. they detune it, which i don't know why, if anything they should up-grade it, afterall a quad engine pushes around 100-150 more pounds

Old 07-31-2002, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

Also, they should beef up the transmission and clutch to take the extra wear and tear that the quads extra traction provides. I don't know how many times I've seen it. Burned up clutches and busted gearboxes because most quads have about 4-5 times the traction of your average dirt/street bike. Most manufacturers already know this, but sometimes they forget. The Yamaha Raptor 2001 model year comes to mind as does the older 400EXs. (not bashing brands here, just stating some facts)

Old 07-31-2002, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

yeah that it,you got it,with the more traction atv have at the rear wheels (because 2 tires) do you think the manufacturers will put those &quot;high performance 4 strokes&quot; racing/engines in a quad that must accept some more obvious standards of safety and power,no.
for real they're more powerful (motorbike) but thy're intended for racing,not for trail riding like an atv,so ALL atv on the market til now is HEAVILY detuned...

Old 07-31-2002, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

A bike is a lot lighter and has a lot less rolling resistance. A bike can get away with almost no bottom end power.
A quad needs the power in the lower revs, and that is the &quot;DETUNING&quot; they do. Its still the most power they can make - with the low end grunt. They had to do it with the Z,and will have to do the same with the Yamaha and Honda, no way around it, except for using a bigger engine. My guess is thats why Polaris used 500cc, that alows them to use a hotter motor and still have some low end power.

Old 07-31-2002, 03:20 PM
Range Rover

One thing you can't all forget is that you aren't the only people in the market for an ATV. Talk to your dealers, regardless of brand, a lot of people come searching for 4 strokes. Most ATV buyers, sport or utility, don't even know a 400ex or Foreman exist when they buy their Raptor or Grizzly, unless it's a multi-line dealer. You would be how surprised how ignorant most buyers are these days. Granted there are some areas where dealers are in a niche market of vast amounts of riding area with educated buyers, but overall it's not the case. In the end, what you buy this year determines whether or not it will be a 4-stroke or 2-stroke next year.

Old 07-31-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

so everyone,BUY 2 stroke this year,ahaha...
no,not really,buy what fit most your need and enjoy the outdoors.

Old 08-01-2002, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

MegaCrash
You're wrong. There's the DRZ 400 &amp; the DRZ 400E. Both use identical engines, except one uses electric start. Then there's the on road/off road DRZ 400S. It has lower compression, a carburetor designed for fuel efficiency and is the engine Suzuki's sport quad uses.

Now unless you can explain to me how lower compression and a crappy carburetor designed for fuel efficiency increases low end torque, you're wrong.

The manufacturers (except Cannondale) think we're a bunch of drunken rednecks who will hurt ourselves and sue them if they give us a quad with the same power as a dirt bike.

Quick Reply: why 4 strokes??