Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

why 4 strokes??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think meagcrash was talking about the bike engine <u>VS</u>the quad engine. i could be wrong, but this is how i understod his post

Old 08-01-2002, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Mega was comparing the two and the Z engine is different from the bike engine. It has different cams as well as a few other changes that help the bottom end and they seem to work very well.

Old 08-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

The Z400 has 11.3 to 1 compression and a Mikuni 36BSR, its only a 400cc 4Stroke and makes 33 Horse at the crank and has enough torque to pull 600 pounds (Bike wet plus rider) with near Raptor acceleration. Thats fairly impressive to me.
And Zookirider is right, Badelk is wrong.
The DRZ400E, DRZ400S and Z400 all have different cams and timing specs, different rev limits, and so on. The Z400 is not just the DRZ400S motor bolted into the quad.
Also the Mikuni BSR carbs are similar in theory to a Quadrajet. A smaller carb helps increase low end torque, while a bigger carp loses the low end torque but gives more top end peak HP (Compared to each other on the the same motor). I think they used this BSR to help boost the bottom end some, but still give good WOT performance. Seams to me it worked out fairly well.

Old 08-01-2002, 03:42 PM
Range Rover

&quot;The manufacturers (except Cannondale) think we're a bunch of drunken rednecks who will hurt ourselves and sue them if they give us a quad with the same power as a dirt bike. &quot;

Hahaha, it's funny you mention that. You obviously haven't been down to Texas lately. I don't drink and ride, I don't even ride without a helmet. Unfortionatly, a lot of people down here whether hunting or out at a riding park are drunk off their @$$. I've sat in on &quot;focus groups&quot; where a manufacture representative (in this case head of a design division) comes down and has a meeting and invites people to trash out their products, and give ideas for updates and new models. A lot of guys at the group were asking for beer holders, places to mount their pistols within easy reach, and all sorts of crazy things. When the rep presented the saftey concerns to these request, as well as ones for having room to stand up on ATVs, the reply he got was &quot;if we're too drunk know what we're doing just let us do it anyway.&quot; His reply was, &quot;I love Texas.&quot;

Moral of the story, we aren't the only riders/buyers out there. Stupid saftey measures are needed to cover themselves because of stupid people out there. And sales numbers speak loudest for what works and what doesn't. Besides the 2/4 stroke issue, what about Polaris single lever brakes on utility machines? You hate them, I hate them, Dirt Wheels hates them. But ask you dealer to count how many of his customers hate them, or how many sales he has lost to Yamaha or Honda because of it. Chances are, very very few.

It's like when a car magazine complains that the new city bus doesn't have a manual transmission, and how much more enjoyable it would be if it had tighter suspension. True, but how many city bus drivers care? That was an exageration, but if you read car mags you know what I'm talking about. Manufactures cater to the majority market.

Old 08-01-2002, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Before I bought the Z I had a 60 pluss HP Scrambler. That thing was WAY to fast for its own good. ATV tires are basicallly big balloons, and do a major stretch when you realy get going fast. ATVs are inherently unstable at high speeds because of the tires.
You'll probably never see 100MPH ATV's unless the tires on these things get a major break through. Problem is if you make one firm enough to hold shape at 100 MPH it would be so stiff it would be like a big round rock and beat you to death on the trails.
I have owned street bike that went over 140MPH and loved it. My old Scrambler was probably good for nearly 80MPH and it was a white nuckle experiance at best.

Old 08-01-2002, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

sp700 tires should do the trick then. lol

Old 08-02-2002, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

<<

<< 4stroke engines,we will end up to 800-900 cc motor quads that can only put out 60 hp... >>

the YZ450, and CRF450 make close to 60HP, when modded they prob. reach 60HP, my brothers cr250 makes 60HP, and these 4 bangers are just as powerful as the 250's.

there's one drawback to 4 strokes, as a moto wears on the ridder goes slower and slower, JSR (jon sabatien roy) uses the 250, because the 4 stroke is too heavy and wears him out as the race goes on.
>>

None of these bikes makes 60 hp. Sorry. These bikes make HP in the mid-upper 40s. If you would like to refute my claim, please post the dyno runs to prove otherwise. Rincon, it seems that on many threads you post things that are half-truths at best.

In response to the original post, the others that have mentioned the enviro-whackos have it right on....two-strokes are going the way of the dinosaur due to perceived &quot;pollution&quot; problem, true or not. That's why in all areas of motorized off road recreation (Motorcycles, ATVs, boating, even snowmobiles) you are seeing the development of 4-stroke technology and the relative stagnation of the two-stroke. The manufacturers know that the two-stroke is on it's last legs and are developing the 4-stroke engines for the future.

Old 08-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

sorry you're wrong, a done up 250 (2 stroke) makes close to 60HP (so do make 60+) this is the full truth. a '02 CR250 makes more HP than a '92 CR500, so mabey you're behind the 8 ball on 2 stroke HP

Old 08-02-2002, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

Elk,
the z400 actually has more compression than the bike does. this, along with a smaller carb gives it more bottem end.

Old 08-02-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Govt.is cracking down on 2-strokes due to emission reasons,they are very dirty engines.You wont be able to even buy a 2-stroke chainsaw or weedwacker here in Cali when the dealer stock is depleted.

So go to Homebase now and stock up on chainsaws and such to put on ebay later! lol

Quick Reply: why 4 strokes??